So is The Biggest Loser officially done?

The ignorance being spewed in this thread is absolutely ludicrous.

It Litterely says that the people said they didn’t have the time to work out and or couldn’t afford gym memberships etc.

So yes lack of will power. Didn’t make the time to at least walk 30 mins a day and spent money on binge treats instead of a gym membership.

Dude, I just read through the article again and you are literally making this shit up.

No where does it say anyone can't afford a gym membership. Nowhere does it say they didn't have time to workout.

If they are burning less calories than other people they simply need to eat less than other people and/or do more exercise. What is the issue exactly?

The issue is that if their metabolisms are so badly damaged that the expectations regarding diet and exercise are unreasonable, then that's a problem.

If the average 200 lb man can maintain his weight on 2200 calories, but because of what happened on the show a 200 lb contestant who appeared on the show is resigned to a 1400 calorie diet to achieve the same feat, then you can't just blow that off.

I didn't say they stopped exercising. Honestly, that article was written in a manner that made me feel like the author was ultimately prescribing that being obese is ok because it's a disease they have no control over, yet they described in multiple scenarios about binge eating and how much of struggle it was to not over eat or not be motivated.

I've been there - people lie or at least are not truthful to themselves. Doing what it takes to keep fit is not easy for most people. Having to rely on yourself to be strict on what you put into your body as well as how you use your body is very tough, especially as you get older. These people were fat most of their lives and spent weeks on a show where their trainers were holding them accountable. If they didn't have that motivation after all was said and done, they were only truly setting themselves up for failure. There are people who have diseases that lead to obesity in spite of a decent will power. But the truth is, most people don't have the will power and lie to themselves about what they're actually ingesting and how much they work out.

It does say some of them had trouble with their diet.

But that has nothing to do with the study that shows theit metabolisms, which would normally be expected to bounce back, simply have not done so.

A normal person can have a less-then-perfect diet and still not get fat as hell. I mean, I drink a 12 pack of beer 3 to 4 times a week, and eat like shit a lot of the time, and my weight stays around 165 regardless. That's a little heavier than I would like, but it does underscore the fact that these guys are facing some kind of challenge that I don't personally face. And there's a medical study showing that at least part of that challenge is due to what they were put through on the show.

There has been lots of criticism, especially from previous contestants. Allegations of crash dieting instead of healthy dieting, prescription of illegal weight loss substances like Ephedra, the coaches encouraging contestants to lose water weight to pump their numbers up even though everyone agreed not to do that, lasting negative physical effects from the extreme weight loss methods, contestants' injuries being ignored by medical staff, psychological abuse whenever a contestant would question something. . . All kinds of shit.

Crazy shit if true, but I wouldn't be surprised. Still I don't believe the blame can be put all on the show. I'm sure the contestants (who knows what number of them) didn't do their part when going back home.

Crazy shit if true, but I wouldn't be surprised. Still I don't believe the blame can be put all on the show. I'm sure the contestants (who knows what number of them) didn't do their part when going back home.

Well the discussion here is specifically about whether or not the methods used on the show damaged these people's metabolism in a way that a normal exercise program would not.

I haven't read the study, but does it control for the possibility that being 300+ pounds for many years permanently damaged their metabolism? From (quickly) scanning the thread, it seems like the comparison is made between Biggest Loser veterans and people who were never morbidly obese, rather than Biggest Loser veterans and people who lost hundreds of pounds my more "conventional" means.

I haven't read the study, but does it control for the possibility that being 300+ pounds for many years permanently damaged their metabolism? From (quickly) scanning the thread, it seems like the comparison is made between Biggest Loser veterans and people who were never morbidly obese, rather than Biggest Loser veterans and people who lost hundreds of pounds my more "conventional" means.

I don't think that's information we have at this time. But it is worth bearing in mind that researchers are the NIH aren't going to be scrubs.

For the record, what is the NIH exactly? Well:

The National Institutes of Health is the primary agency of the United States government responsible for biomedical and public health research, founded in the late 1870s.

To listen to some of the posters in here, who got all this figured out, they really should consider offering their services as consultants so they can set the NIH straight.

That's a good question. Hell, I'd just like to know what percentage of the contestants period actually kept the weight off.

Here's something interesting from Wikipedia:

In 2016, the results of a long term study by the US National Institute of Health (NIH) were released that documented the weight gain and loss of contestants in Season 8, which aired in 2009. The study found that most of the 16 contestants regained their weight, and in some case gained more than before they entered the contest. Their metabolisms had slowed to the point where they were burning hundreds of calories a day less than other people of their new, reduced, size. The New York Times reported: "What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover... It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight." The article quoted Dr. Michael Rosenbaum who said, "The difficulty in keeping weight off reflects biology, not a pathological lack of willpower."

After the study results were revealed, former contestants demanded NBC cancel the show.

That just sounds like a bad study. That's not how the metabolism works.

I don't think that's information we have at this time. But it is worth bearing in mind that researchers are the NIH aren't going to be scrubs.

For the record, what is the NIH exactly? Well:

To listen to some of the posters in here, who got all this figured out, they really should consider offering their services as consultants so they can set the NIH straight.

I know what the NIH is. Researchers compare imperfectly controlled populations all the time. Sometimes because that's all they have to compare, occasionally because they're doofuses that design their studies poorly.

Like I said, I haven't read the study or even read the thread carefully. But if the conclusions are based on a study that leaves out the possible consequences of (up to) decades of morbid obesity on metabolism (and the various things like endocrinology that affect metabolism), then it would be premature (in my opinion) to start specifically blaming The Biggest Loser for those consequences with great confidence.

The issue is that if their metabolisms are so badly damaged that the expectations regarding diet and exercise are unreasonable, then that's a problem.

If the average 200 lb man can maintain his weight on 2200 calories, but because of what happened on the show a 200 lb contestant who appeared on the show is resigned to a 1400 calorie diet to achieve the same feat, then you can't just blow that off.

Dude, everyone has different metabolisms. I have a pretty shitty one. I have to watch what I eat and work out regularly to not get fat while others around me don't put in half the work. It's a part of life.

So yes I'd expect a former fatbody who got down to 200 lbs to have a completely different metabolism than someone who has spent their entire life at that weight.

I'm guessing the people who gained the weight back went back to their former habits.

That just sounds like a bad study. That's not how the metabolism works.

I think there is still a lot we don't understand about metabolism and exactly why some people tend to store fat more easily than others.

So its the TV Show's fault that this sad pieces of shit got fat again?

lol 2017 folks

Dude, everyone has different metabolisms. I have a pretty shitty one. I have to watch what I eat and work out regularly to not get fat while others around me don't put in half the work. It's a part of life.

So yes I'd expect a former fatbody who got down to 200 lbs to have a completely different metabolism than someone who has spent their entire life at that weight.

Let me ask you this, just hypothetically:

You already have a shitty metabolism. So what if you put body and health into the hands of supposedly qualified medical professionals and personal trainers, and as a direct result of the shit they had you do, your already shitty metabolism became even shittier?

For the purposes of this discussion, let's say that actually happened. Would you be pissed about it or would you just go, "Well, that's life!"

I think there is still a lot we don't understand about metabolism and exactly why some people tend to store fat more easily than others.

Despite that, someone becoming physically larger would necessitate a higher metabolism. Otherwise, people would lose involuntary bodily functions. Organ function would crash. So any notion that people gained massive amounts of weight with no change to metabolism would mean two things:

1: They would die. Pretty quickly.

2: If they didn't die in some weird parallel universe in which metabolisms stay static despite the size of the body, they would perpetually gain weight at a steady, unyielding rate.

Neither of those things seem to be happening, so the study is probably junk science.

Kai Hibbard told The New York Times that "she and other contestants would drink as little water as possible in the 24 hours before a weigh-in" and would "work out in as much clothing as possible" when the cameras were off. She further stated that two weeks after the show ended, she had regained about 31 pounds, mostly from staying hydrated

Sorry but no

You dont gain 31 pounds from drinking water

LMFAO

I'm reading the article from New York Post that you mentioned lmfao

Maybe you should have read it a little better

Oh, I read it three times, because I had to call someone out on their bullshit ITT and I wanted to make sure I was right.

One of the contestants from one of the seasons lived in my town. I was eating lunch with the wife in health conscious cafe and the contestant came in with her trainer/coach. Someone recognized them and it was cordial and friendly and they insisted no pictures and asked everyone not to social media the bit. Girl looked great. You'd never guess she had been gigantic such a short time ago.

I suggested the portabello mushroom soup. Its fantastic. Tastes like youre eating beef gravy. The trainer was almost fearful and warned her that it had flour in it. That's when it all began to make sense: this is shock weight loss. Very bad. They'd be much better served by losing that weight over three to four years instead of 14 months.

Back