How come Carson Wentz, and Jimmy Garappolo did not attend big time FB schools

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
How come Carson Wentz, and Jimmy Garappolo were not recruited to big time schools to play?

Carson has been lighting it up, everyone is high on Garappolo after like 2 games.

Carson is 6'5", and Garappolo is tall enough. They obviously have arm strength, and field vision. Why big time colleges not see this?

Brady was never a starter. Tebow was a college god. QB position makes very little sense.

It's highly informed gambling.

QB is by far the hardest position in American sports to evaluate. If you don't go to a powerhouse high school in 4a or 5a it makes it even harder to get noticed by a D1 college. IMO the most important qualities a qb can have are intelligence and work ethic (even though wentz clearly has amazing physical gifts)... extremely hard to judge in an 18 year old.

just check out the schools of many NFL starters and you'll find many are from non-traditional football powers. If everything was determined in high school, you wouldn't have any of these guys in the NFL never mind the hall of Fame.

There are 3 players from Texas A&I in the football HOF.

Joe Montana might have gone to Notre Dame but he was 7th on the depth chart. So the coaches at Notre Dame thought that there were 6 guys better than him on the team !?!?!?

More importantly why did both tony gwynn and marshall faulk go to my alma mater, sdsu?

How come Carson Wentz, and Jimmy Garappolo were not recruited to big time schools to play?

Carson has been lighting it up, everyone is high on Garappolo after like 2 games.

Carson is 6'5", and Garappolo is tall enough. They obviously have arm strength, and field vision. Why big time colleges not see this?

Don't tell the people at North Dakota State that they aren't a big time school. Many players who aren't in Florida or Texas get overlooked. Small town kids in little known schools best chance is to go to college in the state they live in.

Aaron Rodgers had to go to a JC. His only D1 offer was a chance to compete for a walk-on spot at Illinois.

Wentz really only played for a year and a half in college. He started his junior year. 5 or 6 games into his senior year he broke his hand (IIRC) and didn't come back until the championship game.
And he played HS football at a ND high school, there's only about 45 Class A schools in ND. The rest are 9 man. It's not exactly the hot spot for talent.
The only other QB I can recall that came from ND was Bollinger.

Don't tell the people at North Dakota State that they aren't a big time school. Many players who aren't in Florida or Texas get overlooked. Small town kids in little known schools best chance is to go to college in the state they live in.
A lot of the NDSU guys are from ND, MN, and WI. It's working so far, they're 5-1 in the past 6 years for FCS championships. They're in the championship game again this year and should win easily.

Wentz really only played for a year and a half in college. He started his junior year. 5 or 6 games into his senior year he broke his hand (IIRC) and didn't come back until the championship game.
And he played HS football at a ND high school, there's only about 45 Class A schools in ND. The rest are 9 man. It's not exactly the hot spot for talent.

True but you have D1A schools that are not traditional powerhouses nearby like UMinn, Wyoming, Utah State. I am sure those guys are killing themselves for not finding him, especially UMinn.

True but you have D1A schools that are not traditional powerhouses nearby like UMinn, Wyoming, Utah State. I am sure those guys are killing themselves for not finding him, especially UMinn.
Recruiting from a ND high school is a tough one. There's a lot of tiny schools so if 1 person stands out, it's hard to tell if they're going to be a star or everybody else sucks and the person is just mediocre. We don't have the talent in HS football like Texas or other places down south because their's not that many people here. There's some smaller college football teams around here that I guarantee would get stomped by someone like Midlands JV football team.
Wyomings coach, Craig Bohl, was NDSU's coach when they first started their championship run. He took almost the whole staff with him, and some players but NDSU is still winning championships.

Last edited:
Great weather perhaps.
i think Gwynn chose it b/c he was allowed to play basketball and baseball (actually was drafted in the later rounds by then San Diego Clippers)

Faulk I have no clue, he's from Louisiana and was also a track star. In his second game as a true freshman, he had 386 yards and 7 tds....2 time AA and 3 time Heisman Finalist out of SDSU. Larry Ned, Ronnie HIllman or Michael Pittman's brother Wayne I understand, but a guy that good?

Faulk I have no clue, he's from Louisiana and was also a track star. t out of SDSU.

SDSU was one of the only schools to offer him a chance at RB. Nebraska wanted him on defense.

Can you imagine how many titles Nebraska would have had with Faulk on the Nebraska '91-'94?

A lot of the NDSU guys are from ND, MN, and WI. It's working so far, they're 5-1 in the past 6 years for FCS championships. They're in the championship game again this year and should win easily.

Didn't they lose 2 running backs to injury?

A lot of time these big time schools factor the quarterback's size as well. I can only speak on Garappolo. He was skipped on by a few big time FB schools because he's slightly undersized for a QB.

Back