Official Judo Thread

the old farts are really worried some kids are gonna break their necks trying to avoid being thrown, and want to discourage the problem from the top-down.

i can understand that. it'd be hard to bring new people into a sport where people run the risk of paralyzing themselves while attempting to circumvent the rules, and that's not even mentioning the concussion risks...

but like i've said, it blows my mind that guillotine chokes 'endanger the neck', yet we've also basically said that certain throws that may spike uke onto their head/face fall under the 'eh, shit happens' category...

getting thrown ass-over-head endangers your neck. period. far more than a fucking guillotine choke.

anatomically, your head bends in that direction.

were i king, the rule would simply be "any techniques that intend to hyperextend or twist the spinal column are illegal" - no twisting neck cranks, no reverse guillotines, no twisters, no lion tamers, no atlas cranks, no can openers.

I dunno, for sure guillotines put pressure on your neck. It's not as dangerous or sudden, but certainly someone going 100% in contest can make something happen. Not to mention size disparity. Heck, I thought my face was going to get crushed under one big white belt's failed guillotine.

Plus, having a neck injury, I often get pain whenever put there. Sometimes I can even feel something shift.

I don't mind it being banned in Judo but okay in BJJ. Let's face it... people in Judo generally are less precise in newaza technique but go 100%.

that's fair. guillotines don't tickle. i still think the potential for injury is less severe than with something like drop sode or stumbling off the apex of a headlock throw.

Had a little grudge match this weekend with a guy that rubbed my team wrong by heckling fighters at a super fight card a month ago. Went up from middle heavy to ultra heavy to get a match with him and thought for sure I was about to harai him, when he threw himself into kosoto and air mailed me. I ended up recovering and land sliding him on points while standing on him like a surfboard, but damn that throw was a little embarrassing.

Everyone else pulled guard on me.

if you like humble pie, Judo and BJJ are delicious, all-you-can eat buffets.

Studying it now. I actually feel like I had a good off balance, but I think I was hopping towards Osoto rather than committing hard to the Harai. If I hipped in, I think I would have thrown him, but the hesitation allowed him to set a body lock, plant and reverse the momentum. He really threw his weight between my legs (30+ lb difference between us) and the main thing was his right foot blocking mine, which I think really sent me flying. Curious to hear what the better judokas in this thread think about it. A break fall would have been nice, I landed on the point of my elbow and it is pretty bruised up and tender, a little swollen right now.

Anyways, this is how the match started:

This is how the match ended:

Harai goshi needs an initial bump to work, whether it's traditional kuzushi with the hands or some hip bump or hopping as you mentioned. You put your foot up without any of them. Neither hand was doing any work either, and I think normally you would have used the belt grip, but notice his belt slid up so it was like no grip at all.

So did you stand up on him completely like you were surfing? That would be awesome.

Never stood up fully. Time ran out unfortunately. I just kind of surfed him from there for awhile and kept him smashed into a ball. Hopefully he took away a lesson in etiquette for the future.

It looked like you might have had a good position, but got stuck somewhere between o soto and harai goshi. I think hesitation is the worst thing that can happen when standing.

If you ended up getting the better of him though, I'm glad.

That's a good point, I was definitely trying to "hop" into Osoto to feel it out, and maybe i can't help but wonder what would have happened if I committed to one or the other. I watched it frame by frame in slow motion and I felt I had enough kuzushi that I should have been able to throw him despite the mechanical problems setting it up.

That's a good point, I was definitely trying to "hop" into Osoto to feel it out, and maybe i can't help but wonder what would have happened if I committed to one or the other. I watched it frame by frame in slow motion and I felt I had enough kuzushi that I should have been able to throw him despite the mechanical problems setting it up.

Nice gif. This is a difficult position. With hindsight you can definitely say that this was a commitment issue. You didn't generate enough kuzushi and once entered you can see his fulcrum is lower than your potential fulcrum, he's obviously going to get the throw. So how would you generate more kuzushi? Instead of jumping into him, jump out past him which extends him a bit and breaks his kuzushi. That and don't "muscle" a throw... "explode" into it like a coiled spring being released. An opponent should not be able to stop your forward momentum.

However, that's easy to say from a Judo perspective. In Judo if you over-commit and fail to throw, you go face down without too much penalty. In BJJ, you just got your back taken.

Nothing wrong with the kuzushi etc. Just not the right opportunity for that throw. His weight is backwards and towards you which is the exact opposite of what you need for a Harris goshi. (Forward and away)

Merry Christmas, you swines. I hope some of you receive some sweet gis or personalised belts. I got some more finger tape.

Merry Christmas, you swines. I hope some of you receive some sweet gis or personalised belts. I got some more finger tape.
Merry Christmas! I didn't get anything for Christmas related to judo specifically, but I did just earn my nikyu. When my belt actually shows up, I'll call it a Christmas gift.

Kenny coulda corked that one out if he'd gotten his shoulders turned. It was a little reachy, but just a bit more bump before the entry would've sent the throw for sure.

Are there advantage points for surfing? Because there should be.

Quick tricky question: How good is Shohei Ono ground game?

I've watched a few of his highlight videos but they don't show too much of his newaza unfortunately. IMO he's one of the best and most dynamic who always goes for ippon.

I've watched a few of his highlight videos but they don't show too much of his newaza unfortunately. IMO he's one of the best and most dynamic who always goes for ippon.
Exactly. He is so good in the stand up that we can't see his newaza.

Nothing new I can say to you but Osoto is my favorite technique and maybe the base leg had to advance a little bit more or change to harai, as you noted, against bigger and/or stronger guys hesitation is a mistake.
You´re brave, guy looked strong.

New year's resolutions for judo?

I'd just like to sort out my work hours and get down to training.

Back