New Korean MMA News and Discussion

Looks like TFC is becoming a destination.

TFC 16 is shaping up nicely, with a title fight and the first round of a tournament to decide the bantamweight title.

TFC 16
Dec 9, 2017
Sun Hak Gymnasium
Incheon, South Korea

Featherweight title fight:
Jae Woong Kim (6-2-0 S. Korea) vs. Seung Woo Choi (6-1 S. Korea)

Bantamweight tournament semifinals:
Trevin Jones (9-4 Guam/USA) vs. Jae Hyun So (10-13 S. Korea)
Young Jin Hwang (4-3 S. Korea) vs. Myung Gu Kim (7-2 S. Korea)

Women's 110lbs catchweight: Ji Yeon Seo (2-2 S. Korea) vs. Si Yoon Park (1-0 S. Korea)​

Looks like a similar layout to the hundreds of music/talent shows. Makes sense I guess since they are really popular in Korea.

Wish it wasn't through MBC though, there's little chance it gets subbed because they are assholes towards fan subbers.

Road FC releases some broadcast and ratings info for Road FC 44:
Xiaomi ROAD FC 044 took place on November 11, 2017 at the Hebei Gymnasium in Shijiazhuang, China. The event aired liv on CCTV5 in China, MBC Sports+ in South Korea, Abema in Japan, MNB in Mongolia, SportsFix in Southeast Asia, and YouTube around the world.

On CCTV5, ROAD FC 044 live achieved third in the ratings with a 4.88% share, the historic high for ROAD Fighting Championship.

http://roadfc.com/main/news/news_view.php?key=JTI1MjUzRCUyNTI1M0RRTjNjVE8=

A few guys competed at the Sambo World Championships this past weekend. The full event videos are on this same channel but they uploaded the finals bouts as individual videos.

Current HEAT Heavyweight champion out of Team MAD, Sang Soo Lee vs former ACB champ Denis Goltsov

Seo Hyeon Ko, I don't think he has fought in MMA but he was impressive

It's their amateur league. It doesn't stream that I'm aware of but sometimes videos pop up.

The TFC president wants to hold a joint event with Road FC next December.
http://rank5.kr/archives/17041

Frankly, I think it's silly that in a scene as small as Korea's, Road hasn't signed any KTT guys ever since KTT started their own promotion.

Fujita weighed 123 for that fight according to the database. She's only 5'0 and looks like she carries some extra fat around her midsection so it's possible she can make 105. Yuri is a tiny Strawweight herself and has weighed in at 110 before.

48kg is the weight they gave for the bout so that's what I put.

Koreans havnt been successful lately in the UFC. Lil Dong hyun Kim and Jung r the last Koreans with UFC wins.

It's a hard thing to judge since the top fighters haven't been active lately. KZ, Doo Ho Choi, and Kyung Ho Kang have all been mostly inactive. I think it's more just a lot of factors piling up at once more than being an indicator of how good they are.

Hamderlei left after getting robbed a few times, at a class above her weight no less (one of those girls is a Flyweight now). I thought Ji Yeon Kim won her fight, will have to see how she does against Kish, she should be pretty large at Flyweight. Chan Mi has potential but clearly needs to pick up some regional experience.

Kwak has been a disappointment. I still have hope for him but he needs to try a new camp, he has outgrown KTT which is going through a ton of changes lately. Lim was always a limited brawler that would have trouble against faster and more technical guys. He should give Middleweight a chance, I think the weight cut affects him negatively.

Stun Gun is still a top 15 guy but it's clear that he's reaching the end.

Starting to see top Korean talent stay in Asia lately as well. Soo Chul Kim has stated that he has no interest in the UFC, at least until they start compensating Asian fighters better. Yoon Jun Lee will almost certainly stay with ROAD if he returns. Seems like Mu Gyeom Choi has no interest in leaving ROAD. Dongi Yang left the UFC after winning his return fight. There are just way more opportunities at home for these guys than there were in the past decade.

Dongi Yang left the UFC after winning his return fight. There are just way more opportunities at home for these guys than there were in the past decade.
What is he doing with his career? Hasn't fought for over 2 years.

What is he doing with his career? Hasn't fought for over 2 years.
He left KTT and started Team Macho with Hyun Gyu Lim, Jang Yong Kim, and other guys that left. He signed to Gleamon FC earlier this year but I'm pretty sure they went under. Haven't heard anything about him since around May.

Anyone else disappointed with the lack of title defenses in Road this year? LW was out the whole year, and half of next year. Flyweight hasn't been defended in forever. Bantamweight was crowned in April, but no sign of his first defense. Mu Gyeom Choi at featherweight hasn't defended in well over a year, and seems to be busy running his own gym now. Middleweight just crowned an interim due to an injured champ. Mighty Mo only had one defense this year, but has been keeping in shape.

Seems like Ham is the quickest to turn around for a defense, after 6 months, which isn't bad.

December show apparently has an additional fight.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/road-fc-045-xx-dec-23-2017.3639569/

Min Jong Song has been injured and won't return until next year. Bantamweight is in a bit of disarray with Yoon Jun Lee's situation. I doubt A Sol fights before the tournament ends, not worth risking a loss from him. Not sure what Mu Gyeom Choi is up to.

A lot of Road FC fighters are scheduled to fight overseas before the end of the year. This article
talks about Road FC's commitment to getting their fighters experience fighting outside of Korea when the opportunities arise.

* ROAD FC players overseas tour schedule *

November 25 Japan ZST Park Hae Jin,
November 25 Russian MFP Kim Se-young and Lee Sung-soo
On December 2, the Russian MFP Wang Hee, Jin Tae Ho
December 8 Russian MFP Jang Dae-young
December 10 Japan RINGS / OUTSIDER Goh Dong-hyuk, Kim Hyungsoo
December 10 Japan GRACHAN Shim Yu Ri
December 23, Japan DEEP Park Jung Eun, Jeon Chan Hyun, Yoon Daewon,
December 29 Japan RIZIN Moon Jae Hoon

surprised and disappointed with the article about bang's match-fixing.

Korean MMA fighter gets 10-month jail term for taking bribe in match fixing scam

South Korean mixed martial arts fighter Bang Tae-hyun was sentenced to 10 months in prison by a local court Friday for his involvement in a match fixing scam.

The Seoul Central District Court said Bang was found guilty of taking a bribe of 100 million won ($92,160) from match-fixing brokers in exchange for throwing a bout at the Ultimate Fighting Championship event in South Korea in 2015. Three brokers who handed money to Bang also received jail terms for their misdeed.

"The crime of match fixing damages the credibility of sport, and in international matches, it has a bad effect on the country's credibility as well," the court said. "Bang had an obligation to play the game fairly, but he ignored it and took an important role in the scheme. But we did take into consideration that Bang won the bout and returned the money afterwards."

full article at the link and on sherdog's front page, with sherdog's article also saying dae won kim was involved.

Back