Eddie Bravo Invitational 14: The Absolutes

Dick

Gaethje BMF + LW Champ 2024
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody watching this? Great action and tons of subs. Main event is about to start shortly on Fight Pass.

I'm cheering for the underdog in the finals. Less than 90 seconds match time in 3 bouts at this level is insane.

I'm spewing I cant watch it, just catching the commentary from all my mates on facebook etc. Definitely cheering for Craig in the final.

Awesome event. I can't believe Jones didn't break Ryan's arm there.

I'm cheering for the underdog in the finals. Less than 90 seconds match time in 3 bouts at this level is insane.
If you don't know him, at ADCC this year he rear naked choked Leandro Lo in the opening match and then promptly flying triangled Murilo Santana.

Craig jones is a savage

I'm going to have to find some way to catch a replay or something later when i'm home.

24296495_10210820871865538_4145415926858447224_n.jpg

Ryan won via RNC in OT

Full Results Here:

Gordon Ryan vs Dan Borovic (Ryan wins by heel hook submission in Regulation)
Daniel O’Brien vs Patrick Donabedian (Donabedian wins by heel hook submission in Regulation)
Karan Darabedyan vs Casey Hellenberg (Hellenberg wins by triangle arm bar submission in Regulation)
Adam Sachnoff vs Jesseray Childrey (Childrey wins by kimura submission in Regulation)
Rustam Chsiev vs Andrew Kimler (Kimler wins with quickest escape in OT)
Aaron Johnson vs Matt Kirchwehm (Johnson wins with quickest escape in OT)
Travis Moore vs Marcel Goncalves (Goncalves wins by RNC submission in Regulation)
Craig Jones vs Andy Burke (Jones wins by heel hook submission in Regulation)

Quarterfinals:
Gordon Ryan vs Patrick Donabedian (Ryan wins by arm bar submission in Regulation)
Casey Hellenberg vs Jesseray Childrey (Hellenberg wins by arm bar submission in Regulation)
Andrew Kimler vs Aaron Johnson (Johnson wins by arm bar submission in Regulation)
Marcel Goncalves vs Craig Jones (Jones wins by heel hook submission in Regulation)

Semifinals:
Gordon Ryan vs Casey Hellenberg (Ryan wins by RNC submission in OT) Aaron Johnson vs Craig Jones (Jones wins by heel hook submission in Regulation)

Special Match:
Priscilla Herrera vs Laura Heiman (Herrera wins by injury stoppage)

Absolute Title Fight:
Gordon Ryan vs Craig Jones (Ryan wins by RNC submission in OT to win Absolute belt and $10,000)

Did Craig beat Ryan?
Gordon basically let his arm hyperextend to hitchiker out after 5-10 seconds of full extension and then tapped CRaig with a rear naked in the next OT round and won.

Craig was on fire. He got to the finals with a combined 90 seconds of mat time in his first 3 matches. His first match was 15 seconds. His next two matches were around 30 seconds, and 40 seconds, respectively.

EBI is my favorite

One of the instructors from my gym blew out her knee in this event. Lockdown. She said she felt no pressure then her kneecap just went.

One of the instructors from my gym blew out her knee in this event. Lockdown. She said she felt no pressure then her kneecap just went.
that was shitty. I saw that and felt bad for her. I really hate the lockdown. I don't even think it's a very effective guard and I think there's a lot of room for stupid injuries with it.

I don't think it should be banned or anything but people that use it tend to aggravate me.

EBI is my favorite
This one was fun because there was good opposition in Craig Jones on the other side of the bracket.

EBI is sort of a "who can stop the Danaher guys" but they're way more fun when there's someone on the other side that you think actually can. And last night I sort of believed Craig would win. I just had a gut feeling although I ended up being wrong.

This one was fun because there was good opposition in Craig Jones on the other side of the bracket.

EBI is sort of a "who can stop the Danaher guys" but they're way more fun when there's someone on the other side that you think actually can. And last night I sort of believed Craig would win. I just had a gut feeling although I ended up being wrong.

So many guys try to copy the Danaher system, including many other competitors last night, but you can tell there's something not quite right about it. Craig Jones is one of the very few who plays that game fluidly, and even seems to add to it (his knee shield, his lateral leg entries).

that was shitty. I saw that and felt bad for her. I really hate the lockdown. I don't even think it's a very effective guard and I think there's a lot of room for stupid injuries with it.

I don't think it should be banned or anything but people that use it tend to aggravate me.

Shitty defensive/stalling stuff, there's way too much good stuff you can do in half guard, so many sweeps, subs or guard switch you can do.

So many guys try to copy the Danaher system, including many other competitors last night, but you can tell there's something not quite right about it. Craig Jones is one of the very few who plays that game fluidly, and even seems to add to it (his knee shield, his lateral leg entries).
I would even say that Craig doesn't play the Danaher style. You might think that's a bit of a reach. I'm not sure. Or I at least think he doesn't outright try to emulate it.

The main commonality I see is that he plays a lot of 4-11 heel hooks. But I think his guard, his top game, and his general way of getting to the 4-11 are fairly unique. I've seen the Danaher guys (mostly Oliver Taza) use a lot of the entries that Jones uses, but I think Jones has his own flair and originality.

I would even say that Craig doesn't play the Danaher style. You might think that's a bit of a reach. I'm not sure. Or I at least think he doesn't outright try to emulate it.

The main commonality I see is that he plays a lot of 4-11 heel hooks. But I think his guard, his top game, and his general way of getting to the 4-11 are fairly unique. I've seen the Danaher guys (mostly Oliver Taza) use a lot of the entries that Jones uses, but I think Jones has his own flair and originality.

Any resources for the danaher system for dummies? For instance, when you say 4-11 heel hook I would probably recognize this position but have no idea what you're actually talking about

Back