Glory 48 New York card :(

Plus RvR and his father were at the event tonight. Probably he's really injured and they'll work out a new contract.

I was not aware of his injury but still why the interim title when he just defended at the end of September?

I was not aware of his injury but still why the interim title when he just defended at the end of September?
Glory likes to have at least one championship fight on every card, plus RvR may have yet to renegotiate his contract, it might be as simple as those two factors. The UFC does a similar thing recently because they want title fights on their PPVs, so if a champion is out on an all too common injury, suddenly an interim title fight appears.

Glory likes to have at least one championship fight on every card, plus RvR may have yet to renegotiate his contract, it might be as simple as those two factors. The UFC does a similar thing recently because they want title fights on their PPVs, so if a champion is out on an all too common injury, suddenly an interim title fight appears.
ok first of all only their contract with ufc fight pass says their main event must be a title fight (If I remember right they get 2 or 3 events a year where they can just use a no`1 ranked fighter instead of a championship bout.) What ever deal they have with espn does not require title fights which is where this fight is scheduled to be shown. Also by the time the event rolls around it will not have even been 60 days since robin defened his title. The only time in the ufc I can remember anything resembling this was the women's 145 title but that was only because the champ refused to fight cyborg.

Card Updated:

Glory 48 New York
Interim Featherweight Title Headline Bout: Kevin VanNostrand vs. Anvar Boynazarov
Middleweight Tournament Final Bout: Winner of Bout A vs. Winner of Bout B
Light Heavyweight Co-Headline Bout: Thiago Silva vs. John King
Middleweight Tournament Semifinal Bout B: Robert Thomas vs. Wayne Barrett
Middleweight Tournament Semifinal Bout A: Mike Lemaire vs. Matt Baker

Glory 48 SuperFight Series
Super Bantamweight Title Headline Bout: Tiffany van Soest vs. Anissa Meksen
Middleweight Bout: Chris Camozzi vs. Kyle Weickhardt
Middleweight Bout: Ivan Galaz vs. Ahmed Samir
Lightweight Bout: Itay Gershon vs. Justin Houghton
Lightweight Bout: Elvis Gashi vs. Nate Richardson

--------------------------------------------------------------------

- Instead of Giving Elvis Gahi an better opponent after his win over Jauncey,they are throwing Nate Richardson who is 11-2 on regional American scene and is actually more of an MMA fighter (6-1 MMA)

-Itay Gershon vs Jay Ho(fan since day one but..) it is another guy who is more an MMA fighter (4-2) MMA while 2-1 KB

-Ivan Galaz(mid lvl Kickboxing on South american scene,fought Pereira in 2014 and got his ass kicked) vs Ahmed Samir(non notable kickboxer)

-Chris Camozzi(Downhill MMA fighter) vs Kyle Weickhardt(4-1 MMA fighter)

-Tiffany van Soest vs Anissa Meksan (the high level fight of the event)

- Mike Lemaire(meh) vs Matt Baker(american regional lvl who fought in glory undercard once)

- Robert Thomas(mid lvl with experience against good fighters) vs Wayne Barrett(decent prospect coming back after almost retire

-Thiago Silva(downhill MMA fighter) vs John King(5-5 MMA fighter)

-Kevin VanNostrand vs Anvar Boynazarov(Glory 47 contender runner up in the place of Ezbiri because he haves a fight outside glory)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Basically an Kickboxing event of MMA fighters..

These are the faces of the event,i will wait everyone to watch it live and discuss when the time comes ;)

The UFC does a similar thing recently because they want title fights on their PPVs, so if a champion is out on an all too common injury, suddenly an interim title fight appears.
Ya, and they have been heavily criticized for it. Rightfully so because it diminishes the title. You used to only see interim titles when the champion didn't compete for a year. These interim titles have become a joke.

theres also a difference between robert whittaker vs yoel romero fighting for a interim title and Kevin VanNostrand vs. Anvar Boynazarov.

lol at you guys for not appreciating the presence of "former UFC star Chris Camozzi" in this card. it single handedly warrants legitimacy to the card.

Sucks that RvR is out, but at least this weird interim title thing garantees the tourney winner will fight RvR. I didn't really want to see him brutalize Kevin anyways.

Am I the only one who is actually hyped about Thiago Silva? That guy is crazy. Used to be a killer in UFC, the most intimidating aesthetics in MMA history, and he had to be arrested because he was threatening his gf with a machine gun. I wouldn't want to fight that guy.

Also this card has THE girl fight so still not bad.

Even in his prime thiago wasn't a good striker. Dumb.

Despite the fact that I'm a huge UFC fan and part-time Glory shill, I'm not really a big fan of inviting these former MMA fighters over to compete in Glory. However, there's a part of me that thinks it would be hilarious if hulking and awkward Chris Camozzi uses his size, strength, punches and mediocre kicking technique to brawl his way into title contention a la Dustin Jacoby in a relatively weak Glory middleweight division while the kickboxing purists here lose their minds that a non-elite MMA fighter can have this kind of success against lifelong kickboxers.

I actually really like seeing the former MMA guys, especially in the weight classes above WW where they have a serious chance of being successful.

Mousasi under kb rules now that he's at bellator would be fun, wouldn't be surprised if he pieced up Schilling.

I'm not really a big fan of inviting these former MMA fighters over to compete in Glory.

Unless they get badly KO'd like Pat Barry vs. Mwekassa or TKO'd like Big Foot Silva vs. Rico. Then it's alright.

Unless they get badly KO'd like Pat Barry vs. Mwekassa or TKO'd like Big Foot Silva vs. Rico. Then it's alright.

You like seeing Glory exploit past their prime fighters that have been ko'd too many times and have them receive more brain trauma?

You like seeing Glory exploit past their prime fighters that have been ko'd too many times and have them receive more brain trauma?

better than mediocre mma fighters keeping up with full time kickboxers.

I'd like if they kept away from the sport altogether even more so, but that's apparently not an option.

I had no interest in watching a 42+ year old Peter Aerts fight in Glory, nor a 40+ Jerome Le Banner fight in Glory, let alone some washed up MMA fighters like Big Foot Silva or Pat Barry. However imagine how embarrassing it would be if those MMA fighters suddenly started beating active KIckboxers, it would just make a joke out of the sport and it's not like we need that right now.

New glory megastar Chris Camozzi Shooting some birds for fun

better than mediocre mma fighters keeping up with full time kickboxers.

Not even close imo. What Glory did with Bigfoot is not at all uncommon in combat sports but it's still cheap and slimy. Bigfoot has received way too many concussions in his career already and Glory fed him to their golden boy knowing he'd get iced and were trying to gain a bit of cheap publicity off it.

If there are mma fighters that can do well in kickboxing why shouldn't they be signed? Filling out their cards with mid tier mma fighters is one thing but if they can get guys who have serious potential in the sport why wouldn't they?

Not even close imo. What Glory did with Bigfoot is not at all uncommon in combat sports but it's still cheap and slimy. Bigfoot has received way too many concussions in his career already and Glory fed him to their golden boy knowing he'd get iced and were trying to gain a bit of cheap publicity off it.

If there are mma fighters that can do well in kickboxing why shouldn't they be signed? Filling out their cards with mid tier mma fighters is one thing but if they can get guys who have serious potential in the sport why wouldn't they?

the whole bigfoot thing was cheap. agreed on that.

Back