Locked MNN (I Kill Giants Trailer; Nominations for 2018 Oscars and Razzie Awards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan Reynolds to Play Pikachu in the Pokemon Movie DETECTIVE PIKACHU

iChoMej.jpg

Ryan Reynolds is going to catch 'em all. The Deadpool star has signed on to star in Legendary’s live-action Pokemon movie, THR has learned.

Reynolds joins Justice Smith, who will be seen in the upcoming Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and Big Little Lies actress Kathryn Newton in the movie, titled Detective Pikachu, based on the gaming franchise.

Rob Letterman (Goosebumps) is directing the project, which is due to start shooting mid-January in London. Alex Hirsch and Nicole Perlman wrote the latest draft of the script.

The concept of Pokemon, which was initially a card-collecting game as well as an anime, sees players acting as trainers who collect cute but powerful monsters called Pokemon in order to compete in battle tournaments.

Pikachu is a species of Pokemon, while Detective Pikachu the character is a peculiar sort from the Pikachu set, a self-styled investigator who is good at finding things. Reynolds will play the titular Detective Pikachu.

The story is kicked into gear when Smith's character's father is kidnapped, forcing the teen to team up with Pikachu in order to find him. Newton is a sassy journalist who helps them on their quest.

The role is said to be motion-capture in nature, sources say.

Many details of the project are being kept off the grid, including the casting, which has been underway under the radar by the usually secretive Legendary.

Ryan Reynolds to Star in Live-Action Pokemon Movie 'Detective Pikachu' (Exclusive)

IT Star Jack Dylan Grazer to Play Billy Batson's Best Friend in SHAZAM!

JSMof2q.jpg

Following a breakout performance in New Line’s box office record-breaker It, Jack Dylan Grazer has been added to the cast of the studio’s DC Comic film, Shazam!. The young actor joinsZachary Levi, who was tapped for the title role, and Asher Angel, who will play Billy Batson, the teen who is able to transform into an adult superhero by uttering the phrase “Shazam.”

David F. Sandberg is on board to direct from a script by Henry Gayden and Darren Lemke. Grazer will play Freddy, Batson’s best friend and the only person who knows the truth about Shazam.

Annabelle: Creation and Aquaman producer Peter Safran is producing, with filming slated to begin early next year.

In addition to It, which has pulled in $694M worldwide making it the highest grossing horror film ever, Grazer also starred on CBS’ recently pulled new comedy series, Me Myself & I, and up next will appear in the drama film, Beautiful Boy, with Steve Carell and Timothée Chalamet.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/it-jack-dylan-grazer-shazam-dc-movie-1202221613/

7 DAYS IN ENTEBBE Trailer Starring Daniel Bruhl, Rosamund Pike

A gripping thriller inspired by the true events of the 1976 hijacking of an Air France flight en route from Tel Aviv to Paris, the film depicts the most daring rescue mission ever attempted. Directed by Jose Padilha (Narcos, Elite Squad, Robocop), the film stars Daniel Brühl and Rosamund Pike.

First Look at Sophie Turner as Phoenix in X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX; New Story Details

Set in 1992, about 10 years after the events of last year’s X-Men: Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix opens with the X-Men, including Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), Storm (Alexandra Shipp), Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and Quicksilver (Evan Peters), in a new, unexpected role: national heroes. Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) even lands on the cover of Time magazine. But his growing ego puts the team at risk. “Pride is starting to get the better of him, and he is pushing the X-Men to more extreme missions,” Kinberg says. After they’re dispatched to space for a rescue mission, a solar flare hits the X-Jet and the surge of energy ignites a malevolent, power-hungry new force within Jean (Game of Thrones’ Sophie Turner)— the Phoenix.

Based partially on Chris Claremont’s comic, Phoenix will feature some of the series’ biggest set pieces to date, including the X-Men’s first trip to outer space. It’s also the most sinister, and somber, chapter in the saga and includes a massive twist halfway through that will irrevocably change the course of the franchise. “This is probably the most emotional X-Men we’ve done and the most pathos-driven,” McAvoy says. “There’s a lot of sacrifice and a lot of suffering.” The movie becomes a fight for Jean’s soul as Phoenix threatens to overtake her mind and divide the X-Men, particularly Jean and her mentor, Charles. “It’s about the butterfly effect of this thing happening,” says Turner, who studied schizophrenia and multiple personality disorders to prepare. “What happens when the person you love the most falls into darkness?”

All involved with the production of Phoenix last summer in Montreal wouldn’t know the answer as the experience on set was actually calm, an adjective not usually applicable to X-Men shoots. Ellen Page recently accused Last Stand director Brett Ratner of homophobic and abusive behavior on the set of that film. (Ratner’s lawyer did not respond to EW’s request for comment.) Singer faced sexual assault allegations in 2014. Those charges did not stem from anything on an X-Men production, but his sets do have a reputation for drama. (On Dec. 4, Fox dismissed him in the middle of directing Bohemian Rhapsody, and though he’s credited as a producer on Phoenix, he has not been directly involved with the film.) “I had heard stories of these sets,” admits Jessica Chastain, who plays an otherworldly shapeshifter who comes into contact with Phoenix. “But working with Simon and Hutch and Sophie was the most loving, strong, happy set.” Adds Lawrence: “It was unrecognizable. Everything was on time. Everything was organized. These movies have always been fun amidst chaos, and now they were fun with no chaos.”

dph_211_teenspirit_ewcover_v3-0.jpg

000270472hr.jpg

000270032hr.jpg

000270029hr.jpg

000270028hr.jpg

000270110hr.jpg

000270031hr.jpg
http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/07/xme...l&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Will Be Rated R; Mark L. Smith Frontrunner to Write

P0fEfk9.jpg

After Deadline this week revealed that Quentin Tarantino pitched a Star Trek film to JJ Abrams and Paramount, the whole thing is moving at warp speed. Tarantino met for hours in a writers room with Mark L. Smith, Lindsey Beer, and Drew Pearce. They kicked around ideas and one of them will get the job. Deadline is hearing the frontrunner is Smith, who wrote The Revenant.

The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition. Most mega budget tent poles restrict the film to a PG-13 rating in an effort to maximize the audience. That was the reason that Guillermo Del Toro’s $150 million At The Mountains of Madness didn’t go forward at Universal, even though Tom Cruise was ready to star. The exception to this rule was Fox’s Deadpool, but that film started out with modest ambitions before it caught on and became the biggest R rated film ever.

That rating was crucially important to Tarantino, who hopes to direct this Star Trek and who has helmed R rated films his entire career. Imagine how this could open storytelling lanes, or even what the banter on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise might be, if you conjure up memories of the conversations between Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta in Pulp Fiction, or the banter at the diner between robbers before the heist gone wrong that triggered the action in Reservoir Dogs.

Smith is best known for writing the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed The Revenant and subsequently overhauled Overlord, the WWII thriller that Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing for Paramount. Pearce’s script credits include Iron Man 3, Sherlock Holmes 3, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and the TV series Runaway TV; he just directed his script Hotel Artemis; Beer’s credits are mostly upcoming, and include the Doug Liman-directed Chaos Walking, as well as Godzilla Vs. Kong, Masters of the Universe, Barbarella and Dungeons and Dragons, all big scale stuff.

They will lock one of the three quickly (if there is a front runner, it might be Smith), and the film will be scripted based on Tarantino’s idea while Tarantino is filming his next film about the Manson summer of 1969, which got set at Sony and has I, Tonya‘s Margot Robbie poised to play Sharon Tate, and Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt all having met with the filmmaker about roles.

Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Will Be R-Rated: ‘The Revenant’s Mark L. Smith Frontrunner Scribe

First Look at Lady Gaga in Bradley Cooper's Directorial Debut, A STAR IS BORN

They say making a movie is like birthing a child, and Bradley Cooper’s directorial debut, A Star Is Born, is a full-bodied take on one of the most oft-made films in the Hollywood canon — see also the 1937 original with Janet Gaynor, the 1954 Judy Garland version, and the 1976 rock opus with Barbra Streisand. But Cooper’s will enter the world to the beat of its own drum.

“It all comes down to this broken love story,” Cooper says of the central romance between a fading crooner, Jackson Maine (Cooper), and the talented unknown, Ally (Lady Gaga, credited by her real name, Stefani Germanotta), he takes under his wing. “She’s not an ingenue,” he says, describing the reenvisioned character, whose journey into the limelight breathes joy and heartbreak into the movie’s rock soul, thanks to a soundtrack of original songs Cooper crafted with Germanotta, Mark Ronson, Jason Isbell, and Lukas Nelson.

“[We’re asking]: What happens when you’re 30 and the idea that ‘Maybe I’m not going to make it’ has crept into your artistic brain?” he says. “There’s no better way to express that than through singing because there’s nowhere to hide when you’re singing.” Or a star. A Star is Born is in theaters on May 18.

A Star is Born first look: Lady Gaga electrifies Bradley Cooper's directorial debut

Melissa McCarthy Goes Back to College in First Look at LIFE OF THE PARTY

Melissa McCarthy is hitting the books again. After busting ghosts and showing off her spy skills, the Oscar-nominated comedian reteams with her writing partner and husband, Ben Falcone (The Boss), for Life of the Party. McCarthy stars as a fortysomething mom named Deanna, who, after a surprise divorce from her husband (Matt Walsh), decides to go back to college — specifically to the university her daughter (Molly Gordon) attends.

“I really like the idea of showing somebody challenging herself and reinventing herself at my age,” McCarthy says. “Because why not?!”

The result is a PG-13 fish-out-of-water comedy — or, as McCarthy puts it, a comedy where “the fish has not been in that water for a long time.”

Not only does Life of the Party reunite McCarthy with her Bridesmaids costar Maya Rudolph, who plays Deanna’s best friend, but it was also a welcome return to campus for McCarthy herself, who attended Southern Illinois University but never graduated.

Life of the Party will hit theaters May 11. Gillian Jacobs, Julie Bowen, Stephen Root, Jackie Weaver, Jessie Ennis, Adria Arjona, Debby Ryan, and Jimmy O. Yang also star.

Melissa McCarthy goes back to school in Life of the Party first look

First Trailer for JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM Starring Chris Pratt

Andi Matichak to Play Judy Greer's Daughter in Blumhouse's HALLOWEEN Reboot

lQDCYZ1.jpg

Andi Matichak has joined Judy Greer in the reboot of David Gordon Green and Danny McBride’s Halloween reboot for Blumhouse, Universal Pictures, and Miramax. Matichak will play Allyson, the daughter of Judy Greer’s character. The film is prepping for an October 2018 release date. Jamie Lee Curtis is reprising her role in the film about psycho-killer Michael Myers.

Green is directing from a screenplay he co-wrote with McBride. Halloween creator John Carpenter serves as exec producer with with Green and McBride through their Rough House Pictures banner.

Malek Akkad, whose Trancas International Films has produced the series since its inception, is producing along with Jason Blum’s Blumhouse.

Andi Matichak is known for playing the role of role of Meadow in the Netflix series Orange Is the New Black. She’s also played Wendy Brazda in Miles, Miss Jubilee in the WGN series Underground, and Kayla Shepard in the recently-completed film Replicate.

Andi Matichak To Join Jamie Lee Curtis In David Gordon Green's Halloween’ Reboot (Exclusive)

First Look at the Cast Together in the Official NEW MUTANTS Promo Image

From left to right: Blu Hunt as Mirage, Charlie Heaton as Cannonball, Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane, Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik, and Henry Zaga as Sunspot

BBljSCh.jpg

I like Josh Brolin as an actor, but his voice really sucks ass as Thanos.

First Trailer for Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron's ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL

Co-written and produced by James Cameron and directed by Robert Rodriguez. Based on the Graphic Novel ("Manga") Series: "Gunnm" By Yukito Kishiro, the film stars Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, Jackie Earle Haley, Keean Johnson. Opens July 20, 2018.

First Trailer for Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron's ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL

Co-written and produced by James Cameron and directed by Robert Rodriguez. Based on the Graphic Novel ("Manga") Series: "Gunnm" By Yukito Kishiro, the film stars Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, Ed Skrein, Jackie Earle Haley, Keean Johnson. Opens July 20, 2018.

someone help me. Why did they CGI the entire character? Is Alita oddly disproportionate in the manga/anime/whatever? Seems like the ex-machina style would have worked better?

Final Trailer for MAZE RUNNER: THE DEATH CURE Starring Dylan O'Brien

In the epic finale to the Maze Runner saga, Thomas leads his group of escaped Gladers on their final and most dangerous mission yet. To save their friends, they must break into the legendary Last City, a WCKD-controlled labyrinth that may turn out to be the deadliest maze of all. Anyone who makes it out alive will get answers to the questions the Gladers have been asking since they first arrived in the maze. In Theaters January 26, 2018

someone help me. Why did they CGI the entire character? Is Alita oddly disproportionate in the manga/anime/whatever? Seems like the ex-machina style would have worked better?
No, she's pretty typically drawn for a female manga character.

First Look at Taron Egerton as Robin Hood and Eve Hewson as Maid Marian in ROBIN HOOD

No mud. No pitchforks. And definitely no “guys in tights running around swashbuckling.” Director Otto Bathurst (Peaky Blinders) knew he would need to lay down a few ground rules if he was going to blow the cobwebs out of Sherwood Forest. But hold on to the hero: “You don’t become a legend for 800 years if you’ve just stolen a few bags of money from rich people to give to the poor,” Bathurst told EW on the Budapest set in April. “In my mind, Robin Hood was this sort of seriously militarized anarchist revolutionary, a freedom thinker and a truth seeker. And the more I got into the story, it just became startling how utterly relevant it is to what’s going on in society now.”

His Robin, 28-year-old Taron Egerton, agrees: “I was approached not long after the first Kingsman movie had come out, and my initial response, to be totally honest, was ‘Why?’ [But] Otto told me he wanted to do something entirely revisionist, something that can’t be tied down to a medieval universe. The first act of the movie, these scenes crusading in Syria, were written like something from The Hurt Locker. It was fantastic, and that was enough to convince me.” Also on board: Merry Men Jamie Foxx (Little John) and Jamie Dornan (Will Scarlett), and The Knick‘s Eve Hewson as Maid Marian. And Ben Mendelsohn steps into the Sheriff of Nottingham’s boots — a role that for many is still defined by the late Alan Rickman in 1991’s Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. “I ain’t gonna be outdoing him,” he admits. “That performance is a delightful tour de force, and I knew and loved the man. But I get a kick out of [sharing it], and I think he would have too.”

Foxx, for one, is already a Mendelsohn superfan: “He’s venomous. So good. There are some people that can just whup your ass. Him, Samuel Jackson, Viola Davis: ass whuppers.” And he says he too felt galvanized by Bathurst’s vision, freed from the constraints of period-perfect accents, costumes, and soundtrack cues. “I wanted to be part of it because it’s hood, not Robin Hood. He’s making it new and interesting, and it gives it weight.” Though one early promise might have been broken, Egerton admits with a laugh: “I did initially say the only thing I wouldn’t do was wear tights, and the pants did sort of get tighter and tighter… Let’s just call them jeggings now.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/08/robin-hood-taron-egerton-first-look/

Melissa McCarthy Goes Back to College in First Look at LIFE OF THE PARTY

Melissa McCarthy is hitting the books again. After busting ghosts and showing off her spy skills, the Oscar-nominated comedian reteams with her writing partner and husband, Ben Falcone (The Boss), for Life of the Party. McCarthy stars as a fortysomething mom named Deanna, who, after a surprise divorce from her husband (Matt Walsh), decides to go back to college — specifically to the university her daughter (Molly Gordon) attends.

“I really like the idea of showing somebody challenging herself and reinventing herself at my age,” McCarthy says. “Because why not?!”

The result is a PG-13 fish-out-of-water comedy — or, as McCarthy puts it, a comedy where “the fish has not been in that water for a long time.”

Not only does Life of the Party reunite McCarthy with her Bridesmaids costar Maya Rudolph, who plays Deanna’s best friend, but it was also a welcome return to campus for McCarthy herself, who attended Southern Illinois University but never graduated.

Life of the Party will hit theaters May 11. Gillian Jacobs, Julie Bowen, Stephen Root, Jackie Weaver, Jessie Ennis, Adria Arjona, Debby Ryan, and Jimmy O. Yang also star.

Melissa McCarthy goes back to school in Life of the Party first look

I think it would be funny if the entire movie was a contrast between the daughter taking classes and the mom sitting at home taking online courses.

Daughter graduates in five years (classes, dorm life, parties, etc.) While mom completes her bachelors and masters in three years.

First Look at Taron Egerton as Robin Hood and Eve Hewson as Maid Marian in ROBIN HOOD

No mud. No pitchforks. And definitely no “guys in tights running around swashbuckling.” Director Otto Bathurst (Peaky Blinders) knew he would need to lay down a few ground rules if he was going to blow the cobwebs out of Sherwood Forest. But hold on to the hero: “You don’t become a legend for 800 years if you’ve just stolen a few bags of money from rich people to give to the poor,” Bathurst told EW on the Budapest set in April. “In my mind, Robin Hood was this sort of seriously militarized anarchist revolutionary, a freedom thinker and a truth seeker. And the more I got into the story, it just became startling how utterly relevant it is to what’s going on in society now.”

His Robin, 28-year-old Taron Egerton, agrees: “I was approached not long after the first Kingsman movie had come out, and my initial response, to be totally honest, was ‘Why?’ [But] Otto told me he wanted to do something entirely revisionist, something that can’t be tied down to a medieval universe. The first act of the movie, these scenes crusading in Syria, were written like something from The Hurt Locker. It was fantastic, and that was enough to convince me.” Also on board: Merry Men Jamie Foxx (Little John) and Jamie Dornan (Will Scarlett), and The Knick‘s Eve Hewson as Maid Marian. And Ben Mendelsohn steps into the Sheriff of Nottingham’s boots — a role that for many is still defined by the late Alan Rickman in 1991’s Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. “I ain’t gonna be outdoing him,” he admits. “That performance is a delightful tour de force, and I knew and loved the man. But I get a kick out of [sharing it], and I think he would have too.”

Foxx, for one, is already a Mendelsohn superfan: “He’s venomous. So good. There are some people that can just whup your ass. Him, Samuel Jackson, Viola Davis: ass whuppers.” And he says he too felt galvanized by Bathurst’s vision, freed from the constraints of period-perfect accents, costumes, and soundtrack cues. “I wanted to be part of it because it’s hood, not Robin Hood. He’s making it new and interesting, and it gives it weight.” Though one early promise might have been broken, Egerton admits with a laugh: “I did initially say the only thing I wouldn’t do was wear tights, and the pants did sort of get tighter and tighter… Let’s just call them jeggings now.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/08/robin-hood-taron-egerton-first-look/

"Otto told me he wanted to do something entirely revisionist, something that can’t be tied down to a medieval universe"

The second most famous medieval character of all time, and they don't want to tie him to his own background.

Anyone notice that every new Robin Hood movie is going to be edgy and groundbreaking?

I don't really have a problem with this, but I adore the mythos, and long for a proper movie. It's a simple classic. Can we get ONE where they respect the history of the character?

Same goes for King Arthur. I'd love to see a proper reboot, although honestly, after Excalibur, I guess we don't really need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back