Al Franken probably will have to resign...

There seemed to be a pattern here and I thought it would be best for him to go. But the Democratic Party seems to think well if we clean our house then the GOP will do the same. That isn’t going to happen. It doesn’t matter if Roy Moore showed up on to catch a predator, they’ll still support and vote for him.

I agree that it's not likely to happen (for a while at least). They should still be better because decency is not about getting rewarded.

Maher has been touching on this for a while. The Dems refusal to play a little dirty(pubic image wise at least) is killing them. Take the perceived moral high ground all you want. Who is in control of the country?

They're like the extremely religious person always trying to follow the rules to an absurd degree, and then pondering why God keeps punishing them. One day they're gonna snap Ned Flanders style. It might just happen when they realize all this posturing didn't do shit to Roy Moore, and when all the dust settles, the Reps just end up gaining another seat.
I agree with this but I haven't followed The Simpsons in years.... what happened to Flanders lol

That's what it comes down to. If people really want to make a change here, they have to come down harder on their own, and that's what liberals are doing. The contrast now couldn't be clearer. Most Republican voters care so little about morality that they'll vote for a serial groper for president and a child molester for the Senate, while liberals won't tolerate more minor groping.
What I don't like, but what I will accept, is that the consequence here is not a reflection of values, but political maneuvering. It's a legitimate and smart move, but it's not just. Another way of looking at it is that the immorality of republicans has caused the democrats to remove a good senator from office. And they consider this a victory, because they don't have to give up their senator, who is much worse. They have won this round of moral chicken. So, congratulations, I guess.

I can tell in this thread who does not have kids, much less a daughter.

Roy Moore is not a hill worth dying on, but that is hive mind of a majority of conservatives. Don't back down even if the guy you are dying on the hill for, got banned from a mall, got frisky with a 14 year old, known around town as liking them young, and called chicks at their High School when he was in his 30's.
Sounds like a dude that needed his ass beat in his 30's not a fucking Senator of the United States.
Alabama gonna Alabama.

As a father. I would NEVER let my child pose for photos with Joe Biden either

LOL any other day you're whining about the hypocritical behavior of the Democrats but when it is apparent they stand by their principles, they're naive ideologues who are out of place in the political game.

They can be both. They can also be perceived as insincere, which Nanci Pelosi kind of proved, when she defended Conyers one day, and then changed her mind the next day, when the backlash hit. The Dems and Liberals in general have a problem with appearing to be phony.

At the end of the day, regardless of the semantics, like you even said, they've backed themselves into a corner. They jumped on too many virtue signaling bandwagons, and now it's all coming back on them.

I think people are paying enough attention that this will benefit them in the mid-terms, if not beyond.

If you actually believe people give a shit about any of this, sure. I'll tell you right now though, nobody is going to change their mind and vote Democrat because Al Franken stepped down. They're not going to virtue signal themselves into power.

Great, we have a new partisan dick in the WR who enjoys slinging personal attacks while ignoring the points others made.

As if we didn't have enough of those.
He won't last long.

What I don't like, but what I will accept, is that the consequence here is not a reflection of values, but political maneuvering. It's a legitimate and smart move, but it's not just. Another way of looking at it is that the immorality of republicans has caused the democrats to remove a good senator from office. And they consider this a victory, because they don't have to give up their senator, who is much worse. They have won this round of moral chicken. So, congratulations, I guess.

I think it is about values, though I get your point, too. In a sense, Franken is being made an example of, but the purpose of that is to make a clear statement about the kind of behavior at least liberals will not tolerate.

It's like the ACA battle. It was a big, complicated bill that was easily demonized and had some unpopular elements, and a lot of Democrats were against it initially. But the argument that won out, was, "what's the point of being in politics if your only goal is re-election?" You want to get your people in office so that they can pass laws that make positive change in the country, and if doing so hurts your chance of winning, that's an acceptable price to pay. And that applies here, too. Better to move the ball forward at some political cost than just try to win elections and spin your wheels.

I agree with this but I haven't followed The Simpsons in years.... what happened to Flanders lol

You never saw the hurricane episode, where Ned snaps and ends up in a mental hospital? It's a classic episode.

They can be both. They can also be perceived as insincere, which Nanci Pelosi kind of proved, when she defended Conyers one day, and then changed her mind the next day, when the backlash hit. The Dems and Liberals in general have a problem with appearing to be phony.

At the end of the day, regardless of the semantics, like you even said, they've backed themselves into a corner. They jumped on too many virtue signaling bandwagons, and now it's all coming back on them.

If you actually believe people give a shit about any of this, sure. I'll tell you right now though, nobody is going to change their mind and vote Democrat because Al Franken stepped down. They're not going to virtue signal themselves into power.
One man's virtue signalling is another man's virtue.

"X has a problem with appearing to be phony" is how amoral partisans describe having principles.

Don't we all wish the GOP "had a problem appearing to be phony" about deficits, healthcare costs, war, etc.?

One man's virtue signalling is another man's virtue.

Beat me to the same point. And more succinctly put.

That's like Season 8, bruh.

love-swear-ned.gif

Hurricane Neddy

ad46225cc854759c1616046209b9288b.gif

It is so beautiful to me that Franken is being virtually forced to resign while Moore will win and Trump ain't going nowhere. Just wonderful

Hahaha he's not getting anything in exchange for it.

Look, I am a total rightie but if I was Al Franken I would have given all these democrat wench's calling for him to resign the proverbial finger and said "If you want me out you are going to have to get the capital security to drag me out. We got bigger fish to fry on the horizon. I'm not going anywhere"

botched apology. admitted no wrong doing. cnn and others are quick to point that out. really bad way to go. I didnt do anything but I am leaving anyway.

Franken's speech was defined primarily by his lack of any real apology and the clear bitterness he carries for being pushed out amid allegations that he had groped several women and forcibly tried to kiss others.

"Over the last few weeks, a number of women have come forward to talk about how they felt my actions had affected them. I was shocked. I was upset. But in responding to their claim, I also wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation. Because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously. I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that in fact I haven't done. Some of the allegations against me are simply not true. Others I remember very differently."

That's a remarkable statement. Franken is simultaneously saying that he believes the women who have accused him have a right to be heard while also making very clear that he is not admitting he had done the things they alleged.
He went on to note that "I know in my heart that nothing I have done as a senator, nothing has brought dishonor on this institution," adding: "I am confident that the ethics committee would agree."
And, just in case there was any question that Franken believed he was being unfairly railroaded, the senator's turn to Donald Trump and Roy Moore cleared all that up.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politics/al-franken-resigns-analysis/index.html

Race also played a role in this I think. Pressure about Conyers having to go but not Franken when the cases are clearly not the same thing.

If John Conyers can be brought down then so can fuckin Al Franken. Blood for blood. lol.

It's crazy looking through this thread and seeing how many people look at *everything* through the lens of politics. These guys can't even imagine anyone just doing the right thing because it's the right thing. If I ever got so jaded, I'd probably just stop following politics altogether.

But no kneeling at football games, some people don't want politics injected into it.

[
There seemed to be a pattern here and I thought it would be best for him to go. But the Democratic Party seems to think well if we clean our house then the GOP will do the same. That isn’t going to happen. It doesn’t matter if Roy Moore showed up on to catch a predator, they’ll still support and vote for him.
I find it funny, the party that does not promote itself as The Christian Values party told a scumbag to get lost. The Christian Values party call Statutory Roys accusers lying whores.
I know WWJD, and he would not be supporting Statutory Roy. Cafeteria Christians are going to ruin the GOP.
Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.
Barry Goldwater

It is so beautiful to me that Franken is being virtually forced to resign while Moore will win and Trump ain't going nowhere. Just wonderful

Hahaha he's not getting anything in exchange for it.

I'm very happy to be on the other side of people like this.

Race also played a role in this I think. Pressure about Conyers having to go but not Franken when the cases are clearly not the same thing.

If John Conyers can be brought down then so can fuckin Al Franken. Blood for blood. lol.

Yeah, Conyers was a slam dunk. No argument that he should be gone.

Back