Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

With AR's at <10 yards and pistols at 9 feet? Honestly I feel like you would have to try to do that. Especially with the AR's that have slight magnification and crystal clear glass.

That is not confidence inspiring. Honestly, until they can show a certain level of proficiency with a gun they shouldn't be issued one.
I read and enjoyed a saying once that went like, "Not everyone should have guns, not everyone should get badges, but sometimes there are those who end up with both."

I went out moose hunting but didnt see anything, I just carried my kimber montana 308 around for awhile. Still eating my caribou though.

Pistols at 10, 15 and 25 yards. 600 rounds.

2CFNXIM.jpg

GHbZa22.jpg

Dueling tree works great, this was only after a few mags. Just wanted to check out the target to make sure everything was good.

April 14th in Wisconsin and it fucking snowed 12" on my ass

Fuck this shit. I got my AR with new sightmark red dot sight sighted in at 50 yards end of March on a beautiful 55 degree day. I want to get out and get better with it from more than just a bench, and also start working on my 7mm rem mag groupings now. I had issues last year with recoil anticipation and researched this winter and have new strategies and drills for it

Fuck Wisconsin "spring"

Fuck this shit. I got my AR with new sightmark red dot sight sighted in at 50 yards end of March on a beautiful 55 degree day. I want to get out and get better with it from more than just a bench, and also start working on my 7mm rem mag groupings now. I had issues last year with recoil anticipation and researched this winter and have new strategies and drills for it

Fuck Wisconsin "spring"

It was 98 here a couple days ago. I'd love a 1' of snow.

Fuck Wisconsin "spring"
Dude, there's also still snow on the ground in Southern Saskatchewan. Since I can't bring my car our yet, I'm buying gear and maps for next hunting season. Yeah, this belongs in the "next purchase" thread, but whatever.

Edit: to make it relevant to the thread, I have been shooting my bow more often, now that my new sight is in. I've been fighting with tendonitis since before Christmas, so I had to turn that bitch down to like 64 lbs.

I whacked a hog this weekend.

No not a Texas hog,
fat-mexican-woman.jpg

You know, a Hog hog.
36-09-2016.jpg

today was 'revolver day' as far as my shooting partner was concerned. Ruger Vaquero's in .38/357, Blackhawk in .45LC and damn Ruger .454 that ill be happy to not have to shoot again. finally got my vortex VMX-3t magnifier to sit behind my eotech.

250rds of 9mm (Sig P320) and 75rds of 12g (Mossberg 500) at the range this morning. Fun start to the day. Worked on shotgun to pistol transitions, shotgun reloading while still shouldered and on target. Also started working on shotgun to pistol and blind loading shotgun from slung position while using pistol for cover with the other then back to shotgun.

Aside from pinpointing more areas to work on with dry fire practice I got a reminder why slacking off on upper body strength training for an extended time isn't wise. After while that Mossberg was getting fairly heavy, especially holding it up shouldered and on target one handed while loading with the other. Good stuff though.

Hit the range with my 308 topped with the nightforce shv 3-10, mounted it with nightforce ultra light rings on a Talley 20moa rail. Was banging steel out st 600yds with 150g Barnes ttsx.

Hit the range with my 308 topped with the nightforce shv 3-10, mounted it with nightforce ultra light rings on a Talley 20moa rail. Was banging steel out st 600yds with 150g Barnes ttsx.

What size steel?

Dude, there's also still snow on the ground in Southern Saskatchewan. Since I can't bring my car our yet, I'm buying gear and maps for next hunting season. Yeah, this belongs in the "next purchase" thread, but whatever.

Edit: to make it relevant to the thread, I have been shooting my bow more often, now that my new sight is in. I've been fighting with tendonitis since before Christmas, so I had to turn that bitch down to like 64 lbs.

What are you going to be hunting and what weight are you going to shoot your bow at? I’ve actually ended up going to 70lbs lately, I used to shoot at 80.

What are you going to be hunting and what weight are you going to shoot your bow at? I’ve actually ended up going to 70lbs lately, I used to shoot at 80.
Mule deer, I plan to shoot 70 lbs, but it's a slow climb with the tendonitis that seems like it's come from out of nowhere.

Mule deer, I plan to shoot 70 lbs, but it's a slow climb with the tendonitis that seems like it's come from out of nowhere.

Have you been out scouting for monster mulies? Back when I hunted those things down in New Mexico and Colorado, I used to put so many damn hours in the units I planned to hunt and pretty much knew what deer I was after by the time the season started. In fact mike deer are why I got into archery (and muzzleloader) so I could have a longer season than the general rifle season.

Have you been out scouting for monster mulies? Back when I hunted those things down in New Mexico and Colorado, I used to put so many damn hours in the units I planned to hunt and pretty much knew what deer I was after by the time the season started. In fact mike deer are why I got into archery (and muzzleloader) so I could have a longer season than the general rifle season.
Not yet, I will be scouting my Supt's property later this summer. I have topo maps of the area and a good compass and am working on land navigation.

@bushman505, the ticks out here have really been fucking with my practice and almost killing my sense of adventure, lol. Back to the basement; my 20 and 30 yard pins are good-to-go, so while the ticks are still out, I'll go back to working on increasing my draw weight. I'll set the other pins later this summer, when there aren't so many ticks.

Also, I'm learning to better tune my bow. I used a third party website to download the manufacturers' tutorial videos onto my phone, so now I always have access to them.

@bushman505, the ticks out here have really been fucking with my practice and almost killing my sense of adventure, lol. Back to the basement; my 20 and 30 yard pins are good-to-go, so while the ticks are still out, I'll go back to working on increasing my draw weight. I'll set the other pins later this summer, when there aren't so many ticks.

Also, I'm learning to better tune my bow. I used a third party website to download the manufacturers' tutorial videos onto my phone, so now I always have access to them.

Have you looked into treating your clothes with permethrin? That’s what I always used to do when tics were a problem, I fucking hate those things but that stuff does a good job of keeping them away, also a pair of gators keeps them from getting in your boots.

One thing I’ll tell you about increasing draw weight and training for it is to make sure you build muscle in both of your shoulders to avoid an imbalance I actually keep a left handed bow around and it’s like 50-60 lbs and I use a “non release” release so when I’m firing 200 arrows a day getting ready for the season, I make sure to do at least 50% of the pulls I do with my right on my left as well, that helped me a ton. I just bought a cheap used left hand bow for that, also pull-ups and chin ups always kept my shoulders healthy when pulling 80+lb bows.

As far as tuning your own bow, shit yeah that’s a good idea, get a bow press and keep some strings and extra parts so you can quickly adjust that thing without having to go into town and pay somebody to do it, awesome investment.

Have you looked into treating your clothes with permethrin? That’s what I always used to do when tics were a problem, I fucking hate those things but that stuff does a good job of keeping them away, also a pair of gators keeps them from getting in your boots.

One thing I’ll tell you about increasing draw weight and training for it is to make sure you build muscle in both of your shoulders to avoid an imbalance I actually keep a left handed bow around and it’s like 50-60 lbs and I use a “non release” release so when I’m firing 200 arrows a day getting ready for the season, I make sure to do at least 50% of the pulls I do with my right on my left as well, that helped me a ton. I just bought a cheap used left hand bow for that, also pull-ups and chin ups always kept my shoulders healthy when pulling 80+lb bows.

As far as tuning your own bow, shit yeah that’s a good idea, get a bow press and keep some strings and extra parts so you can quickly adjust that thing without having to go into town and pay somebody to do it, awesome investment.
I looked into permethrin, looks like it's not approved for use by Health Canada. Might have to go the essential oils route for me and my dogs.

My bow was kinda designed to be very user serviceable, there's quite a bit of a learning curve to it, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

https://www.apaarchery.com/technical-videos

Now that I've downloaded all the appropriate videos for my bow, I'm more involved in tuning it myself.

Back