Law Quebec Passed Sweeping Legislation to Enforce the use of French.

I look forward to the day that enough immigration wipes out the Québécois culture.

Do you not agree with my post?

"IIRC you are arguing that french would die. It won't, it's alive and thriving in multiple continents. The french you speak is insignificant in the french language. It would be like saying cousin marrying hillbilly english demise would "kill English". No, it won't."

Really, you are repeatedly quoting me to copy / paste your own posts ?

It is like a 10 year-old trolling. Or like a little dog that keeps on barking.

I look forward to the day that enough immigration wipes out the Québécois culture.

@Bald1 you and I have had many conversations on Québec separatism.

The post above I am quoting, as well as all the shit I have had to read ITT sums up, I believe, the opinion and attitude of a sizable portion of North-Americans towards us, our language and our culture.

It is one of the reason why we tend to hate Americans (including Anglo-Canadians, who are really just Americans), and why we want to just be left alone.

It is also this type of ignorance and attitude that explains why Americans are hated all around the world.

The government is going to flood your province with enough arabs. The good thing is that you will still be speaking french with an accent, a Morocco/algeria/tunisia accent.

this is typically for French speaking people, happens in France all the time. upside is their language gets preserved somewhat, downside is that it's very forced

They are very insecure. One of the reasons English is so successful is how much it incorporates other cultures. Adapt or die and English is good at adapting. There did used to be some stuffy old English guys who wanted to clean up English hundreds of years ago. I think John Locke was one of them. Samuel Johnson. Johnson is fuckin hilarious. lol. Very witty. Some women asked why he left bad words out of the dictionary and he said ,"cuz you would look for them".

Johnson authored the first comprehensive dictionary of English, Dictionary of the English Language, which was first published in 1755. The scope and quality of this work was impressive, covering about 42,000 entries with over 114,000 supporting quotations. The scholarship of his work aside, Johnson was quite the character, and his personality and self-deprecating, dry sense of humor shine through his dictionary definitions.

Johnson further editorializes in his definition for oats: “a grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.” This was not a new joke, and had been used in two of Johnson’s sources Anatomy of Melancholy and Gardener’s Dictionary from the 17th and 18th centuries, respectively. He also pokes fun at the French in his definition for Monsieur: “A term of reproach for a Frenchman.”

He fuckin hated Americans too lol

Sam539__1253395710_4045.jpg

The post above I am quoting, as well as all the shit I have had to read ITT sums up, I believe, the opinion and attitude of a sizable portion of North-Americans towards us, our language and our culture.

It is one of the reason why we tend to hate Americans (including Anglo-Canadians, who are really just Americans), and why we want to just be left alone.

It is also this type of ignorance and attitude that explains why Americans are hated all around the world.

How about this: you guys keep your language and culture, and Quebec stops receiving equalization payments? I’d be cool with that.

How about this: you guys keep your language and culture, and Quebec stops receiving equalization payments? I’d be cool with that.

Yeah like Québec is the only province getting those. It s only like 2% of Québec s GDP btw.

What culture is this? What is so special about their culture other than the horrible French they speak?

What culture is this? What is so special about their culture other than the horrible French they speak?

Horrible French is very subjective. I am sure the British poo-poos our version of the English language.

Quebec French isn’t that terrible IMO. And this is coming from someone who was raised in France (French was my first language).

Oh and I learned how to speak and write in English in less than a year after moving to Australia.

The fact that an estimated 45% of English words were borrowed from French might have something to do with how easy it was for me to learn it.

Horrible French is very subjective. I am sure the British poo-poos our version of the English language.

Quebec French isn’t that terrible IMO. And this is coming from someone who was raised in France (French was my first language).
Fair enough, to say that this weird accent dwindling would somehow endanger French is imho nonsense.

Much victim. Such oppressed. Many whine.

Or am I mistaken? If your accent dissappear would it be a blow to the French language being spoke globally?
It will be a blow to the people of Quebec, at least in their minds. Personally I don't care for French and I think the obsession with it in Quebec is kind of silly but its not as if I don't get it at all. People like and want to preserve their culture and language is a central part of culture.

Yeah like Québec is the only province getting those. It s only like 2% of Québec s GDP btw.
Maybe not but I bet your the only province with a state sponsored language watchdog body and a contempt for the rest of Canadian culture as evidenced by your own post ITT

Want to be left alone eh? Top kek, then deny the equalization payments.

Lol bunch of cunts itt, except the couple of guys that actually get it.

Yes, the Quebec ‘language police’ does serve a purpose
Konrad Yakabuski | September 21, 2017

In 2013, Quebec's language-enforcement agency made a global fool of itself by attempting to crack down on a Montreal restaurant's failure to translate the names of well-known Italian food items on its menu into French. Thus was born Pastagate, which was so embarrassing that it forced the normally hardline (on language) Parti Québécois government of the moment to rein in the Office québécois de la langue française. The head of the OQLF even lost her job.

Since then, the agency charged with promoting French and applying the dispositions of the province's 40-year-old Charter of the French Language, otherwise known as Bill 101, has kept a low profile. The former PQ government freed it of the obligation of having to investigate every complaint it receives, allowing the agency to use its judgment and, hence, avoid future Pastagates to the best of its ability. This rankles some French purists who think the agency, often referred to derisively by anglophones as the Quebec language police, has been neutered.

The news this week that the OQLF will no longer "systematically" reject the use of widely accepted English terms – forcing businesses to use a French alternative proposed by the OQLF on signage, in advertisements or in the workplace – won't make it any new friends among those who think that opening the door even a crack to les anglicismes is inviting trouble. Purists argue it is the OQLF's job to counter the use of English terms in Quebec French, not countenance it.

Indeed, it was not that long ago that Quebec French was saturated with English terms simply because the local parlance contained no handy alternative. Francophone Quebeckers would trek to their local Canadian Tire to pick up des spark plug, des wiper or un block heater. Before the advent of official bilingualism federally and Bill 101 in Quebec, market forces were such that North American manufacturers and retailers had no incentive to come up with French names for their products.

The OQLF's work to come up with French terms was once described by one former head of the agency as "an enterprise of decolonization." That may be a bit overdramatic. But it did allow francophone Quebeckers, especially unilingual ones, to name their reality with words they actually understood.

It's easy for anglophones to have a blasé attitude toward the introduction of the odd French word into English. They might feel differently if they were confronted with French terms everywhere they turned, if they had to use French expressions to describe everyday occurrences in their lives, because no English ones existed.

But in a world where English is the lingua franca, that's not a problem anglophones generally face. English tends to get the naming rights to every new scientific discovery, invention or social trend. It's not because English is a particularly inventive language. It's just the globe's dominant one. But who knows? With China's rise, that may change.

The OQLF's move to adopt new criteria for determining whether it is acceptable to use a so-called anglicism is simply an acknowledgment of the fact that certain French alternatives will never take hold. Grilled cheese is so ubiquitous, and so universally understood, that it is senseless to force restaurants to replace it with sandwich au fromage fondant on their menus. Besides, that's precisely the kind of overkill that subjects the OQLF to ridicule.

It's much better for the OQLF to focus its scarce resources on creating French neologisms for the hundreds of English technical terms that are introduced every year, particularly in the high-technology sector. That is the OQLF's main 21st-century challenge.

Canada accounts for only 7.2 million of the world's 220 million francophones – though that latter figure includes so-called partial French-speakers, largely in Africa. The point is that, just as British and Canadian English differ in many ways (what we call a truck they call a lorry), Quebec French differs from the French spoken on other continents. The OQLF has been a leader in modernizing the French language and the French themselves have taken note.

"To remain alive, a language must be able to express the modern world in all its diversity and complexity. Each year, thousands of new notions and realities appear that must be understood and named," notes the mission statement of France's Commission d'enrichissement de la langue française, which was created in 1996 and modelled after the OQLF. "The creation of French terms to name today's realities is a necessity."

Vivre le français, libre.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...-police-does-serve-a-purpose/article36329861/

Last edited:
Quebec moves to protect French language and restrict use of English
Premier says ‘we are proud to be a francophone nation in North America’ but English-speaking critics threaten legal action
By Leyland Cecco in Toronto

5200.jpg

Quebec’s government has successfully passed sweeping French language protections that critics warn will reshape all aspects of public life.

Bill 96, which passed on Tuesday afternoon in the province’s national assembly, will require new immigrants and refugees to communicate with provincial officials exclusively in French six months after arriving or face a loss of services. The bill also limits the use of English in the legal system and caps enrolment at the province’s English-language schools.

The governing Coalition Avenir Québec received support from the leftwing Québec Solidaire to pass the bill 78 to 29. The provincial Liberals voted against the bill, saying it went too far. The separatist Parti Québécois said the legislation didn’t go far enough.

Celebrating the bill’s passage, the premier, François Legault, framed it as an attempt to strengthen protections for Quebec’s official language. The premier also dismissed fears that the law undermines the rights of linguistic minorities.

“I know of no linguistic minority that is better served in its own language than the English-speaking community in Quebec,” he said on Tuesday. “We are proud of that, and we are also proud to be a francophone nation in North America, and it’s our duty to protect our common language.”

Quebec’s previous attempts to protect the French language have made headlines in the past. In 2019, the province denied residency to a woman from France, arguing she couldn’t prove she could speak French. That year, the government proposed banning the popular greeting “Bonjour-hi”, only to quickly backtrack amid outrage and ridicule from residents. In November, the head of the country’s biggest airline was pilloried for admitting he had never learned French, despite living in Montreal for 14 years.

Legault said critics of the bill were adding “fuel to the fire” of “disinformation” that was spreading throughout the province before the vote.

“We are committed to protecting your access to healthcare in English. It is a historical promise that we will keep, and you will continue to have English-speaking hospitals, schools … and universities,” he said, dismissing fears that those seeking healthcare in English would face new barriers.

Thousands protested against the bill in recent weeks amid fears many public services would be curtailed.

“Bill 96 is the most significant derogation of human rights in the history of Quebec and Canada,” Marlene Jennings, head of the Quebec Community Groups Network, which promotes the rights of English-speakers in the province, said in a statement.

“This legislation revokes the right to access services in English for some 300,000 to 500,000 English-speaking Quebecers,” she said.

Julius Grey, a lawyer leading the fight against the bill, called its passage one of the “most gratuitous uses of power I’ve ever seen” in an interview with CTV News. Grey said he and other lawyers planned to mount a series of legal challenges, adding they would fight it all the way to the United Nations.

The bill has also faced criticism from Indigenous groups, who say it erodes Indigenous language rights.

Earlier this month, the Haudenosaunee Longhouse, the traditional Mohawk government in the community of Kahnawake, pledged to defy the law, saying in a statement the bill “will never apply” to its people on their ancestral lands.

On Tuesday, the Assembly of First Nations called Bill 96 “a major step backwards” that harmed reconciliation efforts.

By invoking a legislative mechanism known as the “notwithstanding clause” to make the law immune from constitutional challenges, the Quebec government has significantly lessened the chances the federal government will intervene.

Justin Trudeau, the prime minister, whose electoral district is in Quebec, has been wary in explicitly criticizing the legislation, only telling reporters he had “concerns” about the content of the bill.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/25/quebec-french-language-protection-law-english

Quebec legislature adopts Bill 96 language law despite bitter opposition

6VQCTCCQEBJYHBPEIC2MMDGTPQ.JPG

The Quebec government has secured the largest expansion of its language laws in more than 40 years, imposing new rules to reinforce the use of French in the public service, education and business despite bitter opposition from the province’s English-speaking minority.

With the passage of the controversial Bill 96 on Tuesday, Premier François Legault said he aims to strengthen the place of Quebec’s official language amidst what he calls its decline. Many anglophones, immigrants and Indigenous people in the province, meanwhile, say they feel targeted by a law that undermines their rights.

After a year of heated debate, the bill was adopted by a vote of 78 to 29, with support from the governing Coalition Avenir Québec and the leftist opposition party Québec Solidaire. Voting against were the provincial Liberals, on the grounds that the bill went too far, and the separatist Parti Québécois, which said it didn’t go far enough.

In defending the law, Mr. Legault cited the linguistic precariousness of French in a predominantly anglophone continent.

“I know of no linguistic minority that is better served in its own language than the English-speaking community in Quebec,” he said on Tuesday. “We are proud of that, and we are also proud to be a francophone nation in North America, and it’s our duty to protect our common language.”

The fight over the legislation has increased linguistic tension to a point not seen in decades, some observers say, and inspired fear and anger in the English-speaking community.

Among the new law’s provisions are a cap on enrolment in the English CEGEP system as well as three mandatory French classes for students who attend those colleges; a requirement for businesses with 25 or more employees to make French “generalized” in the workplace, down from 50; and a deadline of six months for new immigrants after which public services will be offered exclusively in French, with some exceptions.

The Office Québécois de la Langue Française, mandated with enforcing the province’s language laws, will also be given expanded powers of search and seizure when investigating complaints.

Despite legal concerns, the law will be shielded from certain constitutional challenges – based on the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms – because of the CAQ government’s invocation of the notwithstanding clause.

The passage of the law will also have implications for the rest of Canada, as Bill 96 claims to unilaterally amend the Canadian Constitution to assert that Quebeckers “form a nation” and that French is the “common language of the Quebec nation.” The province’s right to amend the Constitution this way, and the implications of its amendments, are contested by some legal scholars.

In Vancouver on Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau didn’t say whether his government would intervene against Bill 96 in court.

“The job of the federal government under my watch is to always be there to protect minorities across this country, particularly official languages minorities,” Mr. Trudeau told a news conference. “I was a French teacher here in B.C. I know how important it is to support francophone communities outside Quebec, but it’s also extremely important to make sure we’re protecting the anglophone communities inside Quebec.”

Opposition to the bill has flared up in recent weeks as its passage became imminent. Thousands rallied against it in the streets of Montreal on May 14, a protest attended by Quebec Liberal Party Leader Dominique Anglade.

“We have to stop dividing Quebeckers; we have to unite Quebeckers,” she said.

This spring also saw the creation of two new political parties devoted in part to opposing Bill 96, after months of ambiguity from the Liberals, the traditional party of Quebec anglophones. English speakers have been further stung in recent months by the provincial government’s cancellation of a planned expansion of Montreal’s Dawson College and Mr. Legault’s refusal to participate in an English-language debate during the upcoming provincial election campaign.

“The mood now in the English-speaking community is quite bleak,” said Joan Fraser, a former senator and Montreal Gazette editor who now sits on the board of the Quebec Community Groups Network, an anglo advocacy group. “It’s as if we cannot be considered Quebeckers, real Quebeckers. That may be overstating the case, but some aspects of this bill do encourage that kind of thinking.”

Other critics charge that the law could jeopardize access to essential services in languages other than French. Robert Leckey, dean of McGill’s faculty of law, said that forbidding judges from being required to speak another language, unless the relevant minister deems it necessary, may harm the fundamental right to interact with the justice system in either English or French.

It is also unclear whether the bill exempts health care from the general requirement for government agencies to use French when communicating with the public, said Prof. Leckey. Despite government assurances to the contrary, the result could be doctors or therapists being penalized for speaking with patients in another language, he believes.

“It says the civil administration shall use French,” Prof. Leckey said. “If you want to emphasize that there’s an exemption for health care, put it in the bill.”

The Legault government has insisted that claims about curtailed access to health services in English are false – the Premier recently called them “disinformation” – and it pointed to a provision in provincial health legislation that entitles English-speaking people to receive health services in English, in keeping with the resources of the institution providing them.

Christopher Skeete, a member of the National Assembly and the CAQ point person for relations with anglophones, said the bill’s critics were overstating its dangers because of an emotional response to a sensitive debate.

“What they’re bringing into their discussion is concern and fear and apprehension and that clouds their ability to see the law for what it is,” he said.

Bill 96 also faced tough criticism from Quebec nationalists intent on protecting French. The Parti Québécois, along with many sovereigntist commentators, wanted to see Bill 101, the Charter of the French Language, extended to CEGEPs, which would have barred francophones and allophones from attending English colleges. PQ Leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon said Bill 96 would not stop the decline of French in Quebec.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...e-adopts-bill-96-language-law-despite-bitter/

Law Requiring French in Quebec Becomes Stricter
Quebec’s new law limits access to government services in languages other than French, requires small businesses to operate in it and caps enrollment at English-language junior colleges.

merlin_185085402_cdd681a1-f9d0-4434-8688-0dad3b4aa46c-superJumbo.jpg

Quebec Premier François Legault during a news conference in Montreal

OTTAWA — Quebec’s legislature on Tuesday passed a law to reinforce the primacy of the French language, limiting access to public services in English and enhancing government powers to enforce compliance, despite objections from some of the province’s English speakers, Indigenous people and members of other linguistic minorities.

The provincial government says the law is needed to preserve the status of Quebec as the largest French-speaking enclave in the Americas, while critics call it an attempt to create a monoculture within a proudly multicultural country. The national government says that about 85 percent of Quebec’s more than 8 million people speak French as their primary language.

Expanding on existing language law, the legislation provides that immigrants to Canada who settle in Quebec will not be able to deal with the government in English or other languages more than six months after their arrival.

Most small and medium-size businesses will require government certification that they operate in French, as larger companies have for years. And the new law will raise the bar that a company must meet to justify requiring that new workers speak or read languages other than French.

Government language inspectors will have expanded powers to raid offices and search private computers and smartphones while investigating compliance with the law.

Enrollment at English-language junior colleges will be capped, while new French language course requirements will be introduced at those schools. At those colleges, students whose primary language is not English will also have to pass a French proficiency test to graduate.

While English speakers will still have the right to court hearings in their language, the new law changes how bilingual judges will be appointed, leading to concerns that they will dwindle in number over time.

There are also concerns, strongly rejected by the provincial government, that the law will limit the ability of doctors and other medical professionals to speak with some patients in any language other than French.

“This law is the most important reform for the status of the French language since the adoption of Bill 101 in 1977,” the law establishing French as the province’s official language, François Legault, the premier of Quebec, said in a statement posted on Facebook. “It is my responsibility as premier of the only government in North America representing a Francophone majority to ensure that French remains our only official language, our common language.”

To defend the law against potential legal challenges, Quebec’s government invoked a clause in Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms that exempts the legislation from compliance with Canada’s Constitution.

In recent weeks thousands of Quebecers from the province’s English-speaking, immigrant and Indigenous communities have protested the law.

Shortly before the province’s National Assembly in Quebec City passed the bill, Julius Grey, a prominent human rights lawyer in the province, called it “the most gratuitous use of power I’ve ever seen.”

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters in Vancouver, British Columbia, that the federal government will carefully review the law and its implementation but avoided questions about its involvement in any legal challenges.

“We continue to look very carefully at what the final form of this will take and we will base our decision on what we see as the need to keep minorities protected across the country,” Mr. Trudeau said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/24/world/canada/quebec-language-bill-96.html

Back