Famous BASE jumper dies in wingsuit jump.

Very interesting stuff @MikeMcMann. However, does it really have to be a genetic trait? Can't it be just practice? Right now I'd get a heart attack watching those videos, but I'm sure I can get used to bungee jumping until I don't care anymore.

All this evolutionary stuff is intruiging, but to me always ends up sounding like some paleo diet marketing gag.

Very interesting stuff @MikeMcMann. However, does it really have to be a genetic trait? Can't it be just practice? Right now I'd get a heart attack watching those videos, but I'm sure I can get used to bungee jumping until I don't care anymore.

All this evolutionary stuff is intruiging, but to me always ends up sounding like some paleo diet marketing gag.
I won't pretend to be an expert here but it makes sense to me that the societies with a good mix of traits (risk takers vs nesters) would be the most successful and therefore pass on those genes. You need people who push boundaries even at person risk and others who avoid almost all risk to try and take care of what they have.

I know I was never taught to embrace risk. I've always loved and craved it. Maybe I learned it before I was even old enough to realize but its always seemed to be there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...pting-22-000-foot-base-jump-article-1.3629393
Here's a video of his jump off Mount Everest

I've always thought that the people who do these things are suicidal. I did some very risky things at a time in my life when I didn't care if I lived or died.

CVqQwPNU4AArcb9.png

He was definitely wearing cameras and had others in the crew recording video as they did on all of his jumps. It's how they paid for the expeditions. Who knows whether they will ever be shown. It might be a couple of years but I suspect they will be eventually.

I want to hear his reactions, if there is sound. Or do they also have selfie cams? That be even better. I want to see that look on his face as he plummets to his end.

WOW! Some guys enjoy risk a little more than others. Seems healthier to get your adrenaline fix with gambling money you don't have, raw dogging hookers, and eating Asian street food. RIP

I'd wager that this guy lived a more fulfilling life than most of you could even dream of.

I'd wager that this guy lived a more fulfilling life than most of you could even dream of.

Show me his post to like ratio and we'll talk about fulfilling lives bro

Quality post. 10/10.

I'm glad you took it upon yourself to create a post ranking system. Much sophisticated.

The vast majority of people who have died on Everest didn't go it alone. They climbed with friends, partners, people they loved, etc. Or they paid a shit ton of money to an expedition/guide to get them to the top. Either way, there is a huge investment from the climbers, the guides, the Sherpa community, the government of Nepal, etc. Now, don't you think that if they could bring these people down off of the mountain, they would?

I linked an article below for some context that will give you an idea of how hard it is to rescue people via helicopter more than 9,000 feet below Everest's peak. Once you enter the Khumbu Icefall, which is just above base camp, you're likely fucked if anything goes wrong.

Read the article and propose your solution since, in your mind, it seems to be an simple solution. Be sure to include how you would get a frozen body across a bunch of these crevasses in the icefall while laboring for breath at nearly 18,000 feet.

everest_3203986b.jpg

"Clear weather on Monday allowed helicopters to reach altitudes of 20,000 feet and pluck stranded climbers from high up the mountain, Agence France-Press reported. Because of thinning atmosphere at that high altitude, each aircraft could only evacuate two people, Romanian climber Alex Gavan said on Twitter."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/story/26445519/

If he's so famous how come no ones ever heard of him until he became dead.

I'm glad you took it upon yourself to create a post ranking system. Much sophisticated.

The vast majority of people who have died on Everest didn't go it alone. They climbed with friends, partners, people they loved, etc. Or they paid a shit ton of money to an expedition/guide to get them to the top. Either way, there is a huge investment from the climbers, the guides, the Sherpa community, the government of Nepal, etc. Now, don't you think that if they could bring these people down off of the mountain, they would?

I linked an article below for some context that will give you an idea of how hard it is to rescue people via helicopter more than 9,000 feet below Everest's peak. Once you enter the Khumbu Icefall, which is just above base camp, you're likely fucked if anything goes wrong.

Read the article and propose your solution since, in your mind, it seems to be an simple solution. Be sure to include how you would get a frozen body across a bunch of these crevasses in the icefall while laboring for breath at nearly 18,000 feet.

everest_3203986b.jpg

"Clear weather on Monday allowed helicopters to reach altitudes of 20,000 feet and pluck stranded climbers from high up the mountain, Agence France-Press reported. Because of thinning atmosphere at that high altitude, each aircraft could only evacuate two people, Romanian climber Alex Gavan said on Twitter."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/story/26445519/
Why don't they just strap them into a wing suit and push them off?

On a similar area of discussion the conditions at extreme altitude do actually mean bodies stay relatively intact for decades or even centuries, George Mallory's(climber who may actually have summited first way back in 1924) body for example was found after 75 years.

If you do enough wingsuit jumps, the reaper will catch you eventually.

Back