Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Ghost in the Shell worth watching (for free, lol)?

I know that most of the reviews were not so positive, but I think it looks like a fun movie that would be 7/10 at best.

I'm on Episode 5 of The Punisher right now. Why'd you skip Daredevil? You know that's where his character was introduced into the Netflix Marvel world, right? Regardless of what you think of Daredevil as a character or of the prospects of that show, if you're enjoying The Punisher, then you HAVE to go back and watch Daredevil because he completely steals the show to the point where I was getting angry when they'd cut back to Daredevil's storyline :D
Idk just never really felt like committing to a tv show. Im on ep2 now

Train to Busan was a bit over hyped, but still really good. Havent seen a horror movie i enjoyed like that in a while. A lot of stupid decisions by the passengers, and it drags a bit when the train stops, but it works itself out, and got a bit emotional at the end.

@Flemmy Stardust

I actually really enjoy all of the Marvel shows on Netflix -- I just dislike their movies.

I generally like what Marvel puts out period. That said, I thought it was pretty obvious that the Netflix stuff was the B-team, so to speak. Daredevil was ok as Batman-lite (since when did ninjas take over again?) and The Defenders was fun as a minor league Avengers, but I couldn't watch Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, or Luke Cage as standalones. Daredevil and The Punisher are the only legitimately good shows of the bunch and even they don't have shit on the movies IMO.

I loved The Punisher -- my only problem with it was that toward the end he just takes TOO MUCH punishment for it to even be conceivable. But, I really enjoyed it besides that, and it IS a comic book show, so, whatever.

I just finished it and I had this in mind while I was watching and I kept wondering when he was actually going to start getting hurt because everything seemed so tame...

v1SR1lM.gif

That rooftop scene with the two of them arguing was perfection.

I loved it when Daredevil was fighting The Hand ninjas and Frank just starts sniping them.

CE8Eglg.gif

Idk just never really felt like committing to a tv show. Im on ep2 now

It's not the best thing you'll ever watch, but you'll feel it shift into another gear when The Punisher shows up. And, like I said, I just finished The Punisher and I can't decide if I liked the standalone or the Daredevil stories better.

I know that most of the reviews were not so positive, but I think it looks like a fun movie that would be 7/10 at best.

It's a decent time waster, but if you've seen the original then there's no real point of watching it.

Train to Busan was a bit over hyped, but still really good. Havent seen a horror movie i enjoyed like that in a while. A lot of stupid decisions by the passengers, and it drags a bit when the train stops, but it works itself out, and got a bit emotional at the end.

@Flemmy Stardust

I love my Korean movies, but that's probably the most overrated Flick coming out of SK.
I felt no tension in that.The CGI was terrible.
It was riding solely on that zombie wave which is ,for some reason, still popular

Watched Upstream Color. Wow... It reignited my love for film. What an enormous artistic undertaking by the writer, director, actor, producer and composer. The director doesn't assume his audience is incompetent as it seems all contemporary directors do. The layers of complexity and vision are unmatched in modern film and I would recommend the movie to any serious film fan. Make sure you are in a relaxed setting with good sound and just go along for the journey as it's odd, non linear at times, visually and audibly dense, and metaphoric...

Last edited:
It's a decent time waster, but if you've seen the original then there's no real point of watching it.

I love my Korean movies, but that's probably the most overrated Flick coming out of SK.
I felt no tension in that.The CGI was terrible.
It was riding solely on that zombie wave which is ,for some reason, still popular
It is, but it's still enjoyable. Korean cinema gets overrated beyond belief but thats life. I dont even fight it anymore.

@Bullitt68 you should check this and see what you think

Watched Upstream Color. Wow... It reignited my love for film. What an enormous artistic undertaking by the writer, director, actor, producer and composer. The director doesn't assume his audience is incompetent as it seems all contemporary directors do. They layers of complexity and vision are unmatched in modern film and I would recommend the movie to any serious film fan. Make sure you are in a relaxed setting with good sound and just go along for the journey as it's odd, non linear at times, visually and audibly dense, and metaphoric...

A little bit rapey, too.

Really? That's about all I remember about it. The whole thing centers around the trauma of being intimately violated.

Hmm, the main character is drugged and implanted with a parasite... there is no suggestion of rape as she is with the perpetrator for many scenes after. If rape is implied it's extremely cryptic. She claims she's pregnant at one point, but there is a sex scene which one would assume is the culprit... It's entirely possible it went over my head, as ambiguity is a selling point of the film.

Yeah I felt so, I mean its a more straight forward action thriller than the original but more well done than most with a good cast and some interesting visuals, I would say a solid 8/10.

The media had gotten so caught up in the whitewashing storm(which I think was rather lazy and misdirected scapegoating) that I don't think it really got a fair shake critically.

Have you guys seen Closer, if so what did you think?

For me it's one of the rawest and greatest movies about how brutal and heartbreaking relationships can be. I fucking love this movie and every actor is spot on with the portrayal.

Thor: Ragnarok had a great soundtrack and was fun as hell, Taika Waititi knows humor, and Thor joins Ant-Man, Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy as proof that you can have excellent humor in superhero movies. Speaking of Waititi, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Swiss Army Man(Kwan) is a great duo for back to back watching.

Agreed with everything said about Suicide Squad, I was really looking forward to this one, but it was just utterly terrible. Margot Robbie was a great Harley Quinn, Will Smith was passable, everything else was just SHIT SHIT SHIT. I have no idea what Leto was doing with that Joker portrayal, it's like all these years of masturbating to himself culminated in a huge edgy jizz of a character that even Rob Liefeld couldn't have fucked up further.

Have you guys seen Closer, if so what did you think?

For me it's one of the rawest and greatest movies about how brutal and heartbreaking relationships can be. I fucking love this movie and every actor is spot on with the portrayal.
One of my favourites. You should search up the SMC thread on it for more discussion, pretty sure I have some essay-length posts in there.

Oh shit, there's an online forum movie club? That must be the nerdiest thing I've seen in a while, where do I sign up?

I guess Caveat said everything there is to say about the movie, it just feels like a relationship movie that's not full of hollywood. It's raw, relateable and hard to watch, but sooo good. Clive Owen became one of my favorite actors after that movie (And following up with Children of Men didn't stop that). Quotes like "That's the spirit. Thank you. Thank you for your honesty. Now fuck off and die, you fucked up slag.", "Anna: Why is the sex so important? Larry: Because I'm a fucking caveman!" and "Dan: You think love is simple. You think the heart is like a diagram. Larry: Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist, wrapped in blood! Go fuck yourself! You writer! You liar!" cements Larry as an intelligent man who sees the world for what it is, and who's sick of these morons portraying love, human emotions and sex as something magical and romantic. Truly one of my favorite characters in a movie.

No to bring that TMZ vibe in here but I find it remarkable how fast they were able to reshoot this movie following Kevin Spacey's scandal. The trailers are night/day though and I honestly preferred the first.

Original Trailer

New Trailer (w/ Christopher Plummer as J Paul Getty)

I was hoping they were just going to insert clips of Plummer screaming shakespear from Star Trek 6...

Last edited:
Oh shit, there's an online forum movie club? That must be the nerdiest thing I've seen in a while, where do I sign up?

@chickenluver has you covered.

Also iirc Clive played the character of Dan in the theater version (which is hard to imagine after seeing the film).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back