What 9mm pistol should I get?

That’s a valid counterpoint. I’d argue that the added cost is minimal if we are talking about a 50 round box of cheap 9mm FMJ vs a 20 round box of JHP designed for defensive use. We’re talking about an extra $10 to $15 that might make the difference between stopping an attacker or not.

If we’re talking about a couple of hundred dollars difference between a Hi Point and a gen 1 M&P, id make the same argument, with a cost difference of maybe a couple hundred dollars. But I wouldn’t argue with you that a couple hundred dollars is a lot of money for some, depending on your financial situation.
But you're using a Hi Point in your example.

Say I was stuck with choosing between the nice of the Springer 1911s (like one of their offerings that's right around $1000) vs a Gen 3 Glock I'd probably go with the Gen 3 as all the money I save can be used on training/ammo.

As to the second vid. I have an aftermarket barrel but it's a conversion barrel so I can shoot 9mm out of my .40 S&W Glock and I decided to splurge on an S3F one. The only other mod I have other than upgraded sites (which I think I'm going to replace cause I am struggling to pick up the front post) is a single undercut on the trigger guard cause I was tired of having my right middle finger getting ground up by the frame.

But you're using a Hi Point in your example.

Say I was stuck with choosing between the nice of the Springer 1911s (like one of their offerings that's right around $1000) vs a Gen 3 Glock I'd probably go with the Gen 3 as all the money I save can be used on training/ammo.
My post was a response to Roaming Easts post, where he is essentially saying a cheap gun you can afford is better than not buying a gun at all (correct me if I’m wrong Roaming), and I agreed with him on that.

What your talking about is another discussion entirely unrelated. If we’re talking glocks vs 1911s, the answer is usually whatever you like and/or shoot better. I’m one of the rare folks that likes both, and i own 2 glocks and a Springfield 1911 Champion Operator.

My post was a response to Roaming Easts post, where he is essentially saying a cheap gun you can afford is better than not buying a gun at all (correct me if I’m wrong Roaming), and I agreed with him on that.

What your talking about is another discussion entirely unrelated. If we’re talking glocks vs 1911s, the answer is usually whatever you like and/or shoot better. I’m one of the rare folks that likes both, and i own 2 glocks and a Springfield 1911 Champion Operator.
Fair enough.

Still though... I get there is cost restrictions for people but Hi Point? A butter knife might be better.....

All kidding aside I like what my 82nd buddy said:
"If you can't afford a Glock get something like a Taurus or the Ruger polymer guns... avoid the Hi-Points at all cost as you'll be paying the amount for a Glock if you buy the gun and have to get it fixed"

Our understanding is that Hi-Points you basically have to send in to get serviced.

Those ones I sent you? That's what I didn't like too. Get the Trijicons, imo.
The Wilson's were a bitch and a half and those ones you sent me too. I'm looking at the Trijicon HDs or the Ameriglo ones with the blacked out rear sight.

I had a convo with my friend about night sights that had me do this:
<TheWire1>

I was talking to him about how I needed to get a new set of night sights because the ones I have I couldn't pick up during the day and such and his response was:
"Do you NEED night sights though? I mean, you have a pistol light right so you aren't wearing NVGs and are you comfortable just wailing away on the trigger without identifying your target first"

Had me all:
<[analyzed}>

The Ameriglos I am talking about:

Time stamped. That's been my biggest issue with night sights... I struggle to pick them up during the day when I do most my shooting.

The Wilson's were a bitch and a half and those ones you sent me too. I'm looking at the Trijicon HDs or the Ameriglo ones with the blacked out rear sight.

I had a convo with my friend about night sights that had me do this:
<TheWire1>

I was talking to him about how I needed to get a new set of night sights because the ones I have I couldn't pick up during the day and such and his response was:
"Do you NEED night sights though? I mean, you have a pistol light right so you aren't wearing NVGs and are you comfortable just wailing away on the trigger without identifying your target first"

Had me all:
<[analyzed}>

The Ameriglos I am talking about:

Time stamped. That's been my biggest issue with night sights... I struggle to pick them up during the day when I do most my shooting.

TruGlo TFOs. I put them almost all my guns. Tritium glows well at night, and the fiber optic glows insanely bright during the day. I’ve used them a ton at outdoor steel challenge and IDPA and they are the fastest aquiring sights I’ve ever used.
Only time they lack is in twilight low light conditions, where most sights tend to wash out no matter what.

Here’s a pic of my 27 with them. Can’t tell from this pic unfortunately, but the rear is yellow, front is green.
10009368_1679952168929400_135688042_n.jpg

A defensive pistol with night sights is fundamentally superior and more versatile than one without. Batteries fail, electronics fail, tritium does not fail.

Edit: I should flesh that out a bit more: the biggest strength of night sights is being able to reliably pick up your sights on follow up shots. A weapon light and night sights are definitely a huge upgrade for someone who is concerned with ensuring their shots reliably stay on target in a low light defensive shoot.

Last edited:
TruGlo TFOs. I put them almost all my guns. Tritium glows well at night, and the fiber optic glows insanely bright during the day. I’ve used them a ton at outdoor steel challenge and IDPA and they are the fastest aquiring sights I’ve ever used.
Only time they lack is in twilight low light conditions, where most sights tend to wash out no matter what.

Here’s a pic of my 27 with them. Can’t tell from this pic unfortunately, but the rear is yellow, front is green.
10009368_1679952168929400_135688042_n.jpg
The ones he's talking about are TruGlo TFX Pros. They suck. Trijicon HDs shit all over them.

The ones he's talking about are TruGlo TFX Pros. They suck. Trijicon HDs shit all over them.
Was about to say those are the ones I got from FacePunch.

Also, frankly, I'm really wondering if I need night sights and I should just grab Ameriglo sights with fiber optic fronts.

Also, frankly, I'm really wondering if I need night sights and I should just grab Ameriglo sights with fiber optic fronts.
imo, the fiber optic is useless unless you're outside and even then it isn't consistent. For me the most important thing is a very brightly painted front sight post, so Trijicon HDs and some Ameriglos work best for me. Tritium is nice to have in low light and for finding something on the bedside table in pitch black.

Last edited:
imo, the fiber optic is useless unless you're outside and even then it isn't consistent. For me the most important thing is a very brightly painted front sight post, so Trijicon HDs and some Ameriglos work best for me. Tritium is nice to have in low light and for finding something on the bedside table in pitch black.

Second that, fiber optic sucks.

Another thing about tritium sights is that at night in my dark as fuck room I can see my gun (well the sights) easily in my nightstand drawer because of them.

Not sure if that matters for some but it helps me quickly find the gun in the dark.

got meprolight tritium sights on nearly handgun i own.

Another thing about tritium sights is that at night in my dark as fuck room I can see my gun (well the sights) easily in my nightstand drawer because of them.

Not sure if that matters for some but it helps me quickly find the gun in the dark.
my wife found that out one day. hung my holster belt up on the bed post one night. few hours later she is poking me asking wtf the little glowly lights staring at us from across the bed were.

As to the second vid. I have an aftermarket barrel but it's a conversion barrel so I can shoot 9mm out of my .40 S&W Glock and I decided to splurge on an S3F one. The only other mod I have other than upgraded sites (which I think I'm going to replace cause I am struggling to pick up the front post) is a single undercut on the trigger guard cause I was tired of having my right middle finger getting ground up by the frame.

Polymer rod melted down at around 800 rounds or so. With a metal rod it goes to around 1600 rounds -it outlasts the AK-47 (he torture tests one in a different video) which locked up at close to 900 rounds. At the end of this video he realizes something in the trigger melted and jammed it up, after clearing that he puts it back together and the Glock keeps going lol.

<TheWire1>

Polymer rod melted down at around 800 rounds or so. With a metal rod it goes to around 1600 rounds -it outlasts the AK-47 (he torture tests one in a different video) which locked up at close to 900 rounds. At the end of this video he realizes something in the trigger melted and jammed it up, after clearing that he puts it back together and the Glock keeps going lol.

<TheWire1>

How guys you know shooting a G18 though

How guys you know shooting a G18 though

It's just food for thought. I'm a Beretta guy myself (Glocks are srs business tho)

Any way you want to slice it, Glock may be p4p the most reliable gun you can have on you in a fight. Even the AK has to tip its cap.

Also, his AR video is pretty impressive too -the barrel goes on the AR at just over 800 rounds. And the AK still shoots while it's on fucking fire lol.

All 3 of these guns are impressive in their own right.

It's just food for thought. I'm a Beretta guy myself (Glocks are srs business tho)

Any way you want to slice it, Glock may be p4p the most reliable gun you can have on you in a fight. Even the AK has to tip its cap.

Also, his AR video is pretty impressive too -the barrel goes on the AR at just over 800 rounds. And the AK still shoots while it's on fucking fire lol.

All 3 of these guns are impressive in their own right.
Love IV8888

Back