VIKINGS v.3 (Returns Nov. 29, 2017)

In the cast discussion they said Michael Hirst is writing it all. Apparently he writes faster than GRRM.
And it shows. This season is really hard to get into. And I love shit like this. Season 1 and 2 are the standard for this show. I don't even know if I'll be able to finish this season until it's finished and I can binge watch. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

Difficult to judge as the Vikings women don't show the goods.
The US release is censored somewhat. Helga was butt booty naked in season 1. Lagertha just raped a guy this season. I'm hoping they at least show her bottom in the bluray release. Might make this season worthwhile.

That was so cringe worthy and cheesy...
Some fucking cripple telling you can’t kill me lol

It was a bit odd but I they obviously did it to make him seem like more of a psycho and that he's started to believe that he's unkillable and destined for great things b/c his father, mother, and that slave girl told him so.

It was equally cringe worthy that Heahmund walks his crew straight into a volley of arrows, without a shield, and when the arrows start flying he just stands there and stares meanly. He also acts like God's protection will save him no matter what.

It does take away from a little of the suspense with the fact that we know Alfred won't die. So when he's in battle and *almost* being killed and his adoptive dad saves him there is no suspense to it. Same with Ivar. When he's sitting there we know he's not going to get killed. He's the key of the season with the whole Great Heathen Army.

It was a bit odd but I they obviously did it to make him seem like more of a psycho and that he's started to believe that he's unkillable and destined for great things b/c his father, mother, and that slave girl told him so.

It was equally cringe worthy that Heahmund walks his crew straight into a volley of arrows, without a shield, and when the arrows start flying he just stands there and stares meanly. He also acts like God's protection will save him no matter what.

It does take away from a little of the suspense with the fact that we know Alfred won't die. So when he's in battle and *almost* being killed and his adoptive dad saves him there is no suspense to it. Same with Ivar. When he's sitting there we know he's not going to get killed. He's the key of the season with the whole Great Heathen Army.
Don’t forget flokis magical god appearing and healing him lol

Also the Kattegat / Harald / Astrid story is just filler at this point. It's pointless and isn't going anywhere. I suppose they are just making it a point that Harald will be back to try to take over Lagertha's lands and kingdom. But does anyone really give a $hit about Astrid? Why is this supposed to be some big deal that he took her? Trying to get under Lagertha's skin?

I'd like to see what Bjorn and his crew are up to. I'm guessing we'll see some of that next week as we got a little bit of a break in Ivar's story with Ubbe leaving and the Saxon's temporarily defeated.

Overall I'm still loving this series. I can nitpick all I want but it's still really well done IMO and I love it.

Don’t forget flokis magical god appearing and healing him lol

Very true. I'm kind of confused on the whole point of the Floki arc as well. Is there going to be a point to it? Or just Floki wandering around having visions? I'm guessing he has to come back in play at some point and they are going to give him a better death (or let him live) rather than dying of an infected cut on his hand.

Very true. I'm kind of confused on the whole point of the Floki arc as well. Is there going to be a point to it? Or just Floki wandering around having visions? I'm guessing he has to come back in play at some point and they are going to give him a better death (or let him live) rather than dying of an infected cut on his hand.
But he died

I dont think Floki died. He just discovered Iceland, and my prediction is that he will interpret his hallucinations as the Gods giving him a mission to settle Iceland. I think he will return to Kattegat and recruit a bunch of settlers to sail back with him and populate the "Land of the Gods"

I dont think Floki died. He just discovered Iceland, and my prediction is that he will interpret his hallucinations as the Gods giving him a mission to settle Iceland. I think he will return to Kattegat and recruit a bunch of settlers to sail back with him and populate the "Land of the Gods"

How we know it is Iceland, or Faroe Islands, or Shetland Islands?

They are written to be mirrored somewhat. Maniacal belief in their gods will and such. The season trailer is full of spoilers, beware. Any fool can piece together the season from all they've shown on the trailer.

How will he sail anywhere? He threw the sun stone overboard.

Honestly watching these “warriors of god”
And the Norse mythology gods makes me lose interest but I guess cringeworthy stuff is part of the show.

I feel sad for that horse on Ivars chariot . Horse first into battle lol

They are written to be mirrored somewhat. Maniacal belief in their gods will and such. The season trailer is full of spoilers, beware. Any fool can piece together the season from all they've shown on the trailer.

That is a good point. They are basically mirror images of each other like you mentioned. Both believe in their cause (Ivar to kill and destroy fulfill his "destiny" and Heahmund to ride his land of the Godless people thus doing God's will) 100% and have complete faith that they will win b/c they have their god on their side. They had the big stare down with each other as well. Obviously these 2 are going to clash again multiple times. Though I don't want to see Ivar actually hold his own in hand to hand combat with Heahmund, as that wouldn't even be remotely realistic.

Ya, the trailer gave a LOT away! Even the Season 5 poster board or wahtever you call it showed a lot of potential spoilers. I never watch the "next time on vikings" or read the actual summary of the next episode. They tend to give too much away in those too.

That is a good point. They are basically mirror images of each other like you mentioned. Both believe in their cause (Ivar to kill and destroy fulfill his "destiny" and Heahmund to ride his land of the Godless people thus doing God's will) 100% and have complete faith that they will win b/c they have their god on their side. They had the big stare down with each other as well. Obviously these 2 are going to clash again multiple times. Though I don't want to see Ivar actually hold his own in hand to hand combat with Heahmund, as that wouldn't even be remotely realistic.

Ya, the trailer gave a LOT away! Even the Season 5 poster board or wahtever you call it showed a lot of potential spoilers. I never watch the "next time on vikings" or read the actual summary of the next episode. They tend to give too much away in those too.
And it's not even minor shit. Major plot points that wouldn't be spoiled by being familiar with the sagas. I can't wrap my head around it. I've never seen a show go that far with spoilers in the trailers.

I am not a fan of Ivar. He does rub you the wrong way, and at this point I am rooting for him to bite it
Thing is, they didn't need to make him a cripple. I had thought (in earlier seasons) that Ivar would be healed by the god Asslaug was fucking. Historically, the Boneless name was never confirmed to have been referencing a disability, certain not him being crippled. Hirst is using one reference in the sagas about his men carrying him on a shield after a victory.
With all that said... (minor historical spoilers)
Ivar isn't going anywhere. He's one of the most famous and accomplished Vikings. The show isn't anywhere close to accurate (Sigurd should still be alive, he wasn't killed by Ivar) and they stray quite a bit from "history". But they seem to be focusing on making Ivar the Big Bad of the Great Heathen Army. He does eventually die in Ireland

Thing is, they didn't need to make him a cripple. I had thought (in earlier seasons) that Ivar would be healed by the god Asslaug was fucking. Historically, the Boneless name was never confirmed to have been referencing a disability, certain not him being crippled. Hirst is using one reference in the sagas about his men carrying him on a shield after a victory.
With all that said... (minor historical spoilers)
Ivar isn't going anywhere. He's one of the most famous and accomplished Vikings. The show isn't anywhere close to accurate (Sigurd should still be alive, he wasn't killed by Ivar) and they stray quite a bit from "history". But they seem to be focusing on making Ivar the Big Bad of the Great Heathen Army. He does eventually die in Ireland

Ya, the cripple part, while it makes for an interesting character I suppose, I don't think is or could be historically accurate. It's likely he had some deformity or something about his bones that could bend differently or would dislocate. Some theories say he was a very skilled fighter who could twist and spin while he fought "like he had no bones". I can't see a cripple being able to actually lead a huge Viking army but who knows for sure?

In any case Vikings is obviously loosley based on real Vikings but they change some timelines and other items. For example it's thought that Ivar was actually the oldest brother (which would make sense why he'd command the army) between Ragnar and Auslaug. Also Bjorn Ironside was a son of Auslaug not of Lagertha.

Back