will future generations care more about E sports and less about actual sports?

Drew Peasack

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
it seems to me that more and more kids are playing games and getting into watching e sports following twitch streamers, and less kids care about athletics. I can only assume that this disparity will increase. will athletics eventually die out and be replaced with e-sports in say 100 years or so?

No, the opposite will become true.

eSports will adopt actual physical activity into AR-augmented combat/competition.

Not replaced outright but there's no doubt the esports scene will be much larger than it currently is, and physical sports will suffer.

As for AR/VR being front and center- I just don't see it happening. It's a novelty if not just a gimmick outside of simulation racing games. Having said that, theres no denying it's potentially disruptive tech and theres a lot of money banking on its success.

Not replaced outright but there's no doubt the esports scene will be much larger than it currently is, and physical sports will suffer.

As for AR/VR being front and center- I just don't see it happening. It's a novelty if not just a gimmick outside of simulation racing games. Having said that, theres no denying it's potentially disruptive tech and theres a lot of money banking on its success.
Athletics will never go out of style. Simple reason: physical dominance is part of the sex game.

It isn't that the current crop of gamers (who deliberately avoid physical exertion) aren't going to gravitate towards AR-augmented physical competition. That's going to be the evolution of those who currently do sports. Sure, eSports is going to grow, and physical sports are competing, but eSports isn't going to swallow physical sports any more than Motorsports is going to swallow Ball sports (as some predicted throughout the second half of the 20th century) or the X-Games is going to swallow traditional sports.

Not all trends are temporary, but at the same time, timeless is timeless. Combat sports faces its greatest challenge in history from the discoveries of our brain trauma studies, and yet, it will persist, whereas the NFL and Hockey might not: a difference in the purity of trappings. Fighting is simply human nature. War is primal, not irrational.

While I agree with general sentiment that esports will eventually fade and something else will be "the next big thing", whatever that is.
You have been spelling esports wrong for months.
You come off as "How do you do fellow esporters?" guy.
Just want to let you know you are ignorant in that field. Not even a layman.
Carry on.

LOL, the very fact that he is ranting about that is testament to the fact the there is no "official" stylization of the word, and continues a tradition tracing back to hyphenation of "e-mail", and even early on when people still wrote "e-Mail" or "eMail" before it finally settled in with more traditional rules of grammar. Applying the same "e" prefix to many newly digitized apparatuses that had non-digital precursors has been common ever since. You come off as some peremptory 20-year-old oblivious to this (not very old) history, and ripe with condescension in your absurd ignorance.

Not important. Maybe we can get a more widely accepted formal consensus. Where to look, I wonder? Oh yeah, Wikipedia, the globe's de facto up-to-date encyclopedia and almanac:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports
eSports

eSports (also known as electronic sports, esports, e-sports, competitive (video) gaming, professional (video) gaming, or pro gaming)
LOL, whoops. I'm living rent free in that pigeon brain, tryhard. Carry on.

Using wikipedia as source, thanks for proving my point.

I think the video and word of a host who has been in industry for 15 years hosting big events every single year mean more than wikipedia.
It's been decided years ago, how more esports figures you want me to post that make fun of noobs(you) who post the name wrong?

Go on and prance around here, I'll answer in like 3 days when I have time for your stupidity.
You have already lost, like you lost in last 5 esports threads, because you are ignorant.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
Actually, it proves my point. First, you don't even understand how these determinations are made, or you'd know that it's ridiculously stupid to quibble over stuff like this because it isn't definite, but...if we're going to quibble you've actually advanced the incorrect position. No, a single host doesn't decide these things. That's not what determines norms in style. You didn't mention the MLA, or the history of the style of this term, which means that you don't understand language, and style, or the fluid nature by which it evolves.
DOT ESPORTS: The final word on the great esports capitalization debate (Jan 17, 2014)
A capital letter is a powerful thing.

In December 2013, the Daily Dot launched a dedicated esports section. We're pretty sure we're the first non-gaming publication to do so, and it was exciting—not the least because fans and gamers reacted with overwhelming positivity. But there was one major problem. Lingering in the middle of the word itself was an oversized “S.” In headlines, regular copy, and even the top of our section, the word looked like the discarded offspring of an Apple product and late-’90s techno-jargon.

And readers hated it.

Why did we cap that pesky “S”? Simple: When we googled the term, that’s what came up. From Wikipedia to the New York Times, the name was consistent: “eSports.”

“Esports” is not a proper noun. It is not a unique person, place, or institution; it is, broadly, a phenomenon, a catch-all term for the world of competitive gaming. Or, to put it in the simplest terms, “esports” is a common noun. And as any first-grade English student will tell you, common nouns don't get the big-letter treatment.

We don't capitalize “sports” for the same reasons, and we certainly don't insert capital letters into a word just because it looks more appealing that way. A copyeditor stumbling across “eMail,” for instance, would quit on the spot.

So how did this typographical oddity come to propagate across our website and a substantial portion of the Web?

Professional publishers of words always follow a generally accepted style for how those words should appear on a page, and they've been doing it for generations. The Chicago Manual of Style, first published in 1906, continues to set a standard across the publishing industry. The Modern Language Association guide, which appeared in 1986, lives on English classroom bookshelves across the country.

New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, and Fortune, esports was always written as eSports. That seemed to be a standard, and that's what we went with.

And the knee-jerk reaction was instantaneous.

"Can you guys do me a favor and not capitalize esports?" one person wrote in a Reddit discussion about our launch. "I'm finally starting to come to terms with the name, but I think you'll agree that you won't be reading your eMail anytime soon."

"The medial capital in esports needs to be eradicated," another wrote in an email. "'Esports' isn't a brand name, it's a common noun, and I don't understand how writers and editors alike don't shudder at seeing 'ESports' when capitalized at the top of a sentence.

Reddit commenter suggested our esports section invalidated our site's journalistic legitimacy.

That's why esports deserves a standard style. It deserves better than some typographical distinction. A newspaper's style ought to be descriptive of how readers (and the whole Internet) are communicating. They shouldn't be prescriptive—hard and fast rules that contradict the way we usually type and communicate.

So, esports and newspaper style fans, we hear you. We feel your typographic anguish. And you are all correct. From now on, “eSports” will always be “esports” on the Daily Dot.

Now let’s start talking about the actual stories, for chrissake.
You come off as a tryhard CS:GO adolescent who just got into the scene like two years ago, and now thinks he can pontificate to the rest of us from a perch of ignorance. Some of us are a bit longer in the tooth, and don't care to dispense with the habits or our more profound knowledge, and deeper experience.

That's why, for example, in one of those eSport thread debates, I opined that Overwatch would gain traction as a viable eSport, and maintain that. I was correct. You (and several other posters) were not. That's a specific example of how you have lost these debates-- just as you did, here, again.

it seems to me that more and more kids are playing games and getting into watching e sports following twitch streamers, and less kids care about athletics.

This is a 30 year old form of competition that now has a delivery platform with internet based live streaming websites/services with live sports level on production teams.

Its impractical to speculate on it overreaching traditional sports. Only thing we know is the yearly revenue of gaming with competitive hours viewed and live viewers. One aspect to keep an eye on is non-endemic investment to gauge growth. An event organizer hosting an event for your favorite game isnt an indication of a self sustaining competitive scene for that game.

For context, PUBG saw a 75% viewership decline from their initial lan event at Gamescom to IEM Oakland.

You dont get a great body from video games so no

You dont get a great body from video games so no

pasha-csgo-csgo-config.jpg

It was decided about at that time, maybe little before, which you would knew if you were following it in that timeframe.

Damn, being wrong must be your official occupation.
I got my first clan, played my first LAN and first competitive(you would clasiffy it as such, it had equipment as reward) in 1.5 in 2002.
I retired from competitive esports before you could reach keyboard.
I neither believe you, nor care, and none of this changes the fact that you're objectively wrong about the style in this matter.
Really, lets see what you actually said about Overwatch in MAY 2017

Bwahahahaha.
Bwahahahaha.
This is easily proven wrong with simple data. I've been recording esports hours numbers for about three months since I correctly assumed newzoo wouldn't realease it in their yearly report.
Last month with numbers is October.

So by esports hours watched on Twitch in a year since November 2016 - October 2017.
League of Legends has 271,6 Million hours watched,
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 232,1 M
Dota 2 211,3 M
Overwatch 23,1M.

Mind you numbers were even worse in May.
No wonder others called you on your bullshit.

I don't want to die from laughter, so I won't be reading your posts about esports until at least next year.
It has maintained as a Top 6 eSport since it debuted by any metric you choose.

Again dancing on your own grave.

I still am trying to understand in my old man brain why the youngins will watch others play video games online. Help me understand. Wouldnt you rather just play it yourself or at a friends house if you dont own it?

It has maintained as a Top 6 eSport since it debuted by any metric you choose.

You dont understand the meaning of such a chart. This isnt equating it to the sixth most viewed sport in the world or sixth highest earning company in the world. It would be like you asking me who the sixth ranked WMMA fighter is in each weight class. Thats how meaningless it is in the context of sixth most viewed esport in the world.

Last edited:
No, the opposite will become true.

eSports will adopt actual physical activity into AR-augmented combat/competition.
1 you cant say "never" you really dont know that
2 not true. alot of millennial girls think jocks are douchbag "fuck boys"

What's so hard to understand?
Why do you watch that game on TV?
Just go outside and play motherfucker.
Some like to watch best play versus best in a competitive minded games that are played by millions.
That's how esports came about.
Others like to watch great entertainers who range highly skilled to average, or even rarer just check out what game is about before buying it.
There is a thread about best entertainer here:
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/slick-daddy-club-were-talking-about-the-two-time.3644945/
Thats cool, I guess its just not for me. And I do go outside budday, the things I like to do are fish and go to concerts and chill with my kids. I tried the link to that thread and I can see the appeal, at least that dude has some personality, but I found myself getting bored 20 seconds in to a clip. He seems to be trying to do a wacky radio guy thing while playing a game. I would like it better if the jokes were geared more towards adults, like a howard stern or opie and anthony playing games but that is not streamers audience, its mainly kids.

You dont understand the meaning of such a chart. This isnt equating it to the sixth most viewed sport in the world or sixth highest earning company in the world. It would be like you asking me who the sixth ranked WMMA fighter is in each weight class. Thats how meaningless it is in the context of sixth most viewed esport in the world.
You already lost this argument. Most of us consider Baseball a successful sport.

The day I start watching E-Sports or people on Twitch is the day that I buy a good rope and make a ropeswing featuring me.

Back