Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Me too. Basic and AIT. IOBC and Ranger school. Later Ft Bragg and Ft Hood. But Fort Benning, GA, will always be a special place in my memory. Blackberry bushes on the land navigation course. Ice cream truck during bivouac. I was there as an E-3 and later as an O-1.

Your Top Secret will automatically drop down to a Secret after 5 years and be good for another 5 years. Unless you need to maintain a TS clearance. But hey, you can still find classified stuff on the internet. Life was easier with just a Secret clearance. Less meetings/briefings to have to go to. :)

Is that really true? I’ve just never read that or heard that.

Is that really true? I’ve just never read that or heard that.

Yes indeed my friend. I worked in the S2 shop for a while and issued SECRET and TOP SECRET clearances. I think you can Google it and find out. A SECRET will drop down to a CONFIDENTIAL. I know it is because my Commander hounded me about it to keep soldiers MOS qualified for deployment.

Give OPM (Office of Personnel Management) a call. They may mention it on their website. That is how it worked 10 years ago if you were in service and your TS clearance expired. If you leave the military for a civilian job it is a different story (break in service). I used to have access to OPM's Security Clearance database. I had to generate a monthly report for my Battalion and the Brigade. Interim clearances also counted towards MOS qualification for deployment.

The dreaded 'MOSQ slide' on those PowerPoint presentations. Red, Yellow, or Green based on your security clearance status (i.e. deployment status). Man, I hated those 'desk jokey' days. Administrative work, planning, and pushing paper. Longing to get back with the soldiers and being in the field. Fun was over when I made Major.

It's 5 years for TS, then you're required to be reinvestigated to keep that clearance level.

What did you guys think it was?

It's 5 years for TS, then you're required to be reinvestigated to keep that clearance level.

This is how it's been. And whenever you leave a position, it goes inactive. It can easily be re-activated for up to 24 months as long as the re-evaluation period hasn't passed. That's my understanding of the process.

This is how it's been. And whenever you leave a position, it goes inactive. It can easily be re-activated for up to 24 months as long as the re-evaluation period hasn't passed. That's my understanding of the process.

You might lose your read on and special program access but when you leave I think you retain the clearance.

What you said is how I understand it, I will say that reinvestigation isn't a quick process.

Same. I was confused about what @Phr3121 said pertaining to the whole TS drops to a secret after 5 years if not reinvestigated.

News to me.
It's 5 years for TS, then you're required to be reinvestigated to keep that clearance level. What did you guys think it was?
Same. I was confused about what @Phr3121 said pertaining to the whole TS drops to a secret after 5 years if not reinvestigated.

Ok, you guys are complicating things. Here is what I said:
Your Top Secret will automatically drop down to a Secret after 5 years and be good for another 5 years.

That's if you do nothing. Of course, if you want to maintain a TS, than you have to be re-investigated. I'm talking about soldiers that no longer need a TS and only a Secret clearance. They don't have to be re-investigated. The TS drops to a Secret Clearance and is good for another 5 years. OPM will automatically update the individual in their database after 5 years with a TS clearance.

Last edited:
you busters watching the fights??

edit whoops wrong thread.

Ok, you guys are complicating things. Here is what I said:

That's if you do nothing. Of course, if you want to maintain a TS, than you have to be re-investigated. I'm talking about soldiers that no longer need a TS and only a Secret clearance. They don't have to be re-investigated. The TS drops to a Secret Clearance and is good for another 5 years. OPM will automatically update the individual in their database after 5 years with a TS clearance.
I understand it perfectly. Secret 5 years and TS 10 years. Once one drops the other kicks in. It’s kinda like a game and such.

you busters watching the fights??

edit whoops wrong thread.
Lol at watching cage fighting. We’re in here have a intelligent convo on security clearances, bro.

Lol at watching cage fighting. We’re in here have a intelligent convo on security clearances, bro.
giphy.gif

military-sucks.jpg

As a retired Airman, I must say... :)

Back