10 Reasons Why JUSTICE LEAGUE Flopped at the U.S. Box Office

Well it sounded to me like you were saying you think they SHOULD'VE been trying to keep pace with Marvel.

"And it never occurred to DC to introduce Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg, Winder Woman, etc. until it was too late."

I'm saying both.
DC was only making Superman and Batman movies forever. It never occurred to them that they have an entire universe that interacts with each other. When they saw what MCU was up to, they didn't start from some organic place, they panicked. This is why we have garbage like JLA without flash, Aquaman, and cyborg movies. This is why we have Steely Dan as a villain.

Here's what I don't understand. . . Why not just let DC move at their own pace?

Why does the DCEU need to be as developed as the MCU at this point in time?

I'm sure that if DC hadn't been making the Dark Knight trilogy then they WOULD be up to speed with Marvel, but they were putting their attention and resources into that first and foremost . . . which is okay and makes sense.

Maybe the DCEU is a few years behind, but why is that actually a big problem?
That's the problem, Warner Bros. rushed their DCEU. They crammed too many epic storylines into BvS and also used that movie to advertise the Justice League. In short, the DCEU's foundation is shoddy which makes everything they do forward on shaky ground.

Anyway, this topic is part of my next article. So hopefully you can read it when it comes out.

I rewatched that fight and it was so poorly executed in how Superman aggressively steps up to Batman while asking for help. Before Batman took out the kryptonite, Superman could've easily immobilized batmat to the point he could do nothing but listen to what superman had to say. Like just hold him down or something. But he decides to push batman like 20 yards back for no reason and then tosses him through another building because Batman shot him with some bullets, which basically tickle him anyway. Then that's when Batman decides to use kryptonite? That fight made no sense.

It was poorly executed I agree. Couldve done so much better.

He didn't come there to fight though. Superman knows a man can't "fight" him. He obviously underestimated him. He came to neutralize him, not fight.

And he didn't know it was Kryptonite.
He had no reason to believe that any weapon that Batman had could hurt him. I forget, but was Kryptonite even used at all in MoS?
Either way, there was no way he could expect kryptonite gas. There was no time or reason for him to react.
The way I took that scene was that after he was exposed, he was weakened, and so he was severely depowered.
Add the ass whooping from Batman and he should have been feeling like shit.

Neutralizing Batman would be as simple as speed running up to him and choking him unconscious before he realized what was happening. Not standing right in front of him and then advancing slowly, setting off every single trap batman had set and then proceeding to punch him across the room and throw him through various walls. The fight lasted a good couple minutes before Batman pulled out the kryptonite. lol also he regained his powers halfway through the fight and let himself get hit with the kryptonite again. The whole thing didn't make sense. Heck, it doesn't even make sense in the comics, which is why I don't like Superman as a character. He's too overpowered to develop believable adversaries for.

I don't get the character motivation for the fight. 1) He wants to neutralize Batman. This would be as simple as described above. 2) He wants to kill Batman. This would be equally as simple. So he didn't want to do either of those things. Instead he "pulled his punches" which still involved hurling Batman through walls and could've killed him.

Neutralizing Batman would be as simple as speed running up to him and choking him unconscious before he realized what was happening. Not standing right in front of him and then advancing slowly, setting off every single trap batman had set and then proceeding to punch him across the room and throw him through various walls. The fight lasted a good couple minutes before Batman pulled out the kryptonite. lol also he regained his powers halfway through the fight and let himself get hit with the kryptonite again. The whole thing didn't make sense. Heck, it doesn't even make sense in the comics, which is why I don't like Superman as a character. He's too overpowered to develop believable adversaries for.

I don't get the character motivation for the fight. 1) He wants to neutralize Batman. This would be as simple as described above. 2) He wants to kill Batman. This would be equally as simple. So he didn't want to do either of those things. Instead he "pulled his punches" which still involved hurling Batman through walls and could've killed him.

I actually pretty much agree.
The fight made no sense. If Batman's goal was to kill Superman, there was no need for a fight. He should have stabbed him with the kryptonite spear the second he had the chance.
And Superman could have easily neutralized Batman without making it a fight. If he wanted Batman to listen to him, then throwing him around would obviously not accomplish that.
lol I"m definitely not trying to defend that scene because it made no sense. But, I just rewatched the movie about a week ago, and i thought the gas kryptonite was actually a good idea that didn't get as much credit as it should have. Batman isn't just some brawler, he's a genius detective. Instead of making him say some dumb shit like " I want to see you bleeeeeeed", he should have replied to Clark's remark about being able to kill him whenever he wanted with something about using his arrogance against him.

I actually pretty much agree.
The fight made no sense. If Batman's goal was to kill Superman, there was no need for a fight. He should have stabbed him with the kryptonite spear the second he had the chance.
And Superman could have easily neutralized Batman without making it a fight. If he wanted Batman to listen to him, then throwing him around would obviously not accomplish that.
lol I"m definitely not trying to defend that scene because it made no sense. But, I just rewatched the movie about a week ago, and i thought the gas kryptonite was actually a good idea that didn't get as much credit as it should have. Batman isn't just some brawler, he's a genius detective. Instead of making him say some dumb shit like " I want to see you bleeeeeeed", he should have replied to Clark's remark about being able to kill him whenever he wanted with something about using his arrogance against him.

There are probably believable ways for Batman to get kryptonite onto Superman. But getting his ass kicked for several minutes and then shooting him twice with a kryptonite gun wasn't it. He basically would've had to ambush him somehow with the kryptonite and then stab him with the spear as soon as he is weakened. But then DC couldn't have their epic fight scene.

Which is my problem with Superman as a character. There's no way to put him in a fight against a human that is both epic and believable. One punch from the guy decapitates anyone who doesn't also have his powers. And he can land it in a millisecond before the fight even begins. Its almost impossible to set up believable conflicts for such a character and do it consistently.

Not that its just the movie. The comics fuck up his powers as well.

There are probably believable ways for Batman to get kryptonite onto Superman. But getting his ass kicked for several minutes and then shooting him twice with a kryptonite gun wasn't it. He basically would've had to ambush him somehow with the kryptonite and then stab him with the spear as soon as he is weakened. But then DC couldn't have their epic fight scene.

Which is my problem with Superman as a character. There's no way to put him in a fight against a human that is both epic and believable. One punch from the guy decapitates anyone who doesn't also have his powers. And he can land it in a millisecond before the fight even begins. Its almost impossible to set up believable conflicts for such a character and do it consistently.

yep. Totally agree on Superman. He is a lame character because he is just way too overpowered.
We saw it in the JL movie. He was effortlessly taking on the entire Justice League--dude literally just woke up from the dead and was going EASY on them and still they couldn't do anything. The big bad guy of the film stood absolutely no chance when Superman came on the scene.
When you're powered by the SUN, what chance does anyone on Earth stand against you?

I really don't know how you make Superman a compelling character when he is as strong as he is. Shit, even Flash--when you can move that fast, what can stop you?

yep. Totally agree on Superman. He is a lame character because he is just way too overpowered.
We saw it in the JL movie. He was effortlessly taking on the entire Justice League--dude literally just woke up from the dead and was going EASY on them and still they couldn't do anything. The big bad guy of the film stood absolutely no chance when Superman came on the scene.
When you're powered by the SUN, what chance does anyone on Earth stand against you?

I really don't know how you make Superman a compelling character when he is as strong as he is. Shit, even Flash--when you can move that fast, what can stop you?

I haven't seen the Flash tv show and I wonder if the conflicts they set up for him make any sense. The guy in this movie was a coward who didn't know how to fight so he was believable to me. But there's not much that a fully realized Flash couldn't handle.

Just got back from this. I thought it was ok. Second best DCEU movie after Wonder Woman imo.

Only thing I didn’t like was the end battle. Felt like too much of a rehash of Avengers 1 and 2, namely the team racing against the clock to stop the villain from using some McGuffin, while battling his horde of minions and then kicking the shit out of the boss.

But the first bit was ok, and I thought the Superman vs JLA Fight was cool.

MCU got kind of lucky. They made Iron Man and it was waaaay more awesome and popular than they expected. They then tentatively and meticulously built a universe around that franchise. DC, which has been making comic book movies since the 70's (Superman) and 80's (Batman) were very slow on the uptake and when they started to see the billions rolling in they panicked and try to cobble together a competing franchise. It wasn't organic, it was forced.

Not only that, but Marvel >>>>>>>>>>>>>> DC 24/7/365/∞

Wouldn't say they got lucky, they just got better and quickly. They fumbled the first Hulk and the 2nd and 3rd Iron Man movies were average, as was the First Thor, but at least their overarching plan was strong. Also even though the movies I mentioned weren't good, they at least weren't a complete bore to watch.

DC should have followed up on the success of Batman with a few solid solo movies and built from there, but IMO they overreacted to the negative press MoS received, panicked and shit the bed. I actually enjoyed MoS, but I'm in the minority there.

Just got back from this. I thought it was ok. Second best DCEU movie after Wonder Woman imo.

Only thing I didn’t like was the end battle. Felt like too much of a rehash of Avengers 1 and 2, namely the team racing against the clock to stop the villain from using some McGuffin, while battling his horde of minions and then kicking the shit out of the boss.

But the first bit was ok, and I thought the Superman vs JLA Fight was cool.

Let's be honest, being the second best DC film doesn't mean much.

The irony is that the justice league is much more interesting when superman isn't there. That's why Flashpoint(animation) was amazing it was like civil war without Flashpoint.

Good point. A nothing character like Korg got some love because of how he was presented.
People even love Loki.
I don't care about a single DC character. Martha or Lois should have provided SOMETHING. I feel like the last few Superman movies have done a terrible job casting Lois. She just comes across as a bitchy reporter.
Why does the most powerful man on Earth love this woman? What is so special about her? How does she keep him grounded? I don't care when she is in danger.
I didn't care when Superman died.
I didn't care when Superman's dad died.
People want to criticize Marvel for all their jokes, which is fine, but going 100% serious is not hte way to go. That isn't human. There needs to be some levity. Lois and Clark are the most boring couple alive. And it's hard to care about boring people.
Superman didn't even care about his dad why should we?

the fucking template is all there for these bozos who are trying to create a DC universe

just watch the Justice League animated series ffs

Superman/Batman animated series has more than enough source material to draw from

fuck you Zack Snyder

Here's what I don't understand. . . Why not just let DC move at their own pace?

Why does the DCEU need to be as developed as the MCU at this point in time?

I'm sure that if DC hadn't been making the Dark Knight trilogy then they WOULD be up to speed with Marvel, but they were putting their attention and resources into that first and foremost . . . which is okay and makes sense.

Maybe the DCEU is a few years behind, but why is that actually a big problem?
My view is that because so many comic book characters and story lines in DC and Marvel comics are copies of one another (with Marvel arguably the bigger copier) that if DC did not try and rush and catch up, Marvel would put out all the best characters and story lines and anything DC did later would look like they were simply copying them. Even if, in fact Marvel copied DC in the comics.

DC saw the popularity of Dead Pool and said dammit there goes Dead Shot. They saw Thanos coming to life and thought dammit, there goes Darkseid. And so they just said fuck it lets get out Aquaman and make him look more like Namor to try and cut them off at the pass and so on... so on.

But unfortunately for the DCU that rush to try and get back in front just has not worked with the casual fans who need that build up and back story or they won't give a fuck about comic characters come to life.

I hate to be the guy who gets to offer every improvement in hindsight but i remember laughing at the whole contrived SuperMan, Batman fight scene and 'Marthaaaa' thing when it was supposed to fill us with jeopardy and fear as two favorites battled.

Anyway I thought immediately that instead they should have had Luther basically poison Superman with Red Kryptonite and used that as the premise as to why he and Batman had to fight. Batman had to stop Superman, knowing he was compromised. And because Superman was compromised he was not 100% and therefore that gave Batman the chance to trap and beat him. To me that would have made sense whereas the 'Marthaaaa' stuff just did not.

Agreed. Superman is ridiculously overpowered. He should have zero competition. Doomsday should have been a walk in the park, And yet, he consistently makes the stupidest fighting decisions by not using his powers besides punching people through walls.

He's literally the dumbest superhero.

Agreed. Superman is ridiculously overpowered. He should have zero competition. Doomsday should have been a walk in the park, And yet, he consistently makes the stupidest fighting decisions by not using his powers besides punching people through walls.

He's literally the dumbest superhero.
Superman is dumb, but let's not forget that Doomsday is basically a supercharged Kryptonian monster. Doomsday should be able to kill Superman pretty easily.
But Superman is ridiculously overpowered, and he is retarded in how he uses his power.
He never seems to use his speed--and he just punches shit like neanderthal.
Doesn't even use any leg kicks.

Back