Last great fight between two great fighters?

What was wrong with Canelo/Golovkin? I enjoyed that fight.

I loved it. It seems that blood and a couple of KDs, then a dramatic KO are needed for a fight to be considered 'great', though.

Dela Hoya vs Mayweather was awesome and 1 of the biggest fights ever

What was wrong with Canelo/Golovkin? I enjoyed that fight.
It was so edge of your seat. Foty material to me. The counterpunching and patient slow tempo Canelo took that kept letting GGG back into the fight was excruciating haha. One of my favorite recent fights. People being offended by the scores not all going to GGG is what puts a negative light on this fight.

It was so edge of your seat. Foty material to me. The counterpunching and patient slow tempo Canelo took that kept letting GGG back into the fight was excruciating haha. One of my favorite recent fights. People being offended by the scores not all going to GGG is what puts a negative light on this fight.
A fight doesn't need to be blood and guts to be great. 2 elite level fighters fighting each other rarely bores me. thats what I watch boxing for. Showcase fights don't do much for me anymore.

I loved it. It seems that blood and a couple of KDs, then a dramatic KO are needed for a fight to be considered 'great', though.
naw, maybe for the dilletante fans but watching a pernell whitaker is great. these guys today pose their way through twelve rounds. I said that about canelo particularly, he spent too much time trying to look cute and not enough landing punches.

naw, maybe for the dilletante fans but watching a pernell whitaker is great. these guys today pose their way through twelve rounds. I said that about canelo particularly, he spent too much time trying to look cute and not enough landing punches.

See, a guy like Pernell was great, but he actually did take some time off in fights and it basically cost him quite a few rounds in close fights. While he's clearly an ATG, he's not the epitome of an ultra focused, 100% give-it-all fighter in my book.

See, a guy like Pernell was great, but he actually did take some time off in fights and it basically cost him quite a few rounds in close fights. While he's clearly an ATG, he's not the epitome of an ultra focused, 100% give-it-all fighter in my book.
he is the epitome of fighter as artist, he couldn't really punch and i still liked watching him. Only thing that he could have done better was leave the coke alone.

Don't agree, both showed how limited they were to me.

FWIW, Pac-Marquez I & II were fucking great, too.

Top-tiddly-top tier bouts are normally fought with a bit too much caution to make them truly great, I think; too much money & too much risk to just go in there throwing everything but the kitchen sink.

The truly great fights tend to happen just a notch below the public visibility level of the top-most tier, because boxing's stupid fuckin' business model means most guys either only take appropriate risks that produce such fights when they're from a non-star background (from the Developing World or whatever) & are not yet really known on the "star stage" or if they've got past that stage then politics will mean the true "superfight" will occur when they're physically slightly past their best & can no longer produce a performance on the level of an all-time war (GGG vs Canelo, say). See also: MAB vs Morales I (utter war), compared to MAB vs Morales II (high-stakes technique duel for a shitload more money & with loads more notice taken in the media etc).

Though you can obviously get complete & utter barnburners when one or both are supposed to be on the slide but still have that star status & they just think "Fuck it, I'm gonna go for it" (MAB vs Morales III).
I believe Pac-Marquez II was FOTY. One of the first great fights I remember watching when I was getting into Boxing

It’s over 20 years ago but Lennox and real deal was awesome. How about Vasquez Marquez?

Woods vs RJJ. One mediocre talent vs perhaps the greatest fighter we have ever seen. A truly shocking upset IMO

Thats weird, I said the same thing about Pernell quite a few times.

Thats weird, I said the same thing about Pernell quite a few times.
difference is, Pernell rarely lost a round, canelo was looking cute, real cute and losing rounds, he lost that fight that's what matters.

Pacquiao's wars with Marquez, Morales, and Barrera were classics, butt my personal favorite..

I remember watching this fight with my dad in a sports bar. Very rare that I ever did that. Very rare that i ever saw him so excited. I think he loved that fight more than me.

<2>

Seriously though that fight was a gas. Huge hype... Rockin start.... Stellar finish.

I remember watching this fight with my dad in a sports bar. Very rare that I ever did that. Very rare that i ever saw him so excited. I think he loved that fight more than me.

<2>

Seriously though that fight was a gas. Huge hype... Rockin start.... Stellar finish.
Lol, yep it's a fight that'll be talked about for decades.

Chavez vs Whitaker
RJJ vs Toney
Holyifield vs Tyson
Floyd vs Corrales
Barrera vs Prince Hamed

Back