And now I'm a Brown Belt

Steve3730

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't post or follow these message boards as much as I use to but back when I was coming up they were a great place to turn to when I wasn't on the mats. So I still owe a huge thank you to the Sherdog message boards that helped me get here.

It has been a journey for sure, took my first intro class 2/16/08 started training here and there at the end of 08 and in March of 09 got introduced to my coach Ramiro and have not stopped since. Started this journey as an overweigh couch potato Jiujitsu has changed my life to the point that I now run marathons,tough-mudders,spartan race, etc.It also has taken me to places and experienced things I never would have without it, from training on the mats with legends in Brazil to various gyms across the country to the GOAT Marcelo in NYC

Blue Belt 9/11/10
Purple Belt 12/19/13
Brown Belt 11/21/17

Thank you Sherdog!

Congratulations.

That sounds very similar to what I've gone through with Judo. I started it in 2003 but was so out of shape (terrible diet, zero exercise and heavy smoker) that I couldn't cope with it. I quit smoking in 2008, started exercising and eating properly and started judo again a few months later.

My cardio has always been poor so marathons are my idea of hell but I lift weights and am fairly strong. Yesterday I had my first fights for my black belt. I won 5 out of 7 so I'm half way there. There's no way I could have done that 10 years ago.

It's a great feeling to see all the years of hard work come to fruition. It's especially heartening to think about the amount of people I've met over the years who've told me how they are going to study martial arts and become the ultimate bad ass. 99% of them have done nothing but talk and haven't put in the work needed to improve.

Well done for what you've achieved. We both know they done't just give out black and brown belts for nothing so I'm sure we've had our asses kicked plenty of times but still kept coming back.

As with yourself, I've met and trained with some very good players over the years. My instructor won a world masters tournament in Japan and I've also trained with a couple of European champions. It's a pretty humbling experience (especially as they've all been half my size but threw me around like a rag doll) but also inspiring.

I hope you keep up with it and let us know when you get your black belt.

I don't post or follow these message boards as much as I use to but back when I was coming up they were a great place to turn to when I wasn't on the mats. So I still owe a huge thank you to the Sherdog message boards that helped me get here.

It has been a journey for sure, took my first intro class 2/16/08 started training here and there at the end of 08 and in March of 09 got introduced to my coach Ramiro and have not stopped since. Started this journey as an overweigh couch potato Jiujitsu has changed my life to the point that I now run marathons,tough-mudders,spartan race, etc.It also has taken me to places and experienced things I never would have without it, from training on the mats with legends in Brazil to various gyms across the country to the GOAT Marcelo in NYC

Blue Belt 9/11/10
Purple Belt 12/19/13
Brown Belt 11/21/17

Thank you Sherdog!
Congrats from one oldschool poster to another. ;)
Don't forget to change your sig - add the brown belt date. :)

Back