I'm not sure GSP should really get credit as a 2 division champion

If Bispings not that good, rockhold must suck, weidman must be trash, which makes Anderson super trash, which makes....

Oh ya, thats not how MMA works....

It's real simple he beat the mw champ so he has won belts in 2 weigh classes not real hard to comprehend.

In my eyes:

WW champ
And
MW interim champ. The Whittaker belt was the real belt to any fan with a clue.

If this sport ever grows though the history books will view him as a 2 division champ though and it will just be the handful of us hardcores that realize it was a sham and will come across as bitter angry old men when we try to explain it to new fans and casuals.

Edit: I am a GSP fan and held his legacy to a higher standard before the Bisping fight than I do after it (even though it was an impressive return from a long layoff). But legacy doesn't pay the bills... Just wish he was honest about why he took the fight

If Bispings not that good, rockhold must suck, weidman must be trash, which makes Anderson super trash, which makes....

Oh ya, thats not how MMA works....

A 45 year old, retiring, multi year losing streak, THIRTEENTH ranked Dan Henderson beat the ever loving brakes off Bisping and dropped a controversial decision.

Georges then chokes him out.

Shortly thereafter, Kelvin - a chubby but dangerous welterweight, summarily puts him to sleep in the first round.

We all know what Michael Bisping is, and its not the best middleweight on earth, in any point in time. He was never the best of his peers, he tripped and fell into a title shot on short notice and pulled off a big stunt.

It's like saying Serra is better than Georges. He's not and never was, but these things happen.

A win over Bisping isn't as meaningful as a win over Romero, Whittaker, Jacare or even Rockhold and Weidman.

What do their paths have to do with anything I said?

GSP's path to the MW belt was beating Michael Bisping, a historic gatekeeper who was probably in the vicinity of the 7th or 8th best fighter in the division at the time of the fight.

That's not a hard path to a belt by any reasonable metric. It isn't "hating" to point that out.

Conor or BJ Penn have nothing to do with anything I said (although Penn beat the best fighter in his division at the time, and Conor beat someone in the top cluster of the division).

oh cool, so your argument lies in your subjective criteria. carry on then lol. bisping beat the mw champ for his belt. he is/was considering the best in the division at the time.

Compared to Conor who beat verified GOATS to get his?

Aldo is a goat at fw. Alvarez was a good win over a top lw.

At the end of the day they are both two division champs who didn't actually defend their belts. Oh wait gsp defended one of his a lot. Gsp > conor

So I'm not really sure McGregor should be considered a 2 weight world champion. He was gifted a LW title fight and then was stripped of the FW title right after he won the LW title. As much as people like me hate McGregor and how things went down, it's the same shit and we have to agree that he is a 2 weight class champion, just like GSP now is.

But he never defended the LHW belt.

Only technically. I don't count vitor as champ for that dumb ass fight. The second fight was the real fight and was Randy's real defense.

Last edited:
oh cool, so your argument lies in your subjective criteria. carry on then lol. bisping beat the mw champ for his belt. he is/was considering the best in the division at the time.

No he wasn't.

Like I said, you have to break the connection between "champion" and "best fighter". Lots of times those two correlate with one another, but not always.

That's why Matt Serra was an underdog to GSP in their second fight despite beating him directly AND being the champion.

Bisping was the rightful champion (and deserves respect for what he did accomplish). But he was *very* clearly not the best fighter in the division.

Nothing against him, but he beat a past prime bisping. Who wasn't even a top 5 fighter. On some level we have to take off the rose coloured glasses and see that win for what It was.

It was a good win and a good performance having been off for 4 years but It certainly shouldn't have been a championship fight.

We all know Bisping was the equivalent of Matt serra when It comes to credibility as a champion.

That said, no hate on him for not staying at middleweight. No reason for him to fight the killers of that divisionn at this stage of his career,

I agree with everything you said. However that doesn't change the fact that he won belts in two divisions.

Some years Superbowl champs are much better than other years Superbowl champs. But they're still all Superbowl champs. Same with Olympic gold medalists - some years are better than others for various sports (for instance in track you'll find some gold medalists ran slower times than previous gold medalists), but a gold medal is still a gold medal.

It's like saying Serra is better than Georges. He's not and never was, but these things happen.

Actually on that one night Serra was better than GSP - in sport winning means better. Its what differentiates sport from say art competitions. Even GSP will admit that. Its just that one night was an anomaly.

Honest fans won't recognize Conor or GSP as two division champions.

They just got coddled with perfect match ups to jump the line for.

Is that like not recognizing the Giants as the winners of Superbowl LXII because clearly the undefeated Pats showed they were the better team all year?

Is that like not recognizing the Giants as the winners of Superbowl LXII because clearly the undefeated Pats showed they were the better team all year?

Not at all. You don't defend championships in the NFL.

I agree with everything you said. However that doesn't change the fact that he won belts in two divisions.

Some years Superbowl champs are much better than other years Superbowl champs. But they're still all Superbowl champs. Same with Olympic gold medalists - some years are better than others for various sports (for instance in track you'll find some gold medalists ran slower times than previous gold medalists), but a gold medal is still a gold medal.
yeah I feel ya. I acknowledge I should've chosen a better thread title because technically he is a 2 division champ.

I stand behind everything else I said In the thread though.

So I'm not really sure McGregor should be considered a 2 weight world champion. He was gifted a LW title fight and then was stripped of the FW title right after he won the LW title. As much as people like me hate McGregor and how things went down, it's the same shit and we have to agree that he is a 2 weight class champion, just like GSP now is.
No It is really not. He was goin to fight RDA, then ended up fighting Alvarez. Both of them as fighters and champions are far more legitimate than bisping was.
A 45 year old, retiring, multi year losing streak, THIRTEENTH ranked Dan Henderson beat the ever loving brakes off Bisping and dropped a controversial decision.

Georges then chokes him out.

Shortly thereafter, Kelvin - a chubby but dangerous welterweight, summarily puts him to sleep in the first round.

We all know what Michael Bisping is, and its not the best middleweight on earth, in any point in time. He was never the best of his peers, he tripped and fell into a title shot on short notice and pulled off a big stunt.

A win over Bisping isn't as meaningful as a win over Romero, Whittaker, Jacare or even Rockhold and Weidman.
yup this

If GSP isn't a two-division champ and Bisping wasn't a 1-division champ, then what does that say about Luke Rockhold?

Back