10 Reasons Why JUSTICE LEAGUE Flopped at the U.S. Box Office

Oops let me clarify DCEU vs MCU

The DCEU had all of their Villains under one banner. As of right now the MCU just this year are able to use Spidey villain. Until Disney purchasing Fox Movies is actually a done deal the Fantastic 4 and X-Men rogues are still out of reach.

Well then I obviously agree seeing as none of my examples included villains under the MCU banner, lol

Well then I obviously agree seeing as none of my examples included villains under the MCU banner, lol

The most aggravating thing about DC not getting their shit together in the DCEU is the fact they have full control of their properties. The MCU operates in a world without Mutants let that sink in.

I'd like to add a reason...
The actors that are playing the DC characters have not really been known for, or fully embodied their characters.
Christopher Reeves WAS Superman. How many people really even know the current actor's name? Henry Cavill or something ?
Affleck isn't going to be Batman for the long run. It was a mistake to choose him for the role considering they're trying to start their own comic movie universe and Batman is a huge character. Now they'll have to recast soon
The audience being able to see the actors as the characters is a big factor when they are playing such famous and iconic characters. Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot is the only one who is on track to do that.
I can't ever picture myself thinking "yep, let's go watch Ezra Miller as the Flash in his new solo film" He holds no presence for me whatsoever.

Jason Momoa as Aquaman was a good pick, but they gave the audience no time to really get to know his character and accept him as AM because they jammed him into a team movie right away.

Robert Downey Jr IS Ironman.
Thor, a character that really isn't all that interesting, was made interesting by Hemsworth. Captain America is a rather plain character himself, but his movies gained popularity because they had a solid actor and a solid team of support. Lesser characters like Black Widow, Nick Fury, and even Hawkeye and Loki either got some popularity, or made a name for themself because of the actor playing them.
Even look at the Xmen movies...those movies have practically all succeeded because of Hugh Jackman.
DC does not have that.
Despite getting big stars like Smith, Leto, Affleck, Fishburne, Costner, and Crowe to join their movies, they spend no time actually developing these characters.
They do everything half assed.

How is Ironman more popular than Superman? Superman is an icon. The actor that lands that role SHOULD be a star. RDJ made IM. Before him, i honestly never gave IM much thought

Jesus christ. As much trouble Snyder has with his stories, I’m going to miss his visuals. The difference in a Snyder shot and a Whedon shot.

Snyder:

ECD18_DE4_62_AD_4_BED_8_B7_F_BC49_FCA9_AB36.jpg

Whedon:

0451_D1_D9_97_B2_46_C4_B854_26_A9_D17_E5_FF5.jpg
Joss also added that red sky bullshit at the end of the movie. Making it look like a cartoon.

This is what happen when all those fucking nerds cried about not enough colors. Well now you got them, and it looks like shit.

The most aggravating thing about DC not getting their shit together in the DCEU is the fact they have full control of their properties. The MCU operates in a world without Mutants let that sink in.
I never thought x-men meshed with avengers superheros well. They are better off as separate universes. How is the word’s population going to be against and fear mutants but love Spider-Man and Captain America?

I never thought x-men meshed with avengers superheros well. They are better off as separate universes. How is the word’s population going to be against and fear mutants but love Spider-Man and Captain America?
I think most simply put it's the "amongst us" factor. That the fear isn't of the costumes ones so much as the rest; that it could be your neighbor, a family member, the school bully. Also the inferiority complex/'racism' of them being the next evolution of humans into a new species or whatever likely contributes too

Last edited:

They can mesh fine. Its just how you introduce, build and piece it together.

MCU has no issues with this (esp with their success) if they introduce X-Men into their world. Plus things will get refereshing when and if they do.

I'd like to add a reason...
The actors that are playing the DC characters have not really been known for, or fully embodied their characters.
Christopher Reeves WAS Superman. How many people really even know the current actor's name? Henry Cavill or something ?
Affleck isn't going to be Batman for the long run. It was a mistake to choose him for the role considering they're trying to start their own comic movie universe and Batman is a huge character. Now they'll have to recast soon
The audience being able to see the actors as the characters is a big factor when they are playing such famous and iconic characters. Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot is the only one who is on track to do that.
I can't ever picture myself thinking "yep, let's go watch Ezra Miller as the Flash in his new solo film" He holds no presence for me whatsoever.

Jason Momoa as Aquaman was a good pick, but they gave the audience no time to really get to know his character and accept him as AM because they jammed him into a team movie right away.

Robert Downey Jr IS Ironman.
Thor, a character that really isn't all that interesting, was made interesting by Hemsworth. Captain America is a rather plain character himself, but his movies gained popularity because they had a solid actor and a solid team of support. Lesser characters like Black Widow, Nick Fury, and even Hawkeye and Loki either got some popularity, or made a name for themself because of the actor playing them.
Even look at the Xmen movies...those movies have practically all succeeded because of Hugh Jackman.
DC does not have that.
Despite getting big stars like Smith, Leto, Affleck, Fishburne, Costner, and Crowe to join their movies, they spend no time actually developing these characters.
They do everything half assed.

How is Ironman more popular than Superman? Superman is an icon. The actor that lands that role SHOULD be a star. RDJ made IM. Before him, i honestly never gave IM much thought

The most glaring example of that is just after Nickleback steals the Mother Box from Atlantis and Aquaman is talking to the female Atlantean. There is a(very)brief attempt to add some backstory to Arthur Curry which completely fails because unless you have read the comics you have no idea what they are talking about.

I rewatched Xmen 3 last night. It's light years better than Justice League.

The most glaring example of that is just after Nickleback steals the Mother Box from Atlantis and Aquaman is talking to the female Atlantean. There is a(very)brief attempt to add some backstory to Arthur Curry which completely fails because unless you have read the comics you have no idea what they are talking about.

<45>

I was downvoted to death on reddit Batman for saying that BvS sucked. Same for my honest option of JL. Fuck the internet.

These are not good movies.

Or the Fantastic Four and they only just got Spider-Man back. I still don't get how DC could mess it up this badly.

Should they reboot DCEU?

wait a few or more years. Then restart it with flash point?

That was my suggestion. Release a public statement acknowledging it and get working on properly doing this.

Here's something I was thinking about today, it's how the characters are developed and presented. MCU had Korg and everybody fucking loved him, quoted him and cared about him. In the scheme of things he should be nothing to remember, but they nailed it. Meanwhile D.C. Literally can't make a justice league movie where everyone cares about the main characters let alone the supporting cast.

That's one of the main problems with DC, superman is basically a cheat code. Marvel did the right thing by excluding thor and hulk from civil war because they are too powerful.

Yeah the power level makes no sense. If Superman can move as fast as the Flash how on earth did he struggle with Batman in the last movie?

I agree, but I think it could be quite close, maybe within just a couple million. Weekend three retention numbers are usually quite a bit better than weekend two retention (the median is about 10% points better, at least for superhero flicks, I don't have detailed stats for animation). So JL will probably come in somewhere in the 20-24mil range and Coco will probably be in the 22-28mil range.
@Dragonlordxxxxx
Holy fuck, I wasn't even close on that JL estimate. The weekend estimates show Coco at $26.1mil (at least I got that one right, almost right in the middle of my range estimate) and JL at a paltry $16.6mil (-59.7% drop when weekend three has a median of -50.4%). So it looks like turkey-day had a larger impact than I thought it did and JL came back down hard.

Yeah the power level makes no sense. If Superman can move as fast as the Flash how on earth did he struggle with Batman in the last movie?

I always thought he was holding back against batman in bvs??

Can anyone confirm?

I always thought he was holding back against batman in bvs??

Can anyone confirm?
He wasn't trying to fight him at first.
He wanted Bruce to help him because Luther had his mother hostage. The kryptonite gas is what weakened him for Batman to take him on. He didn't have his super speed or durability after he was exposed to the kryptonite

Back