Routinely inconsistent

I've been massaging my forearms/elbows (myofascial release) for the past two days and my left arm feels a lot better, which is the one that was hurting the most. Right still doesn't feel 100%, but there's improvement there as well.

Played two hours of hockey today with guys way out of my skill level. Quads are on fire. But the good news is I didn't have to handle the puck too much so my arms are still fine.

I'm going to try and crush a nap and head to the gym before work tonight, but it's not looking good. I didn't sleep all that well the past few days.

Went to the gym today, just to do some squats. I got there and soooo many bros were in the squat rack. I decided to go shoot some hoops to kill some time.

I got asked to play pick up with a bunch of short Filipinos, and one fat, tall unathletic white dude, and I fucking dominated them. I felt like Shaq playing against a bunch of regular joes. I wasn't even jumping for rebounds. An hour and a half later of playing in my converses, my feet were throbbing. I don't know how those old timers did it day in and day out.

Wasn't down for squats afterwards, but I still think it was a productive day. My cardio has gotten better, and I haven't jumped that high since college. Something must be working in my workouts!

A day later and I now realize that I tweaked my left ankle. I guess that's what happens when you ball as hard as I did. Hopefully it heals up quick! But as of right now I'm walking with a noticeable limp.

Went out to powerskating even though my ankle's not 100%. It was good to get out and get a hard skate in. I was skating with other people around my skill level, and I now realize how fast I am compared to them. In a straight line, I can keep up with guys who've played their whole lives, but change of directions and stuff is killer for me.

Overall I feel good, and I'll be at the gym in the am.

I confuse the fuck out of myself sometimes. i was going to do squat working sets of 225lbs today, but when I got to the second set, I pulled up on the 3rd rep. No idea why. Just wasn't feeling it I guess.

Wanting to save the workout session and end on a high note, I decided to attempt to set a PR of 245lbs. Instead, I hit 245lbs for a nice, smooth, triple. No idea how, or where the strength came from.

I'm assuming this is all mental, and I just checked out on that second set. But, in super stoked about the triple!

45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 5
225lbs x 3
245lbs x 3 (weight/rep PR)

Only played 1 hour of pick up hockey today. Guy I carpooled with fucked his knee and we had to leave early. Still a good skate though! Unsure if I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning before I leave for Ottawa at 5am or not

My roommate just came back from a hunting trip, and now is all about getting healthy/in shape. He convinced me that I probably wasn't going to go to the gym tomorrow, and so I went with him today.

Just did some front squats and fucked around on a cable row machine while I waited for him to finish his workout.

Front squats went up well considering my legs were burning after hockey this morning. New PR, again. I also cable rowed way more than I thought I could.

Front squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
155lbs x 5
175lbs 3 x 5 (weight/rep PR)

Cable row
150lbs x 8

After a week of partying and doing bachelor party activities in the greater Tremblant area, I got back in the gym today. Being hung over from last night, I was impressed that I only felt like throwing up for 80% of my squats. Squatted easier than I would have liked just to get back into the swing of things.

Squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3 x 5

1.5 hours of hockey today. Good skate playing with good hockey players. Legs are burning a bit. Should be taking a nap and might hit the gym after!

Minor injuries keep piling up. I have a kink in my neck/left upper back area. Hurts like a bitch.

- this
- elbows
- wrists
- left ankle

I need to switch the name of my log to routinely hurt

I was visiting my mom/sister today on the other side of Toronto, hit up a planet fitness with my brother in law. I did not know they didn't have a squat/power rack/any barbell what so ever, and it's a fucking HUGE gym.

Anyways, I just did a one day free trial thing, not the end of the world. But I was lost as fuck without barbells. I'm pretty sure I did close to 15 different exercises for various amounts of sets/reps just for shits and gigs.

The only one that I was serious with was my dips. 3 sets of 8, with the last one with 15lbs added. I also now realize how atrociously poor my pull up game is. 3 reps before I had to tap out. Gonna try and incorporate both of these exercises into my workouts again.

Went to my gym today, get some front squats in. They went up really well (minus the last rep of each set, those took some grinding). 10lbs weight/rep PR. Starting strength is dope.

Front squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3 x 5

Tomorrow I'll be playing as a hockey goalie for the first time this year (roughly my 8th time ever). I'm hoping I don't pull something

I forgot how hard it is to play goalie. My goodness. I really need to work on my flexibility. But, I out dueled the other goalie, and I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I lost almost 1lb just from sweating.

Powerskating tonight, and gym tomorrow. Woop woop

1 hour of power skating. Not a super great workout, but it was pretty technical. Learned a lot, and did something I never thought I'd be able to do! So I'm stoked about that.

Today was a good day.

I added my goals into the OP, I just realized I never did.

I now know what it truly means to grind out a set (or 3) of squats. Holy fuck. I've never dreaded my next set of squats so much in my life. But, pushed through and got a new rep PR and was feeling great.

Afterwards I figured I'd try benching again, as my elbow hadn't hurt too much in a few days. On my second warm up set (135lbs), my left elbow cracked and really started to hurt as I unracked the bar. Once it was off though, my elbow felt fine. Did my set, and decided to test it again with the same weight. Couldn't even get it off the rack this time. I've never gone from such a high at the gym, to such a low so fast.

I figure I'll have to go to a doctor sooner or later and get it checked out.

Squats
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 3
245lbs x 3 x 5 (Rep PR)

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5

Well as usual, my session before work was quite short. I don't mind though since my elbow still hurts like a cock sucker and my knee isn't 100%.

Just did some deadlifts as I hadn't done them in awhile. My posterior chain is definitely stronger as I didn't have any trouble getting the weight up, but I did have trouble holding on to the bar. I had to reset my grip before my 4th and 5th rep on my working set. It also may have gone up easier because I didn't do front squats before hand. Ah well.

Deadlifts

135lbs x 5

225lbs x 5

275lbs x 5

315lbs x 5

I was feeling pretty good today before I went to the gym, got there, and wasn't feeling like doing sets of 5 and killing myself. So I decided to try and go for my max.

I wanted to hit 275lbs by January, and I hit it today. I'm ecstatic beyond belief. Having chicken legs and being so long and lanky, I never thought it was possible. In years past when I tried to workout, I would always stall at 205. Even when I first ever squatted and I would hit quarter squat depth at most, I never once put 275 on the bar. Next stop, 3 plates!

I also tried benching again, but I needed a spotter to unpack the bar. Once I got it off my elbow was fine. I had no one to spot me on my last set, and I couldn't get it off without a lot of pain. More myofascial massages are in my future.

Also did some cable rows, and those felt great.

Squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbsx 5
225lbs x 5
245lbs x 3
265lbs x 1
275lbs x 1 PR

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
135lbs x 10

Cable row
50lbs x 8
100lbs x 5
130lbs x 5
150lbs x 3 x 5

Continuing from yesterday, I decided to test some other 1RM. Front squats and deadlifts were up today. I worked up to 215lbs and got that up decently, so I decided to go for 225lbs. That was a bad idea as any semblance of form was thrown out the window. When I hit my sticking point, I let out a decent fart, maybe even a little bit of a shart. Terrible.

Deadlift when a little better, got 335lbs with no real issues. Decided to go for it and do 355lbs, which resulted in a fail. Ah well.

Front squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
175lbs x 5
205lbs x 1
215lbs x 1
225lbs x 1 PR

Deadlift
135lbs x 5
225lbs x 5
315lbs x 2
335lbs x 1
355lbs x FAIL

Played hockey on Friday, and tweaked my knee while going into the corner and losing an edge. I've never had so many injuries in such a short span of time before. Hockey is going to be the death of me.

Went in to the gym today to see how it would hold up. Had a really bad squat session. It wasn't in pain or anything, but I definitely felt really weak coming out of the hole. Didn't want to push it too much so I backed off on the reps.

Benching, well my elbow is still fucked. But progress is being made as I was able to unrack the weight all 3 times on my "working" sets. I didn't want to up the weight and risk injury. I'll just have to keep being patient.

Squat
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
225lbs x 5
225lbs x 2 x 3

Bench
45lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
135lbs x 2 x 10

Cable row
80lbs x 5
110lbs x 5
150lbs x 3 x 5

I've also just realized why I may be stalling with my lift progress, and that would be my eating. I'm not getting enough calories/good calories in me. I'll head on over to the diet forum and take a peak at what I can find.

I'd use weightlifting shoes, or a plank under my heels or something, for those front squats if I were you.

Or at least try to keep your knees more forward and/or cut the depth short.

Back