NWO Era vs. Attitude Era vs. Prime ECW

Satsui Ryu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Which one do you think put out the best product? I loved the Attitude Era, but I gotta go with ECW. WCW and WWE were the most successful when they were essentially using ideas that were already being used in ECW or simply poaching their talent. The whole NWO thing got old pretty quickly once the novelty of Hogan being a heel wore off and when it seemed like there were more wrestlers in the WCW roster that were part of the NWO than were not.

I was a huge ECW mark. You felt like you were a part of something counter-culture. Probably kinda like how the indie nerds feel now but in a way more masculine manner.

Looking back it was retarded to mark-out over dudes risking their lives for pennies and every guy on the card getting color for no-reason.

That being said it was fucking awesome.

8059%20-%20Awesome_Bomb%20Masato_Tanaka%20autoplay_gif%20ecw%20gif%20mike_awesome%20one_night_stand%20powerbomb%20referee%20table%20wwe.gif

ECW in its prime was by far the best product of the three. Did anyone believe that the NWO was actually trying to "take over" WCW? All you need to do is ask "Why were the NWO allowed in the ring if they weren't on WCW's payroll? Attitude era WWF was a watered down version of ECW. Nobody who watched ECW had to ask "Do they really hit each other hard with chairs" or "Do they really get hurt with the way they wrestle"? People were marking out over work ethic.

ECW wrestlers combined the physicality of a shoot (and even beyond with the number of concussions, broken necks, and deaths) with the aesthetic appeal of a work. ECW will never be duplicated because It wouldn't even be legal today since it was more dangerous than UFC, especially considering the recent findings on CTE. Our society has become so oversensitive, easily offended and weak compared to what it was in the 80s and 90s that it's pathetic.

I would say the NWO era just for the undercard. You could probably turn on some old Nitro and be blown away by the talent on their roster. Obviously the main events probably don't age very well.

ECW for me and it's not even close. When I was in Germany and my buddy would get ECW VHS tapes, it was like Christmas! WWE was pandering to kids, WCW (and I was reared on NWA/WCW) was trying to go global.

ECW was for the misfit, socially awkward, reject.

And we had a brotherhood under the ECW banner.

Attitude Era by a comfortable margin.

WCW sucked, and the only reason it got tolerable was the infusion and promotion of former WWE stars. NWO was the only great angle they ever had, and they ran it into the ground, because they didn't know how to make the lame roster outside of it interesting.

ECW was an anomaly. They have their place, and really did help revolutionize the industry with their style. However, outside of the car crash appeal, they never had much. A lot of the roster just couldn't do much outside of maiming themselves. In fairness, they did try to to balance out their violence with actual talent, and had quite an eye for said talent, but being so small, they inevitably got raided to the point where they were left with nothing but their freakshow elements. Not to say that everyone on the main roster was shit, but the RVD's of the roster were few and far between.

Raw was always the first option. They were just the most consistently good. WCW had some good angles, but was mostly just the most talented roster ever being wasted on the mid-card.

It's too long ago for me to judge properly. The Attitude Era has definitely aged the worst, though.

All three were really one and the same, they all fed each other and couldn't exist without the others. The wrestling of WCW, the storytelling of WWE, and the culture of ECW coalesced into one giant movement. Just look at Austin who learned to work in WCW, become a character in ECW, and tell a story in WWE.

A rising tide lifted all ships, and capsized two of them in the end.

Last edited:
All three were really one and the same, they all fed each other and couldn't exist without the others. The wrestling of WCW, the storytelling of WWE, and the culture of ECW coalesced into one giant movement. Just look at Austin who learned to work in WCW, become a character in WCW, and tell a story in WWE.

A rising tide lifted all ships, and capsized two of them in the end.
Yeah, I thought "Attitude Era" referred to period in the entire business, that included edgier storylines, more color, more sex appeal used, breaking kayfabe, etc. I never thought of it as specific to WWF.

Yeah, I thought "Attitude Era" referred to period in the entire business, that included edgier storylines, more color, more sex appeal used, breaking kayfabe, etc. I never thought of it as specific to WWF.
it did, the NWO and ecw were in the attitude era

it did, the NWO and ecw were in the attitude era

Sure, but the WWE literally had "Attitude" flash after their logo would hit. It's a WWE thing. The other two just get lumped in with the time period when WWE was pushing that moniker.

My favorite was mid 80s NWA , specifically Crockett. Just a special time for workrate, promos and storylines. Add the UWF in there and my God, was it special!

I'm particular to the mid 90's, 94-96 WWF era, even though it's considered the worst, ratings wise. Bulldog, Undertaker, HBK, Vader, Owen Hart, Bret Hart, Razor, Diesel, 123 Kid, Psycho Sid, Lex Luger, HHH, etc. Still had the old school look, red white and blue ropes, old logo, but the 90s feel.

the NWO started strong but after a few months when half the wrestlers were in the nwo ...it wasnt anywhere near as interesting
as the Bret Hart/Steve Austin ... or Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels story lines
Never watched ECW so cant really compare it.

I have to go with ECW then with the nWo era because I think the whole Monday night wars that was a result of the nWo

The stone cold era was the best.

ECW had a lot of good fun Moments but they also had tons of shitty shows and matches as well.

Never cared for Mikey Whipwreck and tommy dreamer and sandman could never work properly in the ring.

Shane Douglas was an awesome heel tho

Attitude era WWF was a watered down version of ECW. Nobody who watched ECW had to ask "Do they really hit each other hard with chairs" or "Do they really get hurt with the way they wrestle"? People were marking out over work ethic.

(People liked the Attitude Era because the characters, talent, and writing were so good; not because of chair shots.)

Back