I just cant get behind the Ngannou hype...

Epicness

Rent-paying tenant cat
@Black
Reaction score
Yes, his KO of Overeem was spectacular. Yes, he is built like a brick shithouse and on a nice win streak. But context

- Overeem has a glass chin. Everyone and their mother expected him to get KOd
- Same with Arlovski
- Cant even name another guy hes beaten. Blaydes..?

Maybe i just havent seen enough of him, or heavyweight has just become so uninteresting, but im just not that excited about the dude. He just seems like a one dimensional brawler to me that is going to get exposed when he fights someone who can take his shots and dish it back. Reminds me of Brett Rogers from Strikeforce (inb4 “racist” or Woodley gifs) before Fedor murked him

vic1z.jpg

To be fair you can critique just about any fighter if you try, for example Stipe:

-beat past their prime old fighters
-lost to Struve
-Bad striking defense with little to no head movement

Ngganou can also be critiqued but still, hes 6-0 in the ufc, all finishes, and hasn't been in any trouble and has been destroying people. I hope he destroys Stipe as well. I became a huge fan of Ngannou after I watched him in his fight with Blaydes and knew he'd be special.

In fairness to the Curtis Blaydes win, Curtis is 8-1 with 7 KO's, his only loss is Ngannou.

Yes, his KO of Overeem was spectacular. Yes, he is built like a brick shithouse and on a nice win streak. But context

- Same with Arlovski

Maybe i just havent seen enough of him, or heavyweight has just become so uninteresting, but im just not that excited about the dude. He just seems like a one dimensional brawler to me that is going to get exposed when he fights someone who can take his shots and dish it back. Reminds me of Brett Rogers from Strikeforce (inb4 “racist” or Woodley gifs) before Fedor murked him
You're not alone.

He seems like a cool dude but there's to many unknowns.

How's his cardio when pushed?
Does he fold when it hits the ground?
Is he the new Black beast?

- Same with Arlovski

People keep saying Ngannou is 1 dimensional but I'm not sure this is the case. Stipe has 1 submission in his entire career. You brought up Brett Rogers, in his 27 fight career he had 1 submission win. Ngannou, in only 12 fights already has 4 submission wins, arm bar, arm triangle, kimura, and one tap to leg strikes. I think people are going to be shocked when they figure out Ngannou is more than just a heavy punch. Ngannou has more submission wins than Stipe and Rogers combined.

Sherdog - "UFC can't create stars"

UFC creates a star

Sherdog - "I can't get behind the hype"

Last edited:
To be fair you can critique just about any fighter, for example Stipe:

-beat past their prime old fighters
-lost to Struve
-Bad striking defense with little to no head movement

Ngganou can also be critiqued but still, hes 6-0 in the ufc, all finishes, and hasn't been in any trouble and has been destroying people. I hope he destroys Stipe as well. I became a huge fan of Ngannou after I watched him in his fight with Blaydes and new he'd be special.

Eh i dont necessarily agree with some of the points about Stipe, Overeem and Werdum have/had been looking great before and after Stipe beat them. Hunt is always a game opponent, and Stipe’s first fight with JDS was super close and he fought back from major adversity.

Maybe its just that ive seen alot more from Stipe than your typical 1 round HW fight that ends in a KO.

A fight i would have really enjoyed seeing before he got a title shot is Volkov/Ngannou

Sherdog - "UFC can't create stars"

UFC creates a star

Sherdog - "I can't behind the hype"

In what parallel-universe is Ngannou a star?

He's on the right road, but not quite there yet, imo.

Reminds me of Brett Rogers on his way to fight Fedor.

Just admit your racist TS

Your dad in the KKK confirmed

In what parallel-universe is Ngannou a star?

He's on the right road, but not quite there yet, imo.

He's a star as far as the UFC is concerned

I suspect we're gonna start playing this game of discrediting his wins.
First he hasn't beaten anyone
Then he hasn't beaten a rassler
Then he hasn't beaten someone that can take a punch and so on...

I predict deez tingz

Reminds me of Brett Rogers on his way to fight Fedor.
I think he's better than Rogers, but he's not that far off. His skill set is very limited. Specifically his grappling.

People keep saying Ngannou is 1 dimensional but I'm not sure this is the case. Stipe has 1 submission in his entire career. You brought up Brett Rogers, in his 27 fight career he had 1 submission win. Ngannou, in only 12 fights already has 4 submission wins, arm bar, arm triangle, kimura, and one tap to leg strikes. I think people are going to be shocked when they figure out Ngannou is more than just a heavy punch. Ngannou has more submission wins than Stipe and Rogers combined.
Sucks he hasn't had time to show his all round skill but that is what is so intriguing, a decent ground game could make him very, very hard to beat. Can't wait for this fight. I prey to the JBG they get there healthy.

- Same with Arlovski

But this is Sherdog! If you get a W, then you're future GOAT. If you get an L, then you are a can and all of your past success is a wash

I wanna hop on board, but need to see how he handles later rounds and being on his back before I'm sold. Definitely has the ability to ktfo damn near anyone, but need to see him handle some adversity.

He's a star as far as the UFC is concerned

If Ngannou beats Stipe you are going to see him become a HUGE star. He's HW, he hits hard as shit, he's likeable with a great backstory. He is going to be a huge star if he wins his next fight. Get ready for it.

Back