Law Quebec Passed Sweeping Legislation to Enforce the use of French.

So from 1763 (when France gave up on New France n French were at the mercy of English) up until now French were able to preserve their language, but were suppose to believe that French language is in danger now?

Did they have language laws back then that I’m not aware of?

Also languages change overtime anyways. Like I said before the French ppl speak today is not the same as the one ppl spoke 200 years ago. Same with English or any other language. They naturally evolve with time.

Also it’s funny you mention “loss of identity”

You could argue that big part of Quebec (which ironically isn’t French) French indentity was the result of Catholic Church. Where is the Catholic Church now in Quebec in 2017?

But that is a fallacious argument.

Language protections laws from the Conquest onwards would have helped French in Québec.

The lack of protection laws now would be detrimental to French.

It's not a binary thing.

And Québec is not at all in the same situation now as it was before.

Aside from some wave of immigration from Ireland and Scottland, which assimitated into French Canadian society OR joined the English speaking side, Québec was rather homogenous until like the 70s. Now there is mass-immigration, the internet etc.

Language protections laws from the Conquest onwards would have helped French in Québec.

It's not a binary thing.

Aside from some wave of immigration from Ireland and Scottland, which assimitated into French Canadian society OR joined the English speaking side, Québec was rather homogenous until like the 70s. Now there is mass-immigration, the internet etc.

But the reality simply doesn’t support your claims

French didn’t disappear as a language in North American over 250 years period when English had the power.

Now you’re under the impression it will disappear cause of internet n immigration?

You think ppl will be force to speak English in small Quebec towns without language protection?

It’s just fearmongering

This post is a huge pile of steaming shit.

You don't need to look further than Western Europe to find languages that have died or are dying.

Look at all the Celtic languages in the Great Britain / Ireland / Bretagne. Less than 1 % of the people under 30 speak these languages as native speakers. Gaelic languages are dead, or almost dead.

Look at Basque in Southern France : dying.

Occitan in Southern France : dead or almost.

Corsican : dying pretty fast.

The reason these languages died is because the people speaking those languages didn't have the means to protect their languages, including loanwords, btw.

Oh and yes, absolutely, old English died due to the French influence.

You sound like the typical unilingual person from an unchallenged population who can't understand how people would want to protect their language.

And you sound like a typical emotional, uninformed person.

Where did I say languages don't die, dumb-dumb? Did you miss the part where I mentioned that bilingualism is unstable?

Read this again and try and actually understand the point this time: Loanwords (or anglicisms) don't kill languages. Replacement does. Basque is not dying because of loanwords. Nor is Corsican, Occitan, or the various indigenous languages of North America, Australia, Russia, etc. etc. It's a normal, healthy process for languages to import loans. Again, look at English. Massive change to the language after the Norman conquest and subsequent rule. Did it kill English? No, though it changed it. Basque in Spain, despite its heavy influence from Spanish with regards to vocabulary and even pronunciation, is still Basque. No amount of loans is going to make it Spanish. Now, can it die out entirely and be replaced by Spanish? Yes. Nowhere have I denied that. But the process whereby that happens is not going to be because of Spanish loanwords. It's going to be because of the social prestige of Spanish, economic opportunities, taking Basque out of the classroom, local culture losing interest, etc. Lots of reasons. None of them loanword "intrusion."

Only scared old men and butthurt ignoramuses (which are you?) freak out over loanwords.

And no, Old English "absolutely" didn't die, using any meaningful definition of the word, it evolved. Like every single language has evolved over time. Again, find me a single example of a language that imported so many loans from another language that the language ceased to be spoken because it was either absorbed or went extinct. Make sure you can support your argument by showing it was loans, and not the things I mentioned earlier -- like social prestige, economy, government intervention, lack of schooling, etc. -- that did it. You won't find a single one.

(Hint: I know more about this topic than you and I'm multilingual, so try again.)

Let's face it, French will survive well without Quebec and probably for the better,.

It's not a binary thing.

Let's clear up something: French will be fine and healthily. The horrible hillbilly accent you speak French with may dwindle. So let's not say "French this and French that".

Let's face it, French will survive well without Quebec and probably for the better,.

There are also quite a few cunts from the UK who say the same about American English.

But what's your angle, you have been spamming the same shit like 4 times ITT. We get it. Now STFU and move on.

Lol, why do you hate us so much ? Did your mother have to get an abortion after coming back from Québec or something ?

Where did I say languages don't die, dumb-dumb? Did you miss the part where I mentioned that bilingualism is unstable?

Read this again and try and actually understand the point this time: Loanwords (or anglicisms) don't kill languages. Replacement does. Basque is not dying because of loanwords. Nor is Corsican, Occitan, or the various indigenous languages of North America, Australia, Russia, etc. etc. It's a normal, healthy process for languages to import loans. Again, look at English. Massive change to the language after the Norman conquest and subsequent rule. Did it kill English? No, though it changed it. Basque in Spain, despite its heavy influence from Spanish with regards to vocabulary and even pronunciation, is still Basque. No amount of loans is going to make it Spanish. Now, can it die out entirely and be replaced by Spanish? Yes. Nowhere have I denied that. But the process whereby that happens is not going to be because of Spanish loanwords. It's going to be because of the social prestige of Spanish, economic opportunities, taking Basque out of the classroom, local culture losing interest, etc. Lots of reasons. None of them loanword "intrusion."

Only scared old men and butthurt ignoramuses (which are you?) freak out over loanwords.

And no, Old English "absolutely" didn't die, using any meaningful definition of the word, it evolved. Like every single language has evolved over time. Again, find me a single example of a language that imported so many loans from another language that the language ceased to be spoken because it was either absorbed or went extinct. Make sure you can support your argument by showing it was loans, and not the things I mentioned earlier -- like social prestige, economy, government intervention, lack of schooling, etc. -- that did it. You won't find a single one.

(Hint: I know more about this topic than you and I'm multilingual, so try again.)

That'sa reasonable post, to which I will respon when I have a little more time.

c2fb55c78441bca33563277152813aff.gif

There are also quite a few cunts from the UK who say the same about American English.

But what's your angle, you have been spamming the same shit like 4 times ITT. We get it. Now STFU and move on.

Lol, why do you hate us so much ? Did your mother have to get an abortion after coming back from Québec or something ?

Yea there are versions of American English that if gone would be for the best. They come from Louisiana and surrounding states.

That being said, you are using "French will this and that" and that is simply not true. It's the weird accent French you speak and only that weird accent.

Or am I mistaken? If your accent dissappear would it be a blow to the French language being spoke globally?

Yea there are versions of American English that if gone would be for the best. They come from Louisiana and surrounding states.

That being said, you are using "French will this and that" and that is simply not true. It's the weird accent French you speak and only that weird accent.

Or am I mistaken? If your accent dissappear would it be a blow to the French language being spoke globally?

You don't even speak French, lol, you are a mere unilingual English-speaker who is out of his element ITT.

Are you just butt-hurt because some waiter was rude to you because you spoke English once ? Or perhaps just a troll. Or I'll go with your mother getting fucked in Québec and your father finding out, because you look like you are really trying hard to make a point.

this is typically for French speaking people, happens in France all the time. upside is their language gets preserved somewhat, downside is that it's very forced

I strongly disagree, Quebec's obsession with translating everything is seen as something funny in France. The weirdest thing is when French Canadians just copy an English word and try to make it sound French. The vocabulary they built after the end of the French domination is full of calques and loan translations anyway. I still understand and fully support their will to keep their language.

This post is a huge pile of steaming shit.

You don't need to look further than Western Europe to find languages that have died or are dying.

Look at all the Celtic languages in the Great Britain / Ireland / Bretagne. Less than 1 % of the people under 30 speak these languages as native speakers. Gaelic languages are dead, or almost dead.

Look at Basque in Southern France : dying.

Occitan in Southern France : dead or almost.

Corsican : dying pretty fast.

The reason these languages died is because the people speaking those languages didn't have the means to protect their languages, including loanwords, btw.

Oh and yes, absolutely, old English died due to the French influence.

You sound like the typical unilingual person from an unchallenged population who can't understand how people would want to protect their language.

I kinda disagree about Basque and Breton, they are now getting much more taught to the kids than they have ever been in the last hundred years. Obviously, they'll never be even close to become the main langage of their homeland, but they are not threatened to disappear anymore.

Corsican is doing okay, but it's a roman language like French and Italian. It's far more easier to learn than a nightmare like Basque.

I strongly disagree, Quebec's obsession with translating everything is seen as something funny in France. The weirdest thing is when French Canadians just copy an English word and try to make it sound French. The vocabulary they built after the end of the French domination is full of calques and loan translations anyway. I still understand and fully support their will to keep their language.

I kinda disagree about Basque and Breton, they are now getting much more taught to the kids than they have ever been in the last hundred years. Obviously, they'll never be even close to become the main langage of their homeland, but they are not threatened to disappear anymore.

Corsican is doing okay, but it's a roman language like French and Italian. It's far more easier to learn than a nightmare like Basque.

Dude I don't know any young person from Bretagne who can speak more than a few sentences in Breton.

For Basque I don't have personal experiences but I assume that it is even worse.

For Corsican, I was there recently. Young Corsicans speak French together. I only heard older folks speak Corsican. This means that the language is dying. Unfortunately.

You don't even speak French, lol, you are a mere unilingual English-speaker who is out of his element ITT.

Are you just butt-hurt because some waiter was rude to you because you spoke English once ? Or perhaps just a troll. Or I'll go with your mother getting fucked in Québec and your father finding out, because you look like you are really trying hard to make a point.

i speak multiple languages. I can't write all fo them but i am fluent in two and can converse in the third.

Back do my original point:

French is not in danger. French is fine and will be fine. It is one minor insignificant accent of french that is in danger.

Do you disagree with this statement?

Last edited:
Dude I don't know any young person from Bretagne who can speak more than a few sentences in Breton.

For Basque I don't have personal experiences but I assume that it is even worse.

For Corsican, I was there recently. Young Corsicans speak French together. I only heard older folks speak Corsican. This means that the language is dying. Unfortunately.

I said kids and really meant that. They accelerated the opening of ikastolak and Diwan schools after 2000. People around 25 and over usually didn't have much opportunity to learn basque or breton (which are anyway too difficult to fully learned as an adult, unless you are a militant with an iron will).

I said kids and really meant that. They accelerated the opening of ikastolak and Diwan schools after 2000. People around 25 and over usually didn't have much opportunity to learn basque or breton (which are anyway too difficult to fully learned as an adult, unless you are a militant with an iron will).

Please allow me to be skeptical.

Are the people teaching it native speakers ? And even then, the kids learning it today are native speakers in French. I believe that as soon as the "lineage" of a language is broken, that language is dead or almost.

Are the people teaching it native speakers ? And even then, the kids learning it today are native speakers in French. I believe that as soon as the "lineage" of a language is broken, that language is dead or almost.

IIRC you are arguing that french would die. It won't, it's alive and thriving in multiple continents. The french you speak is insignificant in the french language. It would be like saying cousin marrying hillbilly english demise would "kill English". No, it won't.

That's a different point. I 100% agree that those languages were almost dead and doomed. I simply said that people started teaching them once again to some of the kids, something that had previously stopped for decades. Those kids will indeed still be first and foremost Native French speakers, it will be never be a situation where most people can jump between languages in their everyday lives, like it happens with the different Créoles in the French overseas islands.

IIRC you are arguing that french would die. It won't, it's alive and thriving in multiple continents. The french you speak is insignificant in the french language. It would be like saying cousin marrying hillbilly english demise would "kill English". No, it won't.

Please stop quoting.

You are a shitty little obvious troll.

Please stop quoting.

You are a shitty little obvious troll.

Do you not agree with my post?

"IIRC you are arguing that french would die. It won't, it's alive and thriving in multiple continents. The french you speak is insignificant in the french language. It would be like saying cousin marrying hillbilly english demise would "kill English". No, it won't."

Back