Official Judo Thread

Does anybody knows about a nice dojo to train Georgia (country) . I was going to Russia´s World Cup but my country didn´t make it so I am thinking into a warrior trip.
Thank´s in advance.

Another Grand Prix gold for Abe Hifumi, this kid is so talented. His sister too. Here are their grand prix finales:
Abe Uta:

Will have to wait for a good quality video of Hifumi's.

I do not know anyone from Georiga, but I found two Judo clubs in Tbilisi. Not sure if they speak English:

ЛИДЕР - КЛУБ ДЗЮДО
Тбилиси. Ул. Белиашвили 5
Тел: (593) 99 88 83
E-mail: [email protected]
Вебсайт: www.facebook.com/GeorgianJudoClubLIDERI

КЛУБ ДЗЮДО - ДЖОРДЖИЯ
Тбилиси. пр. Габриеля Салоса 144
Тел: (599) 93 38 97
E-mail: [email protected]
Вебсайт: www.facebook.com/JudoClubGeorgia
Balshoy spasiba mr bear !!!!
Originally I was going to th world cup but my country didn´t make it and thank´s again, my teacher is not in the country and well...my writing is pretty bad.

My coach threw me during jiu jitsu sparring with a leg lift/footsweep that I have never even seen before. Then, next round, I can't remember what I got thrown with, but it was some kind of trip that whipped me down so hard and fast, I SMASHED my head on the mat. No attempt to break fall whatsoever. No relaxation when the throw came. I tensed, went down, head snapped bag and saw stars momentarily. Intense.

The only good part about it was that both my jiu jitsu and judo coaches afterwards told me I was clearly making a ton of progress, and it was evident that my attacks from the body lock, whether it be ura nage, back arch, whatever, were really fucking with people and causing a problem. My judo coach told me in the exchange where I hit my head that he was on step 5 of the sequence trying to get me down, which means I had defended the first 4 attacks.

I believe there is another judo tournament in Maryland in January and I plan on entering. The weight classes are broader, but I am lighter than before and may be able to drop a weight class, which would be cool considering I already felt solid and strong in the division I was in. I am trying to set some goals before the next tournament. I want to:

-Initiate more instead of resigning myself to counter-attacking. I never got a shido, but my opponents got a lot for passivity and being pushed out of bounds because I was walking forward the whole time trying to get them to push back. While it isn't a bad thing necessarily, I'd like to depend on their reaction slightly less.

-Vary the approach to my attacks. I bully for high grips, usually either an over the back belt grip, or a body lock of some sort because I want harai or ura nage. I have been working a lot of sesae, and it would be good to keep them off balance and moving by adding in more foot sweeps and such.

-Focus, focus, focus. I relented a bit and gave an easy tai otoshi for ippon last time. I think (at my level) judo competition is less stressful and hard than jiu jitsu, so I took my foot off the gas thinking I was safe, and paid for it. I need to stay in the moment and have my guard up. It's only 3 minutes.

-Uchi mata. I got one ippon when my opponent stepped over my hip to block the ura nage and I switched uchi mata. I think I posted that video. That sequence is one my coach wants me to rep and institute more in my game, especially he says, as people start to realize Im an ura nage player.

OOOH also... a perfect storm of it being my coach's strongest throw, and the fact that everyone started trying to duck under my over-the-back belt grip to avoid harai has led to me practicing and scoring with makikomi a lot. I feel like I have found the dark side. Such power!! I'm not great with the terminology yet, but the 3 throws I hit to counter the duck under have been (I think) osoto maki, makikomi and sumi gaeshi with the maki grip. Jiu jitsu guys especially think they are going to take your back and get a rude, rude surprise.

My coach threw me during jiu jitsu sparring with a leg lift/footsweep that I have never even seen before. Then, next round, I can't remember what I got thrown with, but it was some kind of trip that whipped me down so hard and fast, I SMASHED my head on the mat. No attempt to break fall whatsoever. No relaxation when the throw came. I tensed, went down, head snapped bag and saw stars momentarily. Intense.

The only good part about it was that both my jiu jitsu and judo coaches afterwards told me I was clearly making a ton of progress, and it was evident that my attacks from the body lock, whether it be ura nage, back arch, whatever, were really fucking with people and causing a problem. My judo coach told me in the exchange where I hit my head that he was on step 5 of the sequence trying to get me down, which means I had defended the first 4 attacks.

I believe there is another judo tournament in Maryland in January and I plan on entering. The weight classes are broader, but I am lighter than before and may be able to drop a weight class, which would be cool considering I already felt solid and strong in the division I was in. I am trying to set some goals before the next tournament. I want to:

-Initiate more instead of resigning myself to counter-attacking. I never got a shido, but my opponents got a lot for passivity and being pushed out of bounds because I was walking forward the whole time trying to get them to push back. While it isn't a bad thing necessarily, I'd like to depend on their reaction slightly less.

-Vary the approach to my attacks. I bully for high grips, usually either an over the back belt grip, or a body lock of some sort because I want harai or ura nage. I have been working a lot of sesae, and it would be good to keep them off balance and moving by adding in more foot sweeps and such.

-Focus, focus, focus. I relented a bit and gave an easy tai otoshi for ippon last time. I think (at my level) judo competition is less stressful and hard than jiu jitsu, so I took my foot off the gas thinking I was safe, and paid for it. I need to stay in the moment and have my guard up. It's only 3 minutes.

-Uchi mata. I got one ippon when my opponent stepped over my hip to block the ura nage and I switched uchi mata. I think I posted that video. That sequence is one my coach wants me to rep and institute more in my game, especially he says, as people start to realize Im an ura nage player.
Well done, some judocas (like me) took years to get a semi decent uchi mata in randori

i still absolutely love this
giphy.gif

no complaining in Judo :D

yeah, there are no cumulative scores. you either get ippon, all the wazaris, or nothing.

the new rules are great. it was stupid leg grabs were penalized more harshly, and did not make the sport more dynamic or exciting.

i like how there are three pages that specifically clarify when it's okay to drop someone onto their head, but another page that says arm-in guillotines from guard 'endanger the neck'.

same with the bow-and-arrow: i don't think it's about grabbing the leg, i think it's about hyperextending the knee. there's a lot of leeway there.

again, none of this shit would be an issue if people cross-trained, but a lot of referees don't. it'd also be better if referees weren't so fucking overzealous. they're definitely trying to get us to back off and only intervene when necessary (blatant penalties, blatant stalling) but otherwise just let people play.

i'm personally kinda sick of hearing older folks unfamiliar with BJJ label techniques they've NEVER DONE as 'dangerous'. especially when those same techniques are done in white belt BJJ competition and nobody dies.

you know what's dangerous? throwing two white belts out there and having them throw each other ass-over-head AS HARD AS THEY CAN.

i've talked with our instructor a lot about this stuff, and we're both of the mind that we're not there to teach IJF Judo. it's silly to not teach canon judo techniques simply because somebody decided they were ILLEGAL. it's not like double legs ceased to exist. it's not like guillotines don't work. everything is unsafe if it's unfamiliar.

I just looked over the 2018 rules and couldn't believe it (maybe it was there before) - do they actually have exceptions (e.g. seoi toshi, sode tsuri komi goshi, and koshi guruma) on where "involuntary head defense" is legal? So you can legally spike someone now as long as it's accidental. I always interpreted the rules as it was up to tori to make sure the throw was safe. Only Exception would be if uke is trying to block the throw with their head. Next quadriplegic competitor should sue the IJF for this...

And we're trying to promote the same thing... good Judo. IJF rules have always been stupid and usually get worse upon revisions.

I probably was being overly general. I was referring to the no head diving rule which would result in hansokumake.

I probably was being overly general. I was referring to the no head diving rule which would result in hansokumake.
There is difference between head diving (tori) and using head for defense (uke). If I understand correctly, head diving is still penalized.
Intentional landing on the head (eg. trying to use head to stop rolling seoi-nage) is still penalized. Accidental landing on the head won't.

There is difference between head diving (tori) and using head for defense (uke). If I understand correctly, head diving is still penalized.
Intentional landing on the head (eg. trying to use head to stop rolling seoi-nage) is still penalized. Accidental landing on the head won't.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but the Explanatory guide that was posted a few pages ago shows the exceptions (with pictures). Look at slide 12-14. Previously, if it was obvious tori was doing this in a match and tori wasn't trying to either come up to complete the throw or complete the rotation before hitting the mat, I'd have given hansokumake. Now, it's taking the judgement away from the ref and explicitly saying neither uke or tori will be penalized.

http://99e89a50309ad79ff91d-082b8fd...2017-10-26_Explanatory_guide_o-1509786984.pdf

Previously, if it was obvious tori was doing this in a match and tori wasn't trying to either come up to complete the throw or complete the rotation before hitting the mat, I'd have given hansokumake.
Here is what would get tori a hansokumake:
http://www.judocrazy.com/2015/03/clear-case-of-head-dive-uchimata-for.html
Still does. Explanation for the uke head defense:

"Bridging (on the back) by uke has long resulted in ippon. But in the past year, referees having been giving hansoku-make for uke landing on the front of his head. I guess you could call this a front bridge. Now it's official: front-bridging is hansoku-make However, just because uke's head hits the mat doesn't mean it's automatically hansoku-make for uke. For throws like drop seoi-nage, drop sode and drop koshi-guruma, sometimes uke's head just hits the mat whether he likes it or not. In such cases, it's not hansoku-make"
https://www.judoinside.com/news/2370/New_IJF_Rules_for_2018_2020_analysed

Thank you for following through with that explanation. So in the example of uke front-bridging for a drop seoi-nage, it would still be hansokumake on uke, right? They're just pointing out the 3x exception throws where more incidental head contact with the mat would be expected.

Similarly, if tori grabs a lapel koshi guruma and just bulldogs uke's head into the mat, it'd still be hansokumake on tori. But I gotta say, from the pictures they included and naming exceptions, that wasn't very clear. I thought they were giving a green light on this type of practice.

the old farts are really worried some kids are gonna break their necks trying to avoid being thrown, and want to discourage the problem from the top-down.

i can understand that. it'd be hard to bring new people into a sport where people run the risk of paralyzing themselves while attempting to circumvent the rules, and that's not even mentioning the concussion risks...

but like i've said, it blows my mind that guillotine chokes 'endanger the neck', yet we've also basically said that certain throws that may spike uke onto their head/face fall under the 'eh, shit happens' category...

getting thrown ass-over-head endangers your neck. period. far more than a fucking guillotine choke.

anatomically, your head bends in that direction.

were i king, the rule would simply be "any techniques that intend to hyperextend or twist the spinal column are illegal" - no twisting neck cranks, no reverse guillotines, no twisters, no lion tamers, no atlas cranks, no can openers.

Back