The Magical Jabs

It's a lost approach to jabbing that has only recently been found again. Most jabs taught now the MAIN focus is from the waist up.

could illustrate, I mean name a fighter old timer and fight or better, if have time, post some animation ...
By description, I 'd imagine something like spear jab or long uppercut

Looks like Quartey's jab wasn't THAT successful in this fight despite the final result.
Was it due to a distance that was too close or due to the tempo that was too high ? Anything else ?

Vince Phillips was a Hell of a fighter, and vastly underrated Historically.

First things first is Vince was catching Ike's jab, and establishing a false target. Ike wasn't used to not landing his jab. Vince was also changing levels to jab to the body under Ike's jab. Ike's answer was incorrect, to jab DOWNWARD, with no leverage. Vince was also pressuring Ike in the first round, Ike wasn't used to being the bullIED. He was used to being the bullY.

Basically Vince did everything he could to get Ike jabbing at the wrong targets, at the wrong times, and from the wrong distance.

About the pressure/distance/volume - I also paid attention to it.

What do you mean by a false target ? Also what do you think Ike should have done to deal with the body jab better ?

When you jab at the glove instead of the face. There's a few answers to body jabs, you can catch it with the right elbow and counter with a low hook (as if to the body)...you can side-step, you can pull your hips back for a second then step in with a counter, or you can pivot to get an angle to attack WHILE they recover.

reading this reminds me how little i know of boxing, great stuff though. i have only recently discovered how ordinary my jab actually is. no variation and always full power. i'm trying to improve it but speed isn't exactly a strong suit of mine and i have throw it in a really basic manner for way to long.

Nice! This reminds of how I wish we'd of seen Quartey vs Trinidad.

My coach used to have a thing against guys who can't figure out how to throw a solid jab without somehow telegraphing it just barely with their feet, usually a lead foot tap or twitch kind of tick, or a habitual head bob to the same side before every throw, but if you do, then until you fix it make damn sure you hide the chin tucked into the shoulder of the lead arm during the jab, so the bottom of your chin can still hide from counter hooks and crosses and you take a punch instead of taking one like Forrest going down against Anderson.

Sure that's just common knowledge to anyone who trained, but I loved learning those strange insights from experienced boxers who show me just how it is a complex science that rookies just haven't developed the keen eyes toward yet.

Also been fascinated by guys who can throw a straight cross just as fast as the jab, and sometimes lead with it. Think it may have been Tyson griffin who did that repeatedly one fight from over a decade ago. Awesome way to keep the other guy honest in his anticipation and commitment to counters

Check out these sick jabs that caught my eye in this random youtube vid...Looked like he ko'd the first guy..For some reason i can't see youtube imbeds etc on this site anymore so hopefully its there if not lemme know...Just skip to exactly 3:44...

Bro that was sick, he just did the Anderson vs Forrest ko, twice to 2 dudes in seconds!!

Check out these sick jabs that caught my eye in this random youtube vid...Looked like he ko'd the first guy..For some reason i can't see youtube imbeds etc on this site anymore so hopefully its there if not lemme know...Just skip to exactly 3:44...

Bro that was sick, he just did the Anderson vs Forrest ko, twice to 2 dudes in seconds!!

<JagsKiddingMe>

In a technical thread about jabs ???
Seriously ???

For those who actually keep up with MMA has anyone ever put on Wlad-esque jab clinic in MMA? Seems so obvious; especially at HW.

For those who actually keep up with MMA has anyone ever put on Wlad-esque jab clinic in MMA? Seems so obvious; especially at HW.
Justin Ledet vs Zu Anyanwu in the UFC not too long ago. Pretty much beat him with just the jab

Back