Should alcohol be illegal?

I thought this was attempted once before or was that an alternate universe?

Prohibition fails. Alcohol prohibition failed when tried. Drug prohibition continues to fail.

Prohibition fails. Alcohol prohibition failed when tried. Drug prohibition continues to fail.
I don't think it's failing. I think it would be even worse if drugs were legal. You'd have to see them be used openly.

I've lived in a state where pot is legal. It's illegal to smoke in public. Everywhere you go, you still see people smoking in public, smell it in public, smell it in restaurants, see people openly intoxicated on it, etc. It just happens.

Just keeping drugs out of sight, out of mind is a fantastic accomplishment of the drug war.

Well , no .....I don't think so , but I have a vested interest in that I love beer. If we are applying the same criteria to alcohol that we do to other drugs , harm caused / addictive properties ECT , than yes , it probably SHOULD be illegal.

I don't think it's failing. I think it would be even worse if drugs were legal. You'd have to see them be used openly.

I've lived in a state where pot is legal. It's illegal to smoke in public. Everywhere you go, you still see people smoking in public, smell it in public, smell it in restaurants, see people openly intoxicated on it, etc. It just happens.

Just keeping drugs out of sight, out of mind is a fantastic accomplishment of the drug war.
Costs billions yearly.
Gives ridiculous power to the prison industrial complex, and is partially funded by it.
Partially funded by big pharma.
Violates our most basic human rights.

But hey, at least it keeps it out of sight. Win!

Costs billions yearly.
Gives ridiculous power to the prison industrial complex, and is partially funded by it.
Partially funded by big pharma.
Violates our most basic human rights.

But hey, at least it keeps it out of sight. Win!
Worth it.

You already see enough of hard drugs and the people on them with them being felonies and their presence, usage, and intoxication being as hidden as they can be. I would hate to see harder drugs being more visible in public and people more obviously intoxicated on them.

Living in a state with legal weed and comparing to states I've lived in without legal weed, it's completely obvious what will happen. With legal drugs, people will be less careful about where they use them in public, how intoxicated they are on them in public, less careful about hiding the drug's culture, etc. It's one thing with weed. I don't want to see that happen with harder drugs.

That shit -- wandering crazy people, public intoxication, etc. -- is in the ghettos right now. Keep it there. Don't let it spread. Don't let the ghettos start to take over the places where you can still find decency. Don't turn America into a ghetto.

Last edited:
Worth it.

You already see enough of hard drugs and associated junkies with them being felonies and their presence, usage, and intoxication being as hidden as they can be. I would hate to see harder drugs being more visible in public and people more obviously intoxicated on them.
I would rather we take a logical approach to dealing with addction, rather than a "just say no", head in sand one. Vice will never go away, no matter how hard we try to clamp diwn. We have proof that there are better ways to dealing with it then prohibition.

I would rather we take a logical approach to dealing with addction, rather than a "just say no", head in sand one. Vice will never go away, no matter how hard we try to clamp diwn. We have proof that there are better ways to dealing with it then prohibition.

I disagree. Several Asian countries don't have drug problems. However, I don't think that we will ever be able to get as responsible of a populace during our lifetimes and I don't want to go as draconian as some of them are.

So, you're right. In America, vice will never go away. We can't get rid of it with reasonable methods. Seeing as we can't get rid of it, there are 2 ways to deal with it: have it impact my quality of life or keep it out of sight, out of mind. I prefer to keep it out of sight, out of mind. Keep it illegal and therefor hidden from me.

That shit -- wandering crazy people, obvious public intoxication, etc. -- is in the ghettos right now. Keep it there. Don't let it spread. Don't let the ghettos start to take over the places where you can still find decency. Don't turn America into a ghetto.

If you want to put more public money into treating addiction, go ahead. I would support that. But don't make drugs legal and don't do anything that will result in drugs becoming more visible in public.

Last edited:
https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/alcohol-facts-and-statistics

Fact Check: True.

Also not factored into this body count: Something like 50% of homicides involve alcohol (perp is drunk, victim is drunk, or both).

I think it's just a ploy to save the war on drugs. The media has really drumming up this epidemic. What I don't think people get is that this war on prescription opioids is going to hurt patients that need them the most. Sure some doctors have over prescribed them, but it's primarily not the patients that are abusing them, it's people that get them illegally.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...lem-but-pain-prescriptions-are-not-the-cause/

https://www.cato.org/policy-report/septemberoctober-2017/myth-opioid-prescription-crisis

It harms the doctor patient relationship and makes doctors much more reluctant to prescribe opioids for severe pain. What do you think will happen when people that depend on them to live a semi normal life get cutoff? Some patients will, and already have, seek pain relief from illicit analogues.
https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2017/3/26/cdc-painkillers-no-longer-driving-opioid-epidemic

Granted, opioids are not ideal for chronic pain, but for severe pain sometimes they are the only thing that works.

I don't have chronic pain, but I couldn't even get an effective painkiller prescribed when I had a large kidney stone because the urologist was reluctant to write a prescription.

Last edited:
It should be illegal, it should be banned, just like tobacco.
I've never understood how a society can allow something that makes so many people aggressive and often violent.
Police forces around the world are often stretched to their limit every friday and saturday night because of booze. Alcohol is negative and harmful.

Makes no sense so it must be about money in the end.

I'm definitely against the war on drugs and lean towards decriminalizing Damn near all of them. But on the list of the most harmful and insidious drugs out there alcohol should be towards the top.

It can be extremely damaging to the user but more importantly it makes the user more violent towards others. It's got to be responsible for 70% of violence, especially domestic violence. Imo it does more damage to society than any other dug with the exception of heroin.

Alcohol is a core necessity in capitalist societies. The lower tiers, at minimum, require it.

Its addiction potential, list of diseases it causes, number of people it kills both through disease and other ways, suffering in people it doesn't kill, etc. is unbelievable.

We ban other drugs. Why not alcohol?
No, didn't work before and I doubt it'd work now. At most I'd like to see bars banned. You should be able to buy alcohol but you should have to consume it at home or over a friend's house or something.

I find it odd that even some Islamist parties don't push strongly for this sort of ban though, its maybe the one issue where they have the moral and rational high ground and yet its one of the issues they seem most readily to concede because "muh tourism!". If you're such a degenerate that you'd forego seeing the pyramids because you can't be buzzed while doing so then you don't deserve to see them.

I've seen people high & acting a fool on just about every drug out there over the years - but none of them can ever compare to the stupidity in which I've seen people liquored up to the max, exhibit.

& believe me, I've seen some shit.

Alcohol is a core necessity in capitalist societies. The lower tiers, at minimum, require it.
It is amazing the havoc that alcohol wreaks on the lower class. Especially their families. I think the real numbers are 10x worse because lower class people don't seek medical or psychological help nor do they admit to their problems. Or they actually think having 3+ beers a day is normal.

I think it's just a ploy to save the war on drugs. The media has really drumming up this epidemic. What I don't think people get is that this war on prescription opioids is going to hurt patients that need them the most. Sure some doctors have over prescribed them, but it's primarily not the patients that are abusing them, it's people that get them illegally.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...lem-but-pain-prescriptions-are-not-the-cause/

https://www.cato.org/policy-report/septemberoctober-2017/myth-opioid-prescription-crisis

It harms the doctor patient relationship and makes doctors much more reluctant to prescribe opioids for severe pain. What do you think will happen when people that depend on them to live a semi normal life get cutoff? Some patients will, and already have, seek pain relief from illicit analogues.
https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2017/3/26/cdc-painkillers-no-longer-driving-opioid-epidemic

Granted, opioids are not ideal for chronic pain, but for severe pain sometimes they are the only thing that works.

I don't have chronic pain, but I couldn't even get an effective painkiller prescribed when I had a large kidney stone because the urologist was reluctant to write a prescription.

I agree to a degree- I could not get the doctor to write me a perscription for just a few days worth after I had an appendectomy last year.

I lost my childhood best friend to heroin addiction, and have seen the downward spiral and deaths of a few other acquaintances, and I must admit that those people who go down that path are so far from the normal legal channels that its almost laughable to limit grandma's refills to 5 pills at a time or whatever.

I've seen people high & acting a fool on just about every drug out there over the years - but none of them can ever compare to the stupidity in which I've seen people liquored up to the max, exhibit.

& believe me, I've seen some shit.

Agreed 110%.

Drugs are already used openly.

Its addiction potential, list of diseases it causes, number of people it kills both through disease and other ways, suffering in people it doesn't kill, etc. is unbelievable.

We ban other drugs. Why not alcohol?
You suck as a human being

Back