What 9mm pistol should I get?

freaky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gun noob here. What first gun should I get?

I'm thinking g17 and cz 75. There are just so many guns and many with great reviews. What are the pros and guns between polymer and steel metal guns? What's a good first gun for a first timer? You know, ease of use and accuracy etc.

IMG_6603.jpg

try this one, very cheap

I'm thinking g17 and cz 75. There are just so many guns and many with great reviews. What are the pros and guns between polymer and steel metal guns? What's a good first gun for a first timer? You know, ease of use and accuracy etc.

It's cliche, but go with the what feels and shoots the best. My first pistol was a Glock 35, because I wanted a do-all gun (except conceal carry, which is rather inaccessible in my state). Yeah, it's a .40sw but Glock has lots of aftermarket support and I have a 9mm barrel. Being able to switch barrels is a good thing. Then, I got a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm and discovered that I liked the trigger better. My point is that you discover what you really like the more brands you try.

Bottom line is, it's hard to go wrong if you stick with a reputable brand. Grab them all, test what you can, don't sweat not having the perfect gun 'cause it doesn't exist.

Both the Glock and CZ are great choices. Hold then both and pick whichever your heart most desires.

Personally I prefer metal, but I don't carry so weight isn't a big concern. CZ's have a better reputation for accuracy than Glocks.

What do you want it for?

Ease of use? It's hard to beat the Glock, XDS, and M&Ps for ease of use. All three are simple as fuck to take apart to clean and field strip super fast once you get used to them.

My suggestion... go to a gun store, pick a couple up and see how they feel, ask if they are ok with you dry firing the gun and see which trigger you like.

I know you said G17 but I would just point out that the SEALs went to a G19 when they recently replaced their P226s and most cops carry a G19 or G23 and NOT the full size 17 or... is the full size 40 from Glock the 22? I love my G23 with conversion barrel but I pick up a 17 and I feel like I'm holding a brick.

As to pros and cons of steel frame vs polymer. Polymer is lighter even when fully loaded but the steel frame you could beat someone to death with it easier probably.

IMG_6603.jpg

try this one, very cheap
I said I'm a first time user. The hyperfire is too elite for me.

It's cliche, but go with the what feels and shoots the best. My first pistol was a Glock 35, because I wanted a do-all gun (except conceal carry, which is rather inaccessible in my state). Yeah, it's a .40sw but Glock has lots of aftermarket support and I have a 9mm barrel. Being able to switch barrels is a good thing. Then, I got a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm and discovered that I liked the trigger better. My point is that you discover what you really like the more brands you try.

Bottom line is, it's hard to go wrong if you stick with a reputable brand. Grab them all, test what you can, don't sweat not having the perfect gun 'cause it doesn't exist.
I know but they're kinda expensive. $15-65 to rent their gun and you MUST use their ammo which is 3x as expensive as if you get them yourself. So it's almost 100 dollar each time to try a new gun. And there's so many guns. I could buy 2-3 guns by the time I'm done testing them all. But I guess I don't really have a choice.
What do you want it for?

Ease of use? It's hard to beat the Glock, XDS, and M&Ps for ease of use. All three are simple as fuck to take apart to clean and field strip super fast once you get used to them.

My suggestion... go to a gun store, pick a couple up and see how they feel, ask if they are ok with you dry firing the gun and see which trigger you like.

I know you said G17 but I would just point out that the SEALs went to a G19 when they recently replaced their P226s and most cops carry a G19 or G23 and NOT the full size 17 or... is the full size 40 from Glock the 22? I love my G23 with conversion barrel but I pick up a 17 and I feel like I'm holding a brick.

As to pros and cons of steel frame vs polymer. Polymer is lighter even when fully loaded but the steel frame you could beat someone to death with it easier probably.
I can't ccw in this libtard state so mostly for home defense and target practice. That's why I said g17 and that extra 2 clip. g19 is easier/better to ccw.

And yea as a first timer I would like ease of use and accuracy. I originally wanted a glock but my friend recommended the CZ and he's also a polymer hater.

I know but they're kinda expensive. $15-65 to rent their gun and you MUST use their ammo which is 3x as expensive as if you get them yourself. So it's almost 100 dollar each time to try a new gun. And there's so many guns. I could buy 2-3 guns by the time I'm done testing them all. But I guess I don't really have a choice.

I understand, we've all been there. Maybe you find a buddy willing to let you shoot his gun. If you can't shoot a gun, you could try the coin method: go to a shop and ask to dry fire a gun. Place a coin on the barrel, just behind the front sight, and pull the trigger. Try to keep it there, and judge which trigger feels best to you. Hopefully there's something for you. If a gun shop is unwilling to let you do this, leave. Triggers are going to feel different; I can feel a big difference between a Glock, M&P, and Springfield. Those are just striker-fire guns; hammer-fired guns have a "cleaner" feel to them, in my opinion.

If this is just for home defense and target practice, any full-sized gun will do, e.g. Glock 17. I got the competition model Glock 35 because people seem to hate the blocky, "tetris piece" angles of the gun, and the competition models (Glock 34 for 9mm) have a rounded slide, and they also come with an extended slide release, which I love. I also much prefer the Glock Gen4 mag release, but those guns are not legal to buy in California.

I also wouldn't rule out revolvers.

Glock feels amazing in your hand when it fires, it's easy to point and the frame flexes a little which eats up the recoil, feeling very pleasant while also somehow staying reliable and accurate. It may be integrated with polymer but it feels well built and functions smoothly.

CZ is more of a target gun (a little more accurate), less of an all-around gun (a little less reliable). I haven't shot one, but I imagine it feels a lot like other all metal guns. I don't like the shallow slide/tiny slide grip, that's an annoyance that seems more at home in the 30's when they were still testing these things.

Either should be okay, but I'll bet you would like the Glock better for overall utility and simplicity.​

Gun noob?

Get something with an external safety. CZ.

Go with a full size. Like others have said, try and shoot them before buying.

Pick 2 to 3 to compare, to to the range and sink the money to test them out. Worth the investment to know what feels good in the hand, points and shoots right for you.

These are good. I like mine:

Springfield-XDM-4.5-9mm.jpg

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3978

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-9-mm/

Holds a shit load of bullets too.

It points different from a Glock. (better to me)

Swap this
http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=15&categoryId=71

and this
http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=14&categoryId=71

and you get instant trigger job.
<31>

If you dig polymer frames I'd look at Glock, and Sig Sauer -Sig will be more expensive but they make great guns.

If steel frame is your thing (would be mine personally) the Beretta 92FS (and the newer version) are where it's at. Can't beat the 'bang for the buck' here imo. I've seen them priced at mid 500's range in some cases. It's one of the best functional 9mils you can buy along with the Glock. In my experience, the Glock and Beretta are neck and neck in that world as far as reliability goes. They perform almost identical in stress tests I've seen but the Glocks frame being polymer can crack where as a steel frame gun like a Beretta won't have that potential issue.

CZ P10 is a good polymer option. Should be cheaper, more accurate, and have a better trigger than the Glock 19.

For metal frame I'd definitely handle a CZ 75 before purchasing a Beretta 92. I like the 92, but it's got a grip on it that many people don't dig.

I said I'm a first time user. The hyperfire is too elite for me.

I can't ccw in this libtard state so mostly for home defense and target practice. That's why I said g17 and that extra 2 clip. g19 is easier/better to ccw.

And yea as a first timer I would like ease of use and accuracy. I originally wanted a glock but my friend recommended the CZ and he's also a polymer hater.

Home defense? Mossberg or Remington Shotgun with a flashlight foregrip. There is no better HD weapon than a 12ga shooting 00 buck.

Target Practice/Fun? Buy a nice .22 revolver and plink the day away for cheap.

If you can’t CCW, you might as well get the best firearm for the specific job.

Home defense? Quality AR15 with a weapon light loaded with 77gr tmk.

77grTMK_06.jpg

Target Practice/Fun? Buy a nice .22 revolver and plink the day away for cheap.

If you can’t CCW, you might as well get the best firearm for the specific job.

Ftfy.

Ar pistol eith a 10.5 inch barrel shooting subsonic frangible .300 blackout with a suppressor all day every day for Home Defense.

<{cruzshake}>

Gun noob + Home Defense = Shotgun.

Decent Shotgun > Quality AR = $$$$ savings for his plinking revolver.

Let him become a Tacticool Mall Operator on his own accord.

Back