1990s Legend Royce Gracie Trashes Modern Fighters

Do you agree with Gracie?

• Total voters
Beat me to it.

ric-flair-flop-o.gif

Royce in the early UFC's had off the charts aggression and left almost every opponent bleeding.

He didn't have the aggression level post sakuraba.

I stop listening any time the "street fight" rhetoric enters the conversation. I voted no.

I liked the "NHB" middle-era when guys had cross-trained skills, but things like weight classes, drug testing, and even standardized time limits were sort of ad hoc. The Pride Open Weight GP of 2000 comes to mind.

Easy for him to say. He was fighting in an era where he was the only one who could grapple. Most of fights now could do what he did back then.

Meanwhile he would get his shit pushed in might Mouse or Ronda roused.

A sick and dark part of me would've enjoyed Lesnar ripping Royce in half.

A sick and dark part of me would've enjoyed Lesnar ripping Royce in half.
Just go all the way and make Lesnar/ Mighty Mouse. Let's put that P4P title to the test.

I liked the "NHB" middle-era when guys had cross-trained skills, but things like weight classes, drug testing, and even standardized time limits were sort of ad hoc. The Pride Open Weight GP of 2000 comes to mind.

But with that also comes the eye bleeding tedium of fights like Shamrock/Severn 2.

It’s not perfect but I prefer modern mma with a higher skill set and overall better action.

So he hand picks guys to fight who in some instances had no formal martial arts training at all then goes on to talk about how fighters choose their fights now? The guy's delusional.

how is he right? When has anyone ever complained about their opponents weight due to the weight advantage as opposed to $$

Mighty Mouse is the most recent. He wanted both paychecks and if th was
Overweight there would be no fight.

But absolutely a matter of a few pounds have prevented fights from happening.

Even around 10 years ago a few lbs. would not prevent a fight.
Bustante weighs 180 lbs. Henderson weighs 185. Not a big deal.
But today. oh the horror. 5 lbs!

There are weight classes for a reason but when guys cut huge amounts of weight it’s really cancels out guys being the same weight at fight time anyways.

Auto correct kind of made this intelligible at parts.
Well gather what you can out of it.

He's talking about the mentality of the fighters from the early days of mma compared to today...and he"s absolutely right.

Today's fighters are absolute pussies compared to the sports forefathers.

With all due respect, there was no money at stake back then.

Now people can actually make a comfortable living assuming they have what it takes so when someone misses weight or is forced to fight a new opponent where they can lose their place in line for the title or lose the title to a new foe that they just cooked up for you. IMO the fighters hearts are the same, it only looks like it’s changed.

Size don't mean shit. Frank Dux was able to defeat a much bigger/heavier Chong Li as well as many other bigger opponents during the Kumite in Hong Kong back in the 80's.

lol wat?

Roger Gracie is the ONEFc champ.
Neiman Gracie is 5-0 in Bellator.
Kron Gracie is destroying legends in Japan.
Plus Roger just cemented his position as the GOAT grappler, this year. Some Gracie's are killing it

If Stipe pinched my wife's buns I would definitely say

"He's not in my division, i'm not going to beat him up.

You see, I'm not gonna do it. I can't do it. I would, but you see, the way I got my bank account set up, I got a checkings and a savings, but all my money is in my savings, so I gotta switch it to my checkings, but it's gonna take 3 business days...I don't think it's gonna go through. So I can't kick anyone's ass today."

Back