What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

I'm about halfway through. Taking my time reading it. I read the first two books over the summer. Not enjoying this one as much but it's still pretty good.
I have a feeling this is building up to something amazing.

I do find it weird that at the end of each book Shallan gains all this confidence just to start the next book acting like a little baby and scared of everything. It's annoying to have to put up with her until she's tested.

Finished the first 2 books in the Red Rising trilogy. Working on #3. Pierce Brown is an outstanding writer.

51Sz0tsLGAL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
i really liked this series. omnis vir lupus.

the big books being read at work are oathbringer and artemis. i am currently reading 'doing time like a spy.' it's by john kiriakou. he was put in prison for blowing the whistle on the usa advanced interrogation techniques/torture.

part of the time, i wonder, 'is this shit even real.' the writing comes off a bit douchey. i have watched a few interviews with the author though and he comes across much better in a live interview.

started Lord of the Rings again. Gonna read Tiger and Wolf next.

Finished the first 2 books in the Red Rising trilogy. Working on #3. Pierce Brown is an outstanding writer.

51Sz0tsLGAL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Just finished this trilogy... pretty impressive stuff. I could see the film adaptation of this becoming the next big YA thing (if that hasn't lost steam yet)

Still haven't gotten around to reading Dune so that's probably next up.

Whats Tiger and Wolf?

I'm about to start the Gam3 book 2
Folks who like fantasy seem to enjoy it. I'm not as big of a world as I tend to enjoy (I'm a giant Tolkien snob), but I imagine I'll enjoy the world the author builds.
Tolkien plays in a roll in my dissertation, and I've been advised as of today to rewrite a large section of a chapter by introducing some thoughts on Tolkien...which means I may have to put of Tchaikovksy for a bit longer than expected.

26863058.jpg

Nothing on the go at the moment, but most recently, I read Ready Player One, and I was very happy with it. The author avoids many of the tropes of this kind of fiction but still tells a great story.

Not sure what's next but I'm thinking of re-reading the Shanara Chronicles and then trying to catch up on the TV series to see if it's any good.

Too many books to read for work to have time for novels right now. The last fiction I read was the " knights of brettonia" trilogy.

TS I really enjoy the Critical Failures theyre relly good fun.
Im currently reading 80s nostalgia fest Ready Player 1, loving it so far

I have a feeling this is building up to something amazing.

I do find it weird that at the end of each book Shallan gains all this confidence just to start the next book acting like a little baby and scared of everything. It's annoying to have to put up with her until she's tested.

I have a guess as to where it's going with Shallan. She is developing different personalities. Herself, Veil, and Radiant. Shallan will never be confident but her other personalities can be. I'm guessing at some point she will have some kind of mental breakdown or multiple personality disorder. She is already losing track of who she is.

I have a guess as to where it's going with Shallan. She is developing different personalities. Herself, Veil, and Radiant. Shallan will never be confident but her other personalities can be. I'm guessing at some point she will have some kind of mental breakdown or multiple personality disorder. She is already losing track of who she is.
Storms that sounds great

Folks who like fantasy seem to enjoy it. I'm not as big of a world as I tend to enjoy (I'm a giant Tolkien snob), but I imagine I'll enjoy the world the author builds.
Tolkien plays in a roll in my dissertation, and I've been advised as of today to rewrite a large section of a chapter by introducing some thoughts on Tolkien...which means I may have to put of Tchaikovksy for a bit longer than expected.

26863058.jpg

I ranout of steam on book 5 of th eMazalan series. Not sure if i can take on this effort :)

Edgedancer by sanderson was cool. Novella from storm light. Takes place between book 2 and 3

I'm half way through Oathbringer at the moment, it's good but a lack of Kaladin chapters is definitely hurting it. I am really liking the bridge 4 chapters though. Getting to know more about Rock, Teft, Skar & Sigzil has been cool.

I've never really liked Shallan tbh, in her very first chapter it laid out that she was a liar and a thief.

Edgedancer by sanderson was cool. Novella from storm light. Takes place between book 2 and 3
Lift is by far my favorite substory in the stormlight archive. She's just great. I tend to read most Sanderson books, but I listened to that on Audiobook, and the narrator made it amazing. Really brought out the characters of Lift and wyndle.

warbreaker is also connected to storm light. if you like storm light I think it's a must read. sequel is coming out soon too

some dudes from warbreaker showed up somehow in words of radiance as well as the dude with the sword at the end

Reading the Expanse series after I watched the first season on TV, its not to bad.

Back