I just cant get behind the Ngannou hype...

Exactly! At every stage of his career, Jon was supposed to get beat by someone with way more experience in a particular department. People waited years for his demise...oddly enough that demise came from something outside of the cage. People waited though.

Yea its a weird thing that you don't get with most fighters. If someone says, does Jones have a good guard? We all have a question mark for that. Who knows, we may never know. Ngannou may be similar, he may just knock guys out and rarely if ever be on his back for long.

Not really buying the hype yet.. This is his first big win.. HW is so devoid of talent even at the very top.. that's why the likes of Werdum/Overeem are still at the top.. Lesnar could come back and probably be in the top 5.. that's how bad HW is. I mean if he gets by Stipe we can't talk anymore.. but so far he koed Overeem and Avloski who both have years and years of wear and tear and both go out to a small tickle on the chin these days

Like i have said multiple times in this thread, id prefer he have 1 more fight against a guy not known for folding the second you touch his chin before a title fight
that's not unfair.

but it's also not unique. many fighters get to the title shot without fighting (insert technique, style, skillset, or specific physicality type here).

as often as not, some poster complains that a champ or contender "hasn't beat a striker/wrestler yet". you and this thread just under that wider umbrella.

All that I know is that Ngannou can be taken down. Most of the time w/ ease.

Ngannou has really good TDD against cage.

The L.Henrique fight showed that he can't escape when off his back. Unless ref stands them up.

Doesn't do well when there's no distance. Begins to slow down near end of 2nd Rd. Ngannou doesn't do TD's.

Yea its a weird thing that you don't get with most fighters. If someone says, does Jones have a good guard? We all have a question mark for that. Who knows, we may never know. Ngannou may be similar, he may just knock guys out and rarely if ever be on his back for long.

Jon Jones resume shits on anything Francis has done.. just his win vs Shogun alone does..

Ngannou has barely faced anyone with a pulse.. he might get away with it because HW is so awful right now tho

Says the fucktard who brings race into the discussion for absolutely no reason other than to stir shit

I bet he wasn’t all up in arms when people were still talking shit about Fedor during his 10 year unbeaten reign. Lol Just a hunch..

To be honest Miocic and Ngannou are the only two legitimate heavyweights in the UFC currently as Overeem and Dos Santos are coming off crushing losses. Velasquez is MIA. Werdum needs a big win and as for the rest I can't think of anyone worthy of being mentioned.

Jon Jones resume shits on anything Francis has done.. just his win vs Shogun alone does..

Ngannou has barely faced anyone with a pulse.. he might get away with it because HW is so awful right now tho

I don't disagree with you that HW is a weak division but I've watched many years of MMA and Francis Ngannou rings all the bells and checks all the boxes so far. He looks to be a legitimate ass kicker.

that's not unfair.

but it's also not unique. many fighters get to the title shot without fighting (insert technique, style, skillset, or specific physicality type here).

as often as not, some poster complains that a champ or contender "hasn't beat a striker/wrestler yet". you and this thread just under that wider umbrella.

Well if he beats Stipe that checks both thos boxes

Dont get me wrong, Im excited to see him fight Stipe, I just wish the UFC wasnt so desperate for stars lately that they push every potential one they get as hard as possible

Says the fucktard who brings race into the discussion for absolutely no reason other than to stir shit

Says the idiot who’s criticizing a guy who just beat number 1 contender n made it look easy n is 6-0 in ufc with all 1st round finishes expect 1.

Like someone else already said, hows stipe any more legit?

Cause he beat werdum, who ran straight at him?

Or 43 year old hunt or jds (both beat by Overeem)

For a rational individual ngannou is a legit fighter right now. If you can’t see what’s so special about him, then cleArly you have a bias

Ngannou is Shane Carwin 2.0

Ngannou is 11-1 with multiple ko wins (7) to obtain title shot
Carwin was 12-0 with multiple ko wins (7) for title shot

Both have insane power
Both beat two over the hill fighters to earn their shots; Carwin beat Gonzaga and Mir and Ngannou beat Arlovski and Overeem

The only difference between the two is age; Ngannou is much younger so his cardio should not be as much of an issue

The Ngannou hype is real and it is about time we got some new HW challengers, the division was stale for many years

I don't disagree with you that HW is a weak division but I've watched many years of MMA and Francis Ngannou rings all the bells and checks all the boxes so far. He looks to be a legitimate ass kicker.
The big things that I see that Ngannou can improve on in order to become a long reining HW Champ is:

- TD (non-existent right now)
- Scramble off his back

Not confident in Ngannou if he was taken down by Werdum. Or if he's baited down ala Fedor

Ngannous coaches have been pretty vocal about how quickly he is catching on. I just hope vegas doesnt get to him like it did to conor. That city is hell for someone trying to be disciplined but it seems he has a good head on his shoulders so far. I think that will be his biggest issue as he gets more popular.

Could you get the hype for Carlos after the marathon he ran away from Nick Diaz?

Its HW, outside of Werdum none of these guys are going to want to roll around much. Stipe himself only has 1 sub in his entire career. Ngannou is so strong, if he snatches an arm good luck getting it back.

I've been lately seeing a lot of "Stipe has one sub in contrast with Ngannou's 4" lately. I guess somebody hastily read Fightfinder and everybody's been parroting it since, because it's even a starker contrast than that. Stipe's sub was a tapout to leg kicks, it had nothing to do with BJJ!

I can't remember much offensive BJJ ever shown from Stipe. There was a fair amount of inchoate ground activity, possibly going for positions, in his first UFC fight with Beltran. And there was one, maybe two kimuras attempted in the Hunt fight. As for defensive displays, we've only had the fighting off of Overeem's guillotine. But that was a pretty damn important demonstration of it, no? Before it, we could only go on Schaub's assertion that Stipe was almost impossible to sub as any evidence Miocic had BJJ chops at all.

Which brings up the point that hampers our discussion about Ngannou: we can't assume that lack of evidence means there is evidence of a lack.

Only the greats beat Bojan Mihalojvic amd Anthony Hamilton

Its HW, outside of Werdum none of these guys are going to want to roll around much. Stipe himself only has 1 sub in his entire career. Ngannou is so strong, if he snatches an arm good luck getting it back.

You seem to think that the only purpose of grappling is subs.

Back