170x2
180x3

A. Pull-ups
x10 x3

B. Good Mornings
60x10
80x10
90x10

Left knee patellofemoral pain, right shoulder rotator cuff pain, upper-back pain, right arm/hand numbness.

BW at the end of the practice = 88.5 kg.

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I've been working with the last 5 years.

Ulnar nerve entrapment was at the neck, due to neck injury, symptoms were exclusively at the fingers (now numbness is all the way from the elbow to the fingers). Took 3 months for symptoms to subside. I had done physiotherapy sessions plus NSAIDs but I don't think those helped at all.

No clear connection is a stretch. Sometimes they are unrelated, but when you have a case like mine, where symptomatology already shows a clear connection between pain on the spine and nerve symptoms distally, an MRI will help assess the condition of the tissues and whether an operation should or should not be consider.

And yes, since it's just numbness that means it's likely an entrapment at the dorsal/afferent root. If there were loss of motor function, then that would obviously require immediate attention.

Thanks for the comments, though. How have you been doing?
Yeah no clear connection might be a stretch, but I'm a little torn on MRIs as the deciding factor. There's no doubt that you have root compression, but as an MRI mostly shows the mechanic compression, less so the inflammatory and not the ischemic response, nor how homoestatis is effected in the nerve tissue (which is not completely understood anyway) I'd still argue that it's the symptomatology that is primero uno most of the time. Wouldn't you say? That's the way things are moving anyway. Another thing is that some protrusions and even prolapses subside on their own, so there's that whole thing too. Obviously the MRI can help narrow it down, and any osteosynthesis/degenerative stuff will show as wel!

If I was in your shoes I would probably get an MRI too if my symptoms didn't go away, and definitely if they became worse. I'm dealing some pretty severe cervical stuff myself so I can relate.

Hope everything works out! You're a smart and knowledgeable dude who has worked through a lot of issues it seems, so there's hope :)!

Thanks, I'm doing well! About to have my last internship and then write my bachelors and finally start working full time! How are you doing?

I'd still argue that it's the symptomatology that is primero uno most of the time. Wouldn't you say? That's the way things are moving anyway. Another thing is that some protrusions and even prolapses subside on their own, so there's that whole thing too. Obviously the MRI can help narrow it down, and any osteosynthesis/degenerative stuff will show as wel!

If I was in your shoes I would probably get an MRI too if my symptoms didn't go away, and definitely if they became worse. I'm dealing some pretty severe cervical stuff myself so I can relate.

I've been having conversations with our resident kinesiologist about that very sentiment. We're trying to show the powers that be in our organization that the old man medical model of prevention isn't necessarily the best for everyone.

I agree, do the imaging.

Yeah no clear connection might be a stretch, but I'm a little torn on MRIs as the deciding factor. There's no doubt that you have root compression, but as an MRI mostly shows the mechanic compression, less so the inflammatory and not the ischemic response, nor how homoestatis is effected in the nerve tissue (which is not completely understood anyway) I'd still argue that it's the symptomatology that is primero uno most of the time. Wouldn't you say? That's the way things are moving anyway. Another thing is that some protrusions and even prolapses subside on their own, so there's that whole thing too. Obviously the MRI can help narrow it down, and any osteosynthesis/degenerative stuff will show as wel!

Hope everything works out! You're a smart and knowledgeable dude who has worked through a lot of issues it seems, so there's hope :)!

Thanks, I'm doing well! About to have my last internship and then write my bachelors and finally start working full time! How are you doing?
Thanks.

I would say spinal MRIs are useful for two things: 1) to rule out serious bone damage after traumatic accidents, and 2) to help with decisions on whether surgery is mandated, and what type of surgery might be optimal. So, if there is no suspicion of serious bone damage, and if there are no serious neurological symptoms (which mine currently aren't), and MRI isn't warranted. Other than informing on immobilisation or surgical interventions, spinal MRIs are pretty useless as they provide no useful information. As an example, the MRI in my neck showed 2 disc hernias and 2 disc prolapses. That information has been entirely useless to me: whether I knew there were 2 hernias and 2 prolapses or whether I was only aware of the symptoms (which, at the time, included localised pain, ROM limitations, and hand numbness that persisted for 3 months), I would have done nothing different in terms of rehab and subsequent management.

Other than being a physical wreck, I am trying to do the best I can with work. Conditions are far (very far) from ideal, but I'm trying to do my best with what I'm given.

Thanks.

I would say spinal MRIs are useful for two things: 1) to rule out serious bone damage after traumatic accidents, and 2) to help with decisions on whether surgery is mandated, and what type of surgery might be optimal. So, if there is no suspicion of serious bone damage, and if there are no serious neurological symptoms (which mine currently aren't), and MRI isn't warranted. Other than informing on immobilisation or surgical interventions, spinal MRIs are pretty useless as they provide no useful information. As an example, the MRI in my neck showed 2 disc hernias and 2 disc prolapses. That information has been entirely useless to me: whether I knew there were 2 hernias and 2 prolapses or whether I was only aware of the symptoms (which, at the time, included localised pain, ROM limitations, and hand numbness that persisted for 3 months), I would have done nothing different in terms of rehab and subsequent management.

Other than being a physical wreck, I am trying to do the best I can with work. Conditions are far (very far) from ideal, but I'm trying to do my best with what I'm given.
Yeah I agree completely.

I see. Yeah, there's hurdles everywhere, some bigger than others. I'd like to think about it as growing pains, but it's not always easy. Keep on trucking my friend.

I'll stop hijacking the thread, so I'll just say have a nice day!

Wednesday, October 25

One-arm Ring Rows

x6+6 x3

Power Cleans
100x3 x5

Squats
80x6 x3
100x6

R shoulder rotator cuff is very problematic.

L knee had an unreasonable amount of PF pain for the first few days after last week's 180 triple; after a week of rest I'd say it's now back to 80%.

Tuesday, November 7

Row Machine

5 mins

Jump-rope
3 mins

A. Tuck Jumps
x10 x3

B. Ring Chin-ups
x8 x3

C. DB Curl & Press
12.5 x8+8 x3

D. Hang Power Cleans
40/60/80 x6

E. Multi-directional Lunges
17.5+17.5 x6+6 x3

F. Bench Press
40/60/60 x10

G. Ring Rows
x10 x3

H. Box Blasts
x6+6 x3

A. Squat
40/60/80 x10

B. Incline DB Press
17.5x12 x3

C. One-arm DB Row
30x10 x3

A. Deadlift
80/100/100 x8

B. Incline DB Flies
10x15 x3

C. Face Pulls
SMB x20 x3

Knee got worse, then better, currently around 80-85%.

Right shoulder refuses to improve.

Monday, November 20

Running

5.5 k
moderate to low intensity

Been taking time off of lifting. Did some light squats last week, have been doing a rehab/strength routine for the the shoulders. Both the L knee cartilage and the R shoulder rotator cuff are getting better, but not good enough to resume lifting. I'm thinking of asking for an IMR for that shoulder.

Wednesday, November 22

Clean

80x5 x3

Squat
80x10 x3

Deadlift
120x5 x3

Ring Chin-ups
x12 x4

Friday, November 24

Bench Press

several sets of 10 between 60 and 85 kg

Squat
up to 120x10

Knees felt normal, I think I'm over the hump with that one.

There is still some posterior right shoulder pain. Got a shoulder and neck MRI, we'll see if they results will be of any use.

Last edited:
Friday, December 9

Bench Press

80x10
90x6 x3
80x10 x3

Squat
140x3
160x3
175x3

Ring Rows
x15 x3

A. GHD Sit-ups
x15 x3

B. Face Pulls
[blue band] x15 x3

My left wrist is fucked. Probably torn ligaments. If it's ok a month from now I'll be stoked.

I went for 170x3 on Monday and failed the third rep. I want 170x5 before the end of next week.

EDIT: it should be clear from the above that I am not quite in my best mental shape.

Monday, December 11

Bench Press

80x5
90x5
100x5 x2
90x8
80x12

Squat
120x3
140x2
160x2
170x2
175x2
180x2
160x5

Tuesday, December 12

Overhead Press

40x8 x5

Wednesday, December 13

Alternating Incline DB Press

[17.5+17.5]x16 x5

Squats
120x3
140x3
160x3 x2

Barefoot Run
3,800 m

Friday, December 15

Squat

140x3
160x3
170x5
180x1
190x1
140x3

A. Incline Db Flies
[7.5+7.5]x30 x4

B. Ring Rows
x20 x3

C. GHD Sit-ups
x15 x3

Well, that's 170x5 when last Monday I missed 170x3. It was a strong set, too, I'm pretty sure I could have pulled 5 reps with something like 175 on the bar.

Yesterday I got the results of the shoulder and neck MRIs I did a couple of weeks ago. Both pretty much appear to be FUBARed.

Monday, December 18

Sprints

10m x6

Plyo Tuck Jumps
x10 x3

Single-leg Bounds
x6 x3+3

A. Alternating Incline DB Press
20x15
25x15 x2

B. Face Pulls
x15 x3

A. Bench Press
70x10
80x10
90x8

B. TRX Rows
x12 x3

Wednesday, December 20

Squat

120x8 x3

A. DB Press (small incline)
[30+30]x12 x3

B. Ring Pull-ups
x5 x4

B. GHD Sit-ups
x12 x3

A. DB Flies (slight incline)
7.5x30 x3

B. Ring Rows
x20 x3

C. Fitball Leg Curls
x20 x3

Thursday, December 21

Row Machine

Friday, December 22

Row Machine

Plyo Tuck Jumps
x10 x3

A. DB Curl & Press
15/17.5/17.5 x8

B. Box Jumps
x6 x3

A. Alternating Incline DB Press
17.5 x20 x3

B. Face Pulls
Green x20 x3

Squat
100/120/140 x8

A. Bench Press
60/80/85/85 x10

B. Ring Chin-ups
x10 x4

T’n’G Deadlifts
100/120/130 x8

A. Incline DB Flies
7.5/10/12.5 x30

B. Ring Rows
x20 x3

C. Lateral DB Raises
7.5/10/10 x16

D. GHD Sit-ups
x15 x3

A. W’s
5 x20 x2

B. DB Curls
15 x12 x2

C. Fitball Leg Curls
x20 x2

D. Fitball Crunches
x15 x2

200mg caffeine before the workout, G’n’R appetite for destruction and use your illusion I during the workout, nice “endorphin rush” at the end.

Saturday, December 23

Shoulder Resistance-band Complex

2 rounds

Back