UFC’s Real A-Level Athletes

Do you define A-Level as someone who can run a marathon? Without your context for the definition you may as well say that Matt Hughes is a good ballet dancer, because no one can understand what you are referencing.

Brock was an A-Level athlete, so was Randy, Cain, JDS, DJ, Anderson, GSP, Jones and many others.

If Yoel Romero isn't freak of nature i don't know who is.
Yoel is freakishly strong, and that is all.
Athleticism is a blend of sport-specific physical qualities including strength, speed, endurance, flexibility, etc. Yoel has two of these...

If Anthony Joshua is not an A-level athlete then I don't know who the fuck is.
What makes you say that he is? His strength? Physique? Lol
Yeah, he’s imposing. Won’t stop Fury from having his way with him if he ever gets his shit together. Ffs he almost got KOd by a 40 yo Klitschko because he GASSED.
The old man didn’t gas, but Joshua did. That tells me all I need to know. He’s not rounded athletically.

Romero is an Olympic athlete...

Most of these guys are collegiate wrestlers, which is an absolutely grueling sport - or have some sort of olympic pedigree.

I don't really understand your criteria. Sprinting a straight line for 10 second intervals like a wide receiver?

Stupid fucking thread!

Even "A-Level" athletes gas, in less physical sports that doesn't involve constant physical contact that triggers the flight or fight response like in MMA. Do you know what it is like, after cutting weight ("A" level athletes in other sports do not cut weight) and have to fight for your life for 25 minutes, defending takedowns, and have to constantly defend another human body, dealing with their pressure?

Ehmm... what’s the point of your post again?
My criteria for MMA athleticism is physical performance and sustainment thereof in competition.
Guys who can’t sustain their strength/maximum exertion like Condor (despite his exquisite technique and precision) or Hoodley or Yoel are NOT athletic. Diaz trades off too much strength for his endurance, so he isn’t either. Guys who blend strength, endurance, speed and agility are the best athletes.

A level athlete
aaron-gibson.jpg

A level athlete
th

A level athlete
photos.medleyphoto.3457542.jpg

A level athlete
72416642_crop_650x440.jpg

A level athlete
heavycover.jpg

All ufc champs with week of training

Silly ts

There are no a level athletes in ufc

If they were a level they would make millions in nfl or nba

I really don’t find this that impressive. I have a fourty year old friend with a guy who’s a father of two that can do his when he’s drunk. Once you learn it as a teenager, it’s pretty easy to pull it back out.

Anyone who medals at the Olympics is an A level athlete cheeto eater.
Facts don't care about your feelings.

The only A-level athlete in the UFC is Roy Big Country Nelson. He’s fat as shit and still a top level fighter with insane cardio. That’s an A level athlete. You have to be an special kind of athlete to carry all that extra weight and still have insane cardio?!

Sure all the other guys look pretty, but could they still be competitive carrying an extra 50 to 60 lbs of pure fat. I think not.View attachment 309659
He's not in the ufc

Beach body doesn't = A level athlete. Sometimes it does not always. You also have to take into consideration coordination otherwise known as (hands) in athletics. Plenty of guys are ripped but have no hands. Conversely you have guys who are skinny fat like Anderson Silva for example who may not be ripped, but are athletic AF with crazy hands.

A level athlete
aaron-gibson.jpg

A level athlete
th

A level athlete
photos.medleyphoto.3457542.jpg

A level athlete
72416642_crop_650x440.jpg

A level athlete
heavycover.jpg

Exactly. Shertards brand these potroasts as A-Level athletes. These guys literally push and shove for a few seconds at a time, once every 30 or 40 seconds for about 5 minutes at a time... then they go off the field and put on oxygen masks.

The only A-level athlete in the UFC is Roy Big Country Nelson. He’s fat as shit and still a top level fighter with insane cardio. That’s an A level athlete. You have to be an special kind of athlete to carry all that extra weight and still have insane cardio?!

Sure all the other guys look pretty, but could they still be competitive carrying an extra 50 to 60 lbs of pure fat. I think not.View attachment 309659
hes bellator you casual fan

So much talk about meatheads like Romero, Ngannou and Hoodley being A-Level, when they are no more than muscle-bound donkeys who gas in 10 minutes. Same goes for AJ in boxing (look at Klitschko fight for reference. Gassed himself in the 5th after trying desperately to finish him, ended up almost getting finished himself in the 6th. LOL).

UFC’s real A-Level athletes:
At HW, there’s no one really impressive athletically. One of the reasons I can’t stand those bums.
LHW has many candidates, but the real deal has to be Daniel Cormier (ragdolls LHWs and HWs with next to no effort. Unlimited gas tank, never seen him gas. Unrivaled physical culture, evidenced by having learnt excellent boxing, despite being a wrassler).
At MW, Luke Cockhold is a specimen (tall, powerful, flexible, well-conditioned. His stand up is troubling, but his ground game and way he crushes guys on the ground show his physical superiority to anyone at MW).
WW has the GOAT - GSP (yes, he gassed at MW. However, putting on that much weight and ring rust will do that. At 170 in his prime... oh boy. Huge power and explosiveness, rivaling Hoodley... except he won’t gas no matter how intense it gets in there. Not to mention flexibility and movement culture thanks to gymnastics.
LW is competitive, but I’d say the guys who share first place are Tony Ferguson and Kebab (Kebab is a bum and fragile af, but he always overpowers and outlasts guys on the ground. Ferguson has no stop button and is athletically very gifted).
135-145 has Team Alpha Manlet (don't mind the jargon. Nothing but respect towards the TAM guys Chad, Cody, TJ, Urijah. Amazing athleticism on show there, especially the former three. Strong, resilient, huge gas tank. Just look at Cody’s gym footage. On pads, he’s faster and crisper than many pro boxers; on the mat, he moves like a BJJ black belt.
125 is obvious...

List any others guys!
Romero is an Olympian. The HIGHEST ACHIEVEMENT OF ATHLETIC ABILITY.

Retarded post from the start.

All HWs are more athletic that these guys you've listed.

It's easy to kick and do a backflip if you are a 160Lbs cool dude.

Try banging and carrying your mass around when you're 230Lbs+ of muscle and bear fat.

Defining an A-level athlete is tough. My qualities would be:

1. Speed/Quickness/Burst
2. Strength
2. Natural ability to learn and duplicate techniques with the body
3. Natural hand-eye coordination

Using your logic - Usain Bolt is not an A level athlete, because he would gas trying to run a mile. Which he himself admits he has never done & probably couldn't do.

Sneaky edit:

Let me clarify my point, because I know from your original post and subsequent posts you are stubborn and ignorant.

You talk about sport specific athleticism.
Running is the sport. The 100m sprint is a subset of the sport.
MMA is not a sport. It is a subset of Combat sports.
Therefor; it is impossible to say Yoel is not an A level athlete. Unless you are willing to admit your belief that Bolt is also not an A level Athlete, or that Phelps is not also..

Last edited:
Exactly. Shertards brand these potroasts as A-Level athletes. These guys literally push and shove for a few seconds at a time, once every 30 or 40 seconds for about 5 minutes at a time... then they go off the field and put on oxygen masks.

I think the Shertards who bash fighters for not being A-Level are just as dumb as the guys who bash offensive linemen on an American Football team while they type a post from the comfort of their mobile or keyboard. Do you know how rigorous blocking a guy like JJ Watt is from ripping your Quarterback's head 95 times a game is?

JJ Watt is 6'5 and can complete a high jump of 61+ inches. You have a 61 inch waist, to put it into perspective.

It's essentially engaging in constant interval training sessions of test of strength. They are fat as fuck because the possession entails them be fat as fuck. They are difficult to get around, and they are strong as an ox. Otherwise they would be defensive ends. American football is a game of chess, not a constant endurance test. Otherwise they would be soccer/footballer players or wide receivers.

Yoel is the best athlete to complete in the UFC ever.

Randleman a close second

I disagree, Jon Jones is the best athlete ever in the UFC.

I do think Yoel and Randleman are freaks, though.

Back