Is Oezdemir's GBH Charge Worse Than Conor's Ref Push?

That's not how that works. When you go pro you are informed that if you get into a fight you can be charged with some serious shit. Courts don't play that shit.

....Informed by who? This isn't the 80s, when people still believed that black belts had to "register their hands as deadly weapons."

Let's settle that it all boils down on the intent. We need additional proof, it's kinda rare to not see videos popping up nowadays.

If Oezdemir was assaulted, then it's not his fault. Were him just taunted I can't go with a (very) light sentence, possibly a fine and being both sides obligated to make ammends publicly.

Now were him the first offender he can go to jail for all that I care, a professional fighter is indeed a dangerous person. Friend of mine got his cell phone taken away from his pocket by a transvestite just the other day, (and he's not even professional) the guy just punched the transvestite and immediately KOed him/her. As soon as he saw that he ran away, he would most likely be charged of homophobia, go figure...

Fighters should also not get overly confident at their own skills, anyone could take both Jones and Silva on PEDs at the same time in an octagon were him the only one packing the heat. GSP might still get a boring UD. (It's a joke, chill out)

I would say Volkan's aggravated battery charge was only a bit worse, but he doesn't deserve as much hate for it.

Conor might be charged with actual assault for hitting an offical.

....Informed by who? This isn't the 80s, when people still believed that black belts had to "register their hands as deadly weapons."
When my bro went to get all his shit settled to go pro the guy sat him down down and told him this shit. I'm not referring to the hands being registered shit. In my personal experience I have seen lawyers try to up charges against people with martial arts training. I had family get into this situation and when they found out he was pro, they attempted to exaggerate his charge.

So he should let himself get beat up because he is good at fighting?
Look if it was self defense then it's cool but if he got into some random fight over stupid shit then I stand by my claim. He should know better.

When my bro went to get all his shit settled to go pro the guy sat him down down and told him this shit. I'm not referring to the hands being registered shit. In my personal experience I have seen lawyers try to up charges against people with martial arts training. I had family get into this situation and when they found out he was pro, they attempted to exaggerate his charge.

What shit did he have to get together, and what guy? Don't get me wrong - I can imagine that the UFC has some sort of standard code of conduct expectation given to fighters, but "going pro" means nothing. The ACs are the only unifying bodies and they arent there to manage fighters' lives.

As for criminal charges, that's circumstantial evidence but of course it will weigh on a DA and jury's mind. that's just natural reason.

So he should let himself get beat up because he is good at fighting?

Very rarely does one ever have to fight. Honestly, in all my life I've only ever once been in a situation where I literally had no choice but to defend myself. Dozens and dozens of times I've found ways to diffuse or outright stop the situation. More often than not it's insecurity which compels people to throw down. Rarely is it unavoidable.

Apparently a guy touched his girlfriends breasts at a bar.

Ain't no one touching ma boyfriend's ass in a bar! He getting slept.

giphy.gif

What shit did he have to get together, and what guy? Don't get me wrong - I can imagine that the UFC has some sort of standard code of conduct expectation given to fighters, but "going pro" means nothing. The ACs are the only unifying bodies and they arent there to manage fighters' lives.

As for criminal charges, that's circumstantial evidence but of course it will weigh on a DA and jury's mind. that's just natural reason.
He needed to get a state licence from the AC so he could fight. When he went to get it for some reason he was informed to avoid getting into fights because if he does he would be more likely to be implicated with serious charges. Fuck if I know why. Maybe there was an incident recently and they felt the need to inform him of this.

I never claimed it to be more than that. All I said was being a pro makes you look much worse in this situation and is likely to get you in more trouble.

He needed to get a state licence from the AC so he could fight. When he went to get it for some reason he was informed to avoid getting into fights because if he does he would be more likely to be implicated with serious charges. Fuck if I know why. Maybe there was an incident recently and they felt the need to inform him of this.

I never claimed it to be more than that. All I said was being a pro makes you look much worse in this situation and is likely to get you in more trouble.

I agree with your sentiments. I'd simply never heard of anyone being informed that their history of fighting professionally would impact any criminal charges (although obviously I would expect any DA to pursue that).

I agree with your sentiments. I'd simply never heard of anyone being informed that their history of fighting professionally would impact any criminal charges (although obviously I would expect any DA to pursue that).
I just thought it was normal because everyone who competes in my family shared the same sentiment. Guess my folks just have bad luck with this shit.

I would say Volkan's aggravated battery charge was only a bit worse, but he doesn't deserve as much hate for it.

One happened in the act of
self defense, the other in the act of trespassing.

Why? So people who work in finance are not allowed to use their skills to benefit their own personal economy?
There is no societal gain from street fighting. The two are not even comparable.

There is no societal gain from street fighting. The two are not even comparable.
No societal gain from street fighting? People have made careers out of it.

My point is, saying that someone who is a fighter shouldn't fight street fights, is ridiculous.
Nobody should fight street fights, period. It most often happens when alcohol is involved, from both parties, and it's difficult to find out the root of what actually happened in some instances.

Obviously it was a bad thing for Oezdemir to get caught up in this, hopefully it gets resolved without further implications. Ending up in a situation like this, for anyone, is a blemish in and of itself, however.

Back