Locked JUSTICE LEAGUE Movie Thread v.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
RUhZjF7.gif

;)
Yeah yeah :oops:. I was fiddling with the numbers and I'd estimate Thanksgiving probably gave them an extra ~6mil, which is about a 6.5% points extra on the retention. If you drop that 6mil from last weekend you get a weekend two of -62.7% and a weekend three of -52.6% which lines up almost perfectly with the historical ~8% week 2 vs 3 difference. So a -62% is still better than either MoS or BvS, but that swaps them to the wrong side of the median. Any hopes WB might have had of decent legs should be gone after this weekend's figures.

Yeah yeah :oops:. I was fiddling with the numbers and I'd estimate Thanksgiving probably gave them an extra ~6mil, which is about a 6.5% points extra on the retention. If you drop that 6mil from last weekend you get a weekend two of -62.7% and a weekend three of -52.6% which lines up almost perfectly with the historical ~8% week 2 vs 3 difference. So a -62% is still better than either MoS or BvS, but that swaps them to the wrong side of the median. Any hopes WB might have had of decent legs should be gone after this weekend's figures.
The public has spoken with their dollars. They don't want Zack Snyder for the DCEU. The public already said this to Warner Bros. last year with BvS's poor box office performance but the studio bit the bullet and continued with Snyder for JL. And here we are.

Surprisingly good!
Looking forward to the next ones.
Also to the Snyder version if it comes out.

8.5 for me. 9 for gf.

The public has spoken with their dollars. They don't want Zack Snyder for the DCEU. The public already said this to Warner Bros. last year with BvS's poor box office performance but the studio bit the bullet and continued with Snyder for JL. And here we are.

Not sure I'll ever get over someone saying "poor box office performance" about a movie that made nearly $900 million.

Not sure I'll ever get over someone saying "poor box office performance" about a movie that made nearly $900 million.
I know how it sounds, but also gotta think about how much money it costs to make the movie. They're putting a lot in for not a whole lot of profit. Deadpool only cost like 50 million to make and got 780 million and someting at the box office.

For BvS
"In the end, the film grossed $873m at the Worldwide box office, of which WB will pocket $367m. (The rest going to the theaters that showed the film.) Additionally, they calculate that the film earned WB another $314m in Home Entertainment and Television Revenue.This brings the film a Total Revenue amount of $681m for the studio.

However, that's just half the story... there are the costs to subtract. The film carried a Production Cost of $250m, and another $157m was spent on Prints and Advertising. Add in the $46m in Video release costs, and another $122m in assorted Participation Fees to the actors, producers and directors who had a share of the profits, Interest and Overhead costs, and you get a Total Cost amount of $575m.

Deducting that total cost from the total revenue, we find that the film ultimately earned $105m for Warner Bros."

I know how it sounds, but also gotta think about how much money it costs to make the movie. They're putting a lot in for not a whole lot of profit. Deadpool only cost like 50 million to make and got 780 million and someting at the box office.

For BvS
"In the end, the film grossed $873m at the Worldwide box office, of which WB will pocket $367m. (The rest going to the theaters that showed the film.) Additionally, they calculate that the film earned WB another $314m in Home Entertainment and Television Revenue.This brings the film a Total Revenue amount of $681m for the studio.

However, that's just half the story... there are the costs to subtract. The film carried a Production Cost of $250m, and another $157m was spent on Prints and Advertising. Add in the $46m in Video release costs, and another $122m in assorted Participation Fees to the actors, producers and directors who had a share of the profits, Interest and Overhead costs, and you get a Total Cost amount of $575m.

Deducting that total cost from the total revenue, we find that the film ultimately earned $105m for Warner Bros."

Yeah, I understand there were a ton of costs involved.

Though it should be pointed out that a $105 million profit is nothing to turn your nose up at. That's 105 million fucking dollars that they didn't have before they made the movie. And it's also a hell of a lot better than taking a loss, which studios do on many movies every year.

Even though it didn't make WB as much money as they would've liked, it still made them a sizable amount of cash. At the end of the day, it was a successful film.

It's a matter of perspective and expectations. Yeah, $857 million worldwide is a lot of money. But for a movie that was headlined by Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, it should have grossed more. Five years ago, there was a consensus that a Batman Versus Superman movie or a Justice League movie would easily cross $1 billion and could even beat The Avengers $1.5 billion record.

Yeah, I understand there were a ton of costs involved.

Though it should be pointed out that a $105 million profit is nothing to turn your nose up at. That's 105 million fucking dollars that they didn't have before they made the movie. And it's also a hell of a lot better than taking a loss, which studios do on many movies every year.

Even though it didn't make WB as much money as they would've liked, it still made them a sizable amount of cash. And the end of the day, it was a successful film.
Yeah, I get what you're saying
You're not wrong, but it's like selling gold for the price of silver.
Justice League is worth a lot more than what it was "sold" for. Antman made almost as much profit as Batman vs. Superman. A studio should not be happy with that. Batman vs Superman should have been an easy slam dunk.

It's a matter of perspective and expectations. Yeah, $857 million worldwide is a lot of money. But for a movie that was headlined by Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, it should have grossed more. Five years ago, there was a consensus that a Batman Versus Superman movie or a Justice League movie would easily cross $1 billion and could even beat The Avengers $1.5 billion record.

Justice League is worth a lot more than what it was "sold" for. Antman made almost as much profit as Batman vs. Superman. A studio should not be happy with that. Batman vs Superman should have been an easy slam dunk.

Just imagine if WB had taken a loss on it. . .

Great analogy about Justice League and gold. BvS and Justice League should have been worth more than what they were sold for.

Just wanted to say the Ben looked a lot like Batman in this movie.

Great analogy about Justice League and gold. BvS and Justice League should have been worth more than what they were sold for.
It's a shame that WB didn't give what they had the proper attention and respect it deserved.
They really couldn't of messed this up more than they did.
Super hero EVERYTHING is IN, Marvel put up a perfect blueprint, the CGI/technology is there, Nolan had revived Batman from the Bat nipples days, big time actors are willing and wanting to do super hero movies, they have the rights to all of their characters....it's mind boggling how they were able to mess this up.
I'm a lot more familiar with the Marvel world, but I am more than open to seeing what DC has to offer.
2018 can't come soon enough--I need to jump on the Infinity War AV train.

So I just watched this load of shit on Fri. (Context: I'm neither a Marvel or DC fan, per say. My favorite superhero properties are the Watchmen comic, TDKR comic, TDK trilogy, and the Captain America movies)

1. Goddamn the first half was so boring. The pace was so fast that Batman's first meeting with Aquaman felt so rushed. And do people know that Atlantis exists and just don't care? Or does only Bruce Wayne know?
2. Everything looks so fake. The background, Henry Cavill's muscles, the slow mo, the costumes (except Wonder Woman and Aquaman), etc. It's probably due to the weird lighting, but people in my theater were joking that it looks like a Mortal Kombat cutscene.
3. Steppenwolf sucks. The parademons suck. Generic army with a CGI villain spouting bs about his mother.
4. Amazons' thought process: Gee, this Steppenwolf dude can jump a mile, so let's try to flee on our horses.
5. I'm fine with how Batman was shown to be weak compared to the rest of the JL, but he looked scared and so intimidating for most of the movie. Batman is Batman to spread fear, not be scared himself.
6. Superman/ JL fight was slo mo trash. And CGI Cavill is hilarious to look at, especially when he tries acting evil with a constipation face.

23915910_1378192022308362_7565074770968686330_n.jpg
(Cavill's one expression)
7. Who the fuck was that one family in Russia? Are they the only family that exists there?
8. So Supes easily beats the villain. Does that mean the rest of the league (sans Cyborg) are that useless compared to him?
9. Goddamn the Lois Lane scenes were slow
10. Some of the lines were LOL-worthy. Examples:
Lois: How was it? (coming back from death/ dying)
Clark: Itchy

Lois (randomly): You smell good.
Clark: Did I not before?

11. The Flash wasn't funny. He was just weird.
BvS: Most of the world doesn't trust Supes/ hates him
JL: Everyone loved Supes and misses him. Without him, we have crime... which we didn't have before... except we did.

Yeah, I sound like I'm being overly harsh, but it was just boring and generic. I felt similarly about Thor: Ragnorak, but at least that was fun to watch.

I give JL a 4/10.

Last edited:

so many arguments i have had over this people say flop, poor performance, when its in top ten percent of earning for comic book movies is a flop..

900 million isnt a failure or flop in any genre...

not to mention what they made off dvd sales, which i guarantee was a TON!!!!!!!!!!

given how poorly it started JL really seems to be able to make decent money, word of mouth has its drop off manageable and its been great overseas..

if it would have started better it may have matched bvs

so many arguments i have had over this people say flop, poor performance, when its in top ten percent of earning for comic book movies is a flop..

900 million isnt a failure or flop in any genre...

not to mention what they made off dvd sales, which i guarantee was a TON!!!!!!!!!!

the cost vs. profit was broken down on the previous page. making 900 million isn't much if you're nett profit is just over 100 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back