Best boxers in the UFC

I think Tony relies on being very unorthodox and puts people on the defensive with crazy kicks, clinch/td attempts and that allows him to exploit some nice punches he has. Pure boxing, I think he's behind a few guys. It's like with GSP. He has good boxing, but it works because of the other threats.

1. Conor. Say what you want about him, but everybody knows what he's going to do and nobody can stop it.
2. Gustafsson. Although not defensively as solid as he should be, he is one of the few guys that has good footwork and can trap people, coupled with a good jab and complete punching arsenal, I think he should be up there.
3. Frankie. Good clean technique, limited power but great volume and in the past years improved defence as well.
4. Cody. Necktats has good speed and power, and some nice movement as well.
5. Whittaker. Best left hook in the house, and some nice footwork as well. I feel he could improve of his variety though

This is not a ranking, just 5 guys I feel have very good boxing in the UFC.

holly-holm.jpg

I don't know about that, the other pro boxer in her division gave her a good face punching.

ap_ufc_chicago_mixed_martial_arts_83533157.jpg

I think a lot of people expect a boxer to have pristine clean technique, but guys like Naseem Hamed didn't have clean technique in the sport of boxing, but still had great strategy.

Wouldn't by this standard, you also consider the Diaz bros some of the best boxers in the UFC? I consider them pretty decent boxers btw, just trying to get you to see the extent of what you said. I don't think we'll ever see what people consider "GREAT" boxers in the UFC unless a pro moves over to MMA and has success there, but they'll eventually have to start changing their traditional boxing in order to have success, and once they do that, they're no longer "boxers" in people's eyes.

Wouldn't by this standard, you also consider the Diaz bros some of the best boxers in the UFC? I consider them pretty decent boxers btw, just trying to get you to see the extent of what you said. I don't think we'll ever see what people consider "GREAT" boxers in the UFC unless a pro moves over to MMA and has success there, but they'll eventually have to start changing their traditional boxing in order to have success, and once they do that, they're no longer "boxers" in people's eyes.

I think it definitely applies to Nate.

I mean obviously the best boxer in the UFC is technically Holly Holm, but y'know, swings and roundabouts.

I think it definitely applies to Nate.

I mean obviously the best boxer in the UFC is technically Holly Holm, but y'know, swings and roundabouts.

Really? I always saw Nick as the better boxer. Nate looks more sharp, but Nick is more effective in my opinion. Of course, this depends on which Nick shows up.

Really? I always saw Nick as the better boxer. Nate looks more sharp, but Nick is more effective in my opinion. Of course, this depends on which Nick shows up.

I think Nick is really more of a swarmer who just throws and throws and relies on his chin - which IMO isn't really boxing, it's punching. Nate on the other hand uses his jab and straight, pivots on the defence, has a check hook etc.

It's not that Nick is ineffectual as a fighter, but his approach to punching isn't really what I'd think of as boxing.

I think Nick is really more of a swarmer who just throws and throws and relies on his chin - which IMO isn't really boxing, it's punching. Nate on the other hand uses his jab and straight, pivots on the defence, has a check hook etc.

It's not that Nick is ineffectual as a fighter, but his approach to punching isn't really what I'd think of as boxing.

But that's contradicting your original statement.

"I think a lot of people expect a boxer to have pristine clean technique, but guys like Naseem Hamed didn't have clean technique in the sport of boxing, but still had great strategy."

Nick gets by on strategy instead of pristine technique. He wears people down, weathers storms, lays on his back when hurt knowing most people won't jump in his guard. And one could arguably say, the best check hook we've seen between the Diaz bros, is from Nick against Lawler. Also Nick is way more of a combination puncher who alternates body/head while Nate tends to head hunt.

But that's contradicting your original statement.

"I think a lot of people expect a boxer to have pristine clean technique, but guys like Naseem Hamed didn't have clean technique in the sport of boxing, but still had great strategy."

Nick gets by on strategy instead of pristine technique. He wears people down, weathers storms, lays on his back when hurt knowing most people won't jump in his guard. And one could arguably say, the best check hook we've seen between the Diaz bros, is from Nick against Lawler. Also Nick is way more of a combination puncher who alternates body/head while Nate tends to head hunt.

No it isn't.

"I think Nick is really more of a swarmer who just throws and throws and relies on his chin - which IMO isn't really boxing, it's punching."

That is not a comment on the cleanness of Nick's technique, it's a comment on his approach to punching. He doesn't have an awful lot in the way of defence, which is half of the game. If you were to take a fighter who approaches a forward moving pressure fighting game but does it more like a boxer, look at Rafael Dos Anjos who's head is always moving, who hand traps and strikes over the trap etc.

Also if you're talking about classic boxing terminology of boxer - puncher - counterpuncher - then Nate is the boxer of the two. Keep in mind I talked about Nate's approach, not his technique, his actual punching technique is sloppy too... all MMA fighters punching technique kind of is.

No it isn't.

"I think Nick is really more of a swarmer who just throws and throws and relies on his chin - which IMO isn't really boxing, it's punching."

That is not a comment on the cleanness of Nick's technique, it's a comment on his approach to punching. He doesn't have an awful lot in the way of defence, which is half of the game. If you were to take a fighter who approaches a forward moving pressure fighting game but does it more like a boxer, look at Rafael Dos Anjos who's head is always moving, who hand traps and strikes over the trap etc.

Also if you're talking about classic boxing terminology of boxer - puncher - counterpuncher - then Nate is the boxer of the two. Keep in mind I talked about Nate's approach, not his technique, his actual punching technique is sloppy too... all MMA fighters punching technique kind of is.

The last statement is redundant, considering they're mma fighters and not boxers. They're lucky to have existing striking game at all cosidering how grappling heavy MMA is in general, comparing them to boxers who focus 100% on boxing is unnecessary.

But to say Nick lacks a good defense. He's easily one of the fighters with the best defense in the game. Really the only guy to light him up in the peak of his career was a prime Paul Daley, and even so, it was only two big left hooks that he ate during that fight.

Nick seems hittable because strikes do touch him, but he's so good at smothering and rolling with punches, that people find it near impossible to rock him or mount an offense.

Nicks never been tooled like Nate either. All I'm saying is, that from your quoted statement, one can easily call Nick a decent boxer. As you said, it's not just about having pristine technique, it's also about having good strategy. And in my opinion, Nick has better overall fight strategies than Nate. Not to mention, I'd hardly call anyone who only head hunts a boxer, and Nick is a body head combination puncher. Nate only head hunts for the most part.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing but I'm not, just having a discussion.

Glover
Dos Santos
Holly Holm
Frankie Edgar

All of above, have great boxing.

The last statement is redundant, considering they're mma fighters and not boxers. They're lucky to have existing striking game at all cosidering how grappling heavy MMA is in general, comparing them to boxers who focus 100% on boxing is unnecessary.

But to say Nick lacks a good defense. He's easily one of the fighters with the best defense in the game. Really the only guy to light him up in the peak of his career was a prime Paul Daley, and even so, it was only two big left hooks that he ate during that fight.

Nick seems hittable because strikes do touch him, but he's so good at smothering and rolling with punches, that people find it near impossible to rock him or mount an offense.

Nicks never been tooled like Nate either. All I'm saying is, that from your quoted statement, one can easily call Nick a decent boxer. As you said, it's not just about having pristine technique, it's also about having good strategy. And in my opinion, Nick has better overall fight strategies than Nate. Not to mention, I'd hardly call anyone who only head hunts a boxer, and Nick is a body head combination puncher. Nate only head hunts for the most part.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing but I'm not, just having a discussion.

Yeah I don't agree. Nick's had some losses wear he just looked stupid, and was very nearly TKO'd by Gomi back in the day. I wouldn't say he's one of the best defensive fighters back when he fought, even early in his prime. You say that about only head hunting, but that's not really true, Nate did great work with body shots against McGregor in the rematch and wore him down with them.

Although in truth, I don't think either of them are phenomenal fighters, both solid - but I don't think either of them have ever really been the best of their division.

That's because the majority of them are grapplers dabbling into striking

I don't think that's really true anymore, now MMA is kind of its own thing that people start with.

I don't think that's really true anymore, now MMA is kind of its own thing that people start with.

Some new guys do, but I bet if you did a count the majority would be college wrestlers with no "martial arts" experiences.

id say cody nowadays as long as he doesnt over commit. I think conor has the best cross in ufc but thats due to his reach as well it would still be good with average reach but yeha being a 74 inch reach at 145-155 is quite crazy

Back