Stop saying DJ is scared of moving up

I just started watching MMA yesterday, who is DJ?
dwayne-johnson-now-1.jpg

I think TS is talking about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

I don't see TJ presenting any stylistic issues to stop DJ. It'd be a hard fight but ultimately a very winnable fight for DJ. And Please don't bring up Cruz. That was 6 years ago in his first outing as a full time fighter. It'd be competitive but very winnable for MM especially at 125.

Like I said it's not just the weight and it's not just the difficulty of the fight. It's mainly the money. They were asking him to take a big risk for no reward.

But believe what you want. It is not a duck imo. Hopefully this fight happens so everyone can shut up.

If you would please, tell me the major differences between MM then 6 years ago and now barring comfortability and weight change? He isnt a BJJ white belt anymore, what else?

Didn't he ask for a 1mil or 2mil show money when asked about fighting TJ before TJ lost his belt?

That doesn't sound like he was super confident back then.

And yes, dillashaw will very much be able to read his feints a lot better than any opponent MM has had before. TJ also has outstanding wrestling to go along with the best striking MM will have ever faced.

He also has the power advantage and length advantage coupled with the wrestling and striking. His cardio is also on par with Johnson's.

Physically, this fight is an absolute lock for TJ. Gameplan wise, TJ(or should I say Duane) blows MM out of the water. Fight IQ they seem pretty even. Technique wise it could be a challenge for TJ but he will have some of the cleanest technique MM has ever faced.

Most of MMs opponents ground work is garbage, if it isn't then it usually doesn't go to the ground until the later rounds unless they get finished. TJs ground work is a ton better than those opponents who did go to the ground with MM except he won't have the option to stand and wear TJ out for the TD. Plus, he has one glaring hole in his game and several minor holes which has gotten him caught or wobbled or cracked hard sever times during his flw title reign.

How do you see TJ not posing stylistical AND physical problems for Johnson?

I don't care what glorified MMA fans have to say in their rankings.

Watch his actual run. Look at who he fought.

Name me his best win and let's go from there.

You're telling me I didn't watch the sport back when he fought the Tapias and Bebees of the world, but defer to some hacks ranking people in a completely subjective ranking system. Please son.
I remember I started watching When he was a big deal...I never understood it. He was just a really lanky guy beating up shirter dudes without much talent

Dude you're a moron, Frankie dropped down after a loss to bendo and got an immediate title shot at 145

Lol gsp never lost his belt even though he's been retired 4 years and Woodley is the reigning and defending champion?

You're just making shit up dude are you ok mentally?
This was hilarious to see

prove yourself to be an idiot

Edgar fought Faber and Mendes before getting a title shot.... can't remember 100% but he might have fought cub swanson before too...keep digging

GSP never lost his 170 belt

nice try tho

I'll keep waiting
You really screwed yourself dude

If you would please, tell me the major differences between MM then 6 years ago and now barring comfortability and weight change? He isnt a BJJ white belt anymore, what else?

Didn't he ask for a 1mil or 2mil show money when asked about fighting TJ before TJ lost his belt?

That doesn't sound like he was super confident back then.

And yes, dillashaw will very much be able to read his feints a lot better than any opponent MM has had before. TJ also has outstanding wrestling to go along with the best striking MM will have ever faced.

He also has the power advantage and length advantage coupled with the wrestling and striking. His cardio is also on par with Johnson's.

Physically, this fight is an absolute lock for TJ. Gameplan wise, TJ(or should I say Duane) blows MM out of the water. Fight IQ they seem pretty even. Technique wise it could be a challenge for TJ but he will have some of the cleanest technique MM has ever faced.

Most of MMs opponents ground work is garbage, if it isn't then it usually doesn't go to the ground until the later rounds unless they get finished. TJs ground work is a ton better than those opponents who did go to the ground with MM except he won't have the option to stand and wear TJ out for the TD. Plus, he has one glaring hole in his game and several minor holes which has gotten him caught or wobbled or cracked hard sever times during his flw title reign.

How do you see TJ not posing stylistical AND physical problems for Johnson?
First of all, never did I bring up physicality. TJ's only significant advantage is size (which effects power). The reach difference is only 1 inch. DJ is very used to fighting guys just as big or bigger than TJ. DJ also has a huge advantage in speed which has shown to be an important advantage to hold over TJ.

Now, that time I believe you are referring to was a long time ago and was said jokingly. He likely was joking ( to some degree) about that sum of money.

DJ is a radically improved fighter now. Having six years of full time experience alone is enough to change a fighter completely. He wastes much less movement now, switches more efficiently while mixing in strikes, his wrestling/clinch work are worlds better then they were before, and he has shown to have great defense as well as distance management.

In all of DJ's fights he has only been hurt/dropped/rocked in 1 fight. Dodson 1 (you can argue the knee from Horiguchi hurt him but it didn't effect his performance). He was dropped twice but proceeded to dominate the rest of the fight. In the rematch he showed much better defense and clinch work. Your claim is utterly false.

His knees are extremely effective as shown by the Cejudo fight. This is extremely relevant because TJ's cardio will take a big hit from a cut down to 125. DJ 's speed and body strikes would make TJ much less effective in later rounds.

DJ's striking has also never been out done. Even in the two fights he's lost he definitively won the battle on the feet through clever switch striking and accurate kicks. He has also KD'd and KO'd former and current BWs so he has the power to hurt TJ. He may not have Dodson's power but he is a far better striker. Skill wise both are very well rounded strikers but DJ's speed will likely lead him to victory as TJ's stamina fades.

Wrestling is not an issue. DJ's wrestling is world better than it was before. his reversals, scrambles, and transitions have become the best part of his game. Also, DJ has always been nearly impossible to pin down. Cruz and Pickett had the most success against him on the ground but still failed to keep him down or do damage. That was before he became more focused on improving his grappling (After MCcall 1).

DJ has shown to be able to takedown and hold down larger opponents. Now that his grappling has improved, he has displayed the ability much more. TDs will be hard to secure but will certainly be a valid option. And if not, the option of reversals are very real.

Gameplan wise I have to disagree but that is HIGHLY debatable. Fight IQ is super close but I give it to DJ as he has more experience. Technique is also close. It's probably fair to say their even due to slight advantages in different areas. DJ may have a slight edge but I'm not sure.

Like I said a very competitive fight. I'm confident DJ can get the job done but it will be his hardest fight.

As for weaknesses, DJ has displayed an unfortunate low guard that can be exploited but hasn't been since his trouble with Dodson. However if you were looking for something to target that would be it. Catching him with a kick as he is coming in is the best chance for a KO but the likelihood of that is questionable.

Last edited:
Do you forget he started at 135 in the WEC? or did you guys just start watching the sport yesterday?

He fought Miguel Torres who was legit a top 5 P4P fighter during his prime run.

If the money is right, promise he'll move up...if not, you can stfu. You guys get brainwashed wayyyyy too easily by Dana White.

Learn the history of the sport b4 you open your mouth.
We're talking about a guy that ducked the now Bantamweight champion. hmmmm... sounds like he's a scared lil beeyyottcchhhh to me.

Oh really, then why is TJ now telling MM to move up to 135?

MM already signed the Ray Borg contract when TJ came into the picture, and the UFC didn't want to pay MM more.

Uneducated, Jesus...

He must have just came out with a interview today that none of us has yet to see for you to be saying this. He's been saying he is going to move down. He said it last week anf his coach just talked about it yesterday

...... cool logic. He said he would fight him at 125 and DJ cried that Ray fucking Borg was the number 1 contender.

Pretty sure the UFC told him that the only option he had was Borg. You know, after DJ said he wanted to move up and fight Garbrandt. They tried to change opponents after he agreed to the fight they wanted him to take and told him Borg would still be on standby if TJ missed weight, even though they guaranteed he wouldn't.

We're talking about a guy that ducked the now Bantamweight champion. hmmmm... sounds like he's a scared lil beeyyottcchhhh to me.

We're talking about a guy that challenged the previous bantamweight champ and was told he had to fight Borg.

We're talking about a guy that challenged the previous bantamweight champ and was told he had to fight Borg.
Was told he had to fight borg? did you not read what Dana had to say after he ducked Dillashaw? Dana was pissed. It was MM that chose to fight Borg, because he felt Borg deserved it because he was ranked #3, rather than giving it to TJ who was unranked and never fought at flyweight.

First of all, never did I bring up physicality. TJ's only significant advantage is size (which effects power). The reach difference is only 1 inch. DJ is very used to fighting guys just as big or bigger than TJ. DJ also has a huge advantage in speed which has shown to be an important advantage to hold over TJ.

Now, that time I believe you are referring to was a long time ago and was said jokingly. He likely was joking ( to some degree) about that sum of money.

DJ is a radically improved fighter now. Having six years of full time experience alone is enough to change a fighter completely. He wastes much less movement now, switches more efficiently while mixing in strikes, his wrestling/clinch work are worlds better then they were before, and he has shown to have great defense as well as distance management.

In all of DJ's fights he has only been hurt/dropped/rocked in 1 fight. Dodson 1 (you can argue the knee from Horiguchi hurt him but it didn't effect his performance). He was dropped twice but proceeded to dominate the rest of the fight. In the rematch he showed much better defense and clinch work. Your claim is utterly false.

His knees are extremely effective as shown by the Cejudo fight. This is extremely relevant because TJ's cardio will take a big hit from a cut down to 125. DJ 's speed and body strikes would make TJ much less effective in later rounds.

DJ's striking has also never been out done. Even in the two fights he's lost he definitively won the battle on the feet through clever switch striking and accurate kicks. He has also KD'd and KO'd former and current BWs so he has the power to hurt TJ. He may not have Dodson's power but he is a far better striker. Skill wise both are very well rounded strikers but DJ's speed will likely lead him to victory as TJ's stamina fades.

Wrestling is not an issue. DJ's wrestling is world better than it was before. his reversals, scrambles, and transitions have become the best part of his game. Also, DJ has always been nearly impossible to pin down. Cruz and Pickett had the most success against him on the ground but still failed to keep him down or do damage. That was before he became more focused on improving his grappling (After MCcall 1).

DJ has shown to be able to takedown and hold down larger opponents. Now that his grappling has improved, he has displayed the ability much more. TDs will be hard to secure but will certainly be a valid option. And if not, the option of reversals are very real.

Gameplan wise I have to disagree but that is HIGHLY debatable. Fight IQ is super close but I give it to DJ as he has more experience. Technique is also close. It's probably fair to say their even due to slight advantages in different areas. DJ may have a slight edge but I'm not sure.

Like I said a very competitive fight. I'm confident DJ can get the job done but it will be his hardest fight.

As for weaknesses, DJ has displayed an unfortunate low guard that can be exploited but hasn't been since his trouble with Dodson. However if you were looking for something to target that would be it. Catching him with a kick as he is coming in is the best chance for a KO but the likelihood of that is questionable.

He gave up rounds to Elliot, Joe B, Dodson, Horiguchi(?), and was being outclassed by Cejudo up until the over under clinch.

His chin is up in the air most of the time he switch hits or does his stutter step which is how Dodson dropped him twice and hurt him once all from his switch hitting. He positioned himself terribly is why he got dropped. And regularly eats shots that don't wobble him from this same weakness.

A very novice striker at the time Cejudo was chopping his trail leg at will, and just about everyone else who has tried hasn't been checked or punished for it. That is a staple in the game plan to beating MM.

Those former and current BWs he hurt are almost all FLWs who moved up after losing to him or dropped to FLW before losing to him. He is definitely a volume striker and the only picks in his fights I've heard are 4th and 5th round finishes and decision predictions. Even he knows he doesn't have a lot of power though yes his knees are very hard.

He has been able to hold people down well bc his opponents grappling has either been weak, have blatantly obvious holes, or got wore down on the feet then taken down. TJs cut to 125 isn't a huge cut at all, he said himself he has to consistently keep lifting to stay at a solid 135. He was 140 9 weeks out from the Cody fight, 125 would be cake, cardio more than likely wouldn't be affected.

I don't expect TJ to hold Johnson down I expect him to counter his TDs very adequately.

DJ has said he normally doesn't do gameplan just trains everything for everybody which will bite him in the ass in my opinion.

As much bickering as we've done back and forth you aren't a run of the mill pos sherdogger, it was fun picking your brain and hearing your rebuttals. Cheers

Was told he had to fight borg? did you not read what Dana had to say after he ducked Dillashaw? Dana was pissed. It was MM that chose to fight Borg, because he felt Borg deserved it because he was ranked #3, rather than giving it to TJ who was unranked and never fought at flyweight.

He had presented the UFC with a couple options, one was Garbrandthe at 135 in a super fight. He was told that Borg was the only option so he took it.

When Garbrandt got injured, it freed TJ up and they wanted him to take that fight when he had already signed to fight their chosen opponent.

He raised concers that a guy who has never attempted to make the weight might miss and he'd have trained for nothing. The UFC and TJ granteed TJ would make weight.

MM asked for more money for a fight that the UFC would be able to make more off of and they declined. He asked for a financial guarantee if TJ missed since they guaranteed he would and he declined. The UFC then said that even if TJ missed weight that DJ wouldn't be training for no reason because Borg would be ready to step in.

So, they asked DJ to change opponents after he agreed to the fight they insisted he take, offered him a fight that was more profitable for them but offered him no additional financial incentive, and wanted him to be ready for two opponents in the one they guaranteed would make weight didn't.

He gave up rounds to Elliot, Joe B, Dodson, Horiguchi(?), and was being outclassed by Cejudo up until the over under clinch.

His chin is up in the air most of the time he switch hits or does his stutter step which is how Dodson dropped him twice and hurt him once all from his switch hitting. He positioned himself terribly is why he got dropped. And regularly eats shots that don't wobble him from this same weakness.

A very novice striker at the time Cejudo was chopping his trail leg at will, and just about everyone else who has tried hasn't been checked or punished for it. That is a staple in the game plan to beating MM.

Those former and current BWs he hurt are almost all FLWs who moved up after losing to him or dropped to FLW before losing to him. He is definitely a volume striker and the only picks in his fights I've heard are 4th and 5th round finishes and decision predictions. Even he knows he doesn't have a lot of power though yes his knees are very hard.

He has been able to hold people down well bc his opponents grappling has either been weak, have blatantly obvious holes, or got wore down on the feet then taken down. TJs cut to 125 isn't a huge cut at all, he said himself he has to consistently keep lifting to stay at a solid 135. He was 140 9 weeks out from the Cody fight, 125 would be cake, cardio more than likely wouldn't be affected.

I don't expect TJ to hold Johnson down I expect him to counter his TDs very adequately.

DJ has said he normally doesn't do gameplan just trains everything for everybody which will bite him in the ass in my opinion.

As much bickering as we've done back and forth you aren't a run of the mill pos sherdogger, it was fun picking your brain and hearing your rebuttals. Cheers
Elliot only got a round based on holding that guillotine. Joe B and Dodson got outclassed in the rematch. The first fights were a very long time ago (Which DJ improved from rather well). I didn't see Cejudo having an advantage early on, DJ was just patient with him but everyone's perspective is different.

He has been taking much less damage since Dodson 2 but yes that is a hole that still pops up on occasion. Footwork has gotten better since he got caught. I think it was more of an aggression issue at the time. Once again the speed will help him stay out of trouble but he will need to be cautious for sure.

From my experience cutting weight 15 pounds is a lot. Especially for your first time in a lower weight. Especially when that weight is 125. TJ would be able to rehydrate to about 138-140 which is much smaller than he's used to. This will be his first time suffering through an uncomfortable cut. That will hurt his tank. Making weight is one thing but trying to push yourself per usual is another monster.

The ground game could go a lot of ways but I think that would be the route TJ explores as well. However, Lineker did manage to get him down. While he is stronger than DJ, he is a much worse grappler. I think DJ breaks through and takes him down after a few failed attempts. Catching a kick is always an option.

That's...half true. He does train opponent specific stuff but he does not go into the cage thinking "this is what I'm going to do". Think of it like going in with all the tools you need but figuring out how to deconstruct them as you go along. This seems to work much better for him than traditional game planning.

Likewise. I love to argue and debate so this has been a good way to pass time. You make some good points, we just seem to have fundamental differences in out stances. But hey, this is part of the fun of the fight game. Cheers mate.

MM fled 135 because he couldn't be champ there, he simply was too small and not good enough.

At 135 TJ, Garbrandt, Cruz (again) and Rivera eat him alive.

If TJ can somehow diminish himself to make 125 I'd still pick TJ to win.

MM is the king of a very weak weight class.

Back