Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Honestly, I just like seeing new fighters. I remember the sloppy, technique free new fighters on old cards, but seeing the crisp moves they have nowadays makes me happy. This recent season of TUF made me sad in one way in that an OG like Roxy couldn't get the belt, but happy to see newcomers with such talent.

Same here. Appreciate when younger ones respect the trailblazers. Nicco certainly does. Navajo culture is built around respect for elders. Her skills look sharp and Valentina acknowledged her as well, said it wouldn't be an easy fight. Aga from Invicta is only 22. Watched some of her fights & was blown away by how fast she can take someone down. Anderson, De La Rosa & Rose are all young & sharp. Maybe we're starting to see the first generation of hybrid mma fighters, strong in most every area.

I'd like to see Haga & Montenegro go at it again. :)
I only just noticed they did it again at EBI.

Same here. Appreciate when younger ones respect the trailblazers. Nicco certainly does. Navajo culture is built around respect for elders. Her skills look sharp and Valentina acknowledged her as well, said it wouldn't be an easy fight. Aga from Invicta is only 22. Watched some of her fights & was blown away by how fast she can take someone down. Anderson, De La Rosa & Rose are all young & sharp. Maybe we're starting to see the first generation of hybrid mma fighters, strong in most every area.
125 is pretty loaded with young fighters with great potential.

Mackenzie Dern (24), Ariane Lipski (23), Sabina Mazo (20), Montana De La Rosa (22) and of course Kuma (22) are all young AF. Hell, Ducote looked really outclassed against MacFarlane but she's only 23 herself. This isn't even taking into account the possibility of somewhat larger strawweight youngsters like Rose (25), Suarez (26), or Grasso (24) moving up either.

So the 125 rankings are out, and they don't look fair to me

e9d7090dc0ab24059fee9f118c80b1f3.png

Murphy won by a controversial split decision, not sure how that performance can rank her over Mara Romero Borella who dominated Kalindra Faria, and just like i did, they forgot to add JoJo. Jessy Jess should be better ranked aswell.

And Smith managed to dominate Aldana in a stand-up FOTN battle.

Never been sold on Aldana. She had some decent scraps in Invicta, but is more of a gym fighter than someone who truly shows up to fight. Smith did not dominate her with superior technique, but superior aggression and experience. Really, both Aldana and Grasso need to either get serious or GTFO of the UFC. Here they are facing opponents - most of whom have at least reasonable skills - but all have the desire to actually show up and fight. I do not see this from either of the two. Again, too bad as I like them well enough, and they have pretty good fundamentals.

So the 125 rankings are out, and they don't look fair to me

e9d7090dc0ab24059fee9f118c80b1f3.png

Murphy won by a controversial split decision, not sure how that performance can rank her over Mara Romero Borella who dominated Kalindra Faria, and just like i did, they forgot to add JoJo. Jessy Jess should be better ranked aswell.
Yeah, I'd imagine about half of those currently ranked will be short-timers.

Davis-Carmouche is this weekend, and unless one of them absolutely embarrasses themselves out there they'd likely both find themselves ranked in the next iteration.

Seems like Nadia Kassem will go up to 125.

Yeah, I'd imagine about half of those currently ranked will be short-timers.

Davis-Carmouche is this weekend, and unless one of them absolutely embarrasses themselves out there they'd likely both find themselves ranked in the next iteration.
Yeah, i hope Davis wins since i think she's a bad match up for Valentina and i can't wait until Valentina loses, people are diminishing all other women because of a supposed future domination by her, when in fact she never faced elite grapplers of Davis, Sara, Vieira etc level

Hopefully she has continued to improve. Everyone always referred to her as a striker, but I was never really happy with that label being applied to her. Even by WMMA standards. She seems nice enough, but really needs to focus on her damn fundamentals. (seems a common issue, which baffles me. I seem to recall being in grade school and a coach telling me "Your stupid little ass will never get too good at the basics."
You might be one of the smartest WMMa commentators I've ever met. Sarah relied on toughness and grittiness combined with extremely simple striking mechanics to get by..

That as a whole is great read on her, and it's why at the high level of wmma, she's been passed by.

I thought the Honchak-Murphy fight was close and could have went either way, didn't really think it was controversial to be honest. Pretty sure JoJo isn't ranked because she hasn't fought yet, same for PVZ and Eye. Jessy Jess and MRB should be ranked higher. I'm sure the winner of Davis-Carmouche will break top five easily.

I thought the Honchak-Murphy fight was close and could have went either way, didn't really think it was controversial to be honest. Pretty sure JoJo isn't ranked because she hasn't fought yet, same for PVZ and Eye. Jessy Jess and MRB should be ranked higher. I'm sure the winner of Davis-Carmouche will break top five easily.
but she had that fight with Val~, it was at 125, i thought the same at the first moment

and yeah i think both will break top 5, win or lose

Cristina Stanciu (5-2-0) makes her MMA return following her UFC release at the LFN 7 event on December 15th, 2017 against Magdalena Sormova (4-1-0). Excited to see how she looks, heard she had been training in Germany for quite some time.

You might be one of the smartest WMMa commentators I've ever met. Sarah relied on toughness and grittiness combined with extremely simple striking mechanics to get by..

That as a whole is great read on her, and it's why at the high level of wmma, she's been passed by.

Well, it should be fairly obvious that in WMMA, their grappling is generally far superior to their striking. This is why the few women with good striking stand out so well. Honestly, in women's boxing many of the women do not have "great striking." For what it is worth, many of the men held to have good boxing (such as the Diaz bros.) do not. Using them as an example, they have a nice, snappy 1-2, insane volume and striking output, shitty head movement and striking defense in general, etc.

I really, really wish more fighters would just straight up train in a damn boxing gym for a while.

Never been sold on Aldana. She had some decent scraps in Invicta, but is more of a gym fighter than someone who truly shows up to fight. Smith did not dominate her with superior technique, but superior aggression and experience. Really, both Aldana and Grasso need to either get serious or GTFO of the UFC. Here they are facing opponents - most of whom have at least reasonable skills - but all have the desire to actually show up and fight. I do not see this from either of the two. Again, too bad as I like them well enough, and they have pretty good fundamentals.
i was never as high on aldana as some , but im seriously baffled by grasso since she changed up her training, her boxing has turned to shit, maybe she should rethink her training camp , but something radical needs to change.

My anger at that was offset by the lols at Cyborg losing to Joanna and the butthurt it caused

Well Joanna's resume is way more impressive than Cyborgs.. outside of Megumi's, she probably has the second best one.

Plus one is proven drug cheat, one is not.

i was never as high on aldana as some , but im seriously baffled by grasso since she changed up her training, her boxing has turned to shit, maybe she should rethink her training camp , but something radical needs to change.
Aldana was always the girl who lost to Larissa Pacheco. I had moderately high hopes for just cause she is big and athletic, and women's BW sometimes that is enough.

She should beat Bernardo handily though.
Well, it should be fairly obvious that in WMMA, their grappling is generally far superior to their striking. This is why the few women with good striking stand out so well. Honestly, in women's boxing many of the women do not have "great striking." For what it is worth, many of the men held to have good boxing (such as the Diaz bros.) do not. Using them as an example, they have a nice, snappy 1-2, insane volume and striking output, shitty head movement and striking defense in general, etc.

I really, really wish more fighters would just straight up train in a damn boxing gym for a while.
Heather Hardy is a great example of a Female boxer who isn't a great striker. She's just really durable and won't go away.

I wonder if it's a regional thing for some! There isn't a lot of good striking to be found up here in Boston.

Heather Hardy is a great example of a Female boxer who isn't a great striker. She's just really durable and won't go away.

I wonder if it's a regional thing for some! There isn't a lot of good striking to be found up here in Boston.

Strange, as some really good boxers used to come from there. But agree on Hardy. Because you can wade through punches without slipping or moving your damn head at all does not mean that you can get away with that shit when, say, someone round kicks you. (example not chosen at random)

Well Joanna's resume is way more impressive than Cyborgs.. outside of Megumi's, she probably has the second best one.

Plus one is proven drug cheat, one is not.

Imagine giving credit to a FW for a title she beat a BW for

Imagine giving credit to a FW for a title she beat a BW for

Wish I could respond. That is one of several Cyborg/broke-dick accounts that have blocked me. I have no idea why.

Ok, perhaps some idea.

:)

My anger at that was offset by the lols at Cyborg losing to Joanna and the butthurt it caused

If considering "most historically important" I'd give it to Cyborg.

Though most people won't read past "Who do YOU consider the better P4P fighter?"
Then I'd question Cyborg's record. It is a pretty thin division. I don't know how many of her opponents were real featherweights.

The Carano fight was massive, historically speaking. But I recall there being some pretty ropey technique.
Carano seemed to gas early IMO. Admittedly being hit by Cyborg would sap anyone's stamina.
We haven't seen many people make Cyborg back up as Gina did. She also inexplicably allowed Cyborg back up when she had her on the ground.

I wonder how many who voted have even seen that fight.

I'm interested now. Has any MMA fight had a bigger TV audience? I say that because the biggest UFC fights would be mostly PPVs.

Back