Traveling in Vietnam (Update)

I was but now I'm in ESL and translating/interpretation. I'm basically doing ESL because I can't get enough translating work
Doesn't the regular marketing stuff pay alot better?

..are ladyboys as prevalent in Vietnam?
I dunno, never been there

I was reading that 25% recently born Korean's have foreign mothers and native fathers.
I know a lot of the men in rural areas are getting mail-order bribes from SEA and Eastern Europe but didn't think the numbers would be that high.

Doesn't the regular marketing stuff pay alot better?

I dunno, never been there

Yes but I quit because I couldn't stand the corporate world. Sitting in a gray office all day made me want to blow my brains out. Plus I wouldn't have the freedom I do now.

I went to high school next to a Vietnamese enclave and most of the best students in the school were Vietnamese.

Lots of them are attractive and they're smart but somehow talking to most of them was like talking to a wall. How you can mix a genius level IQ while still being completely vapid and not having a single thought for yourself amazes me. Of course I was absolutely in love with the one who wasn't like that but she didn't share those feelings. :/

Two of my best friends are Vietnamese. Very hard working and their success is due to their parents who taught them that anything is possible in America.

After the fall of Saigon most Vietnamese went to California, Louisiana and Texas. We have a large Vietnamese community here in New Orleans.

I know a lot of the men in rural areas are getting mail-order bribes from SEA and Eastern Europe but didn't think the numbers would be that high.

Yes but I quit because I couldn't stand the corporate world. Sitting in a gray office all day made me want to blow my brains out. Plus I wouldn't have the freedom I do now.
I hear ya, freelancing is normal in this field, I'm in IT, but work at a small marketing agency right now. I will admit, career wise its good, the constant projects and tight deadlines will improve your career by alot. Its like camp for your career.

Guess I was way off but I could almost swear I've read that statistic.

http://www.businessinsider.com/south-koreans-could-be-extinct-by-2750-2015-6
However, there is another factor to consider: "mixed ethnic families" — in which one parent is Korean (usually the father) and the other is not (usually the mother, from China, Vietnam or the Philippines).

Notably, the birthrate for children of immigrant mothers is higher than that of native Korean women. The number of school-age children from "mixed ethnic families" went up seven times from 2014 to 2006, and t he number of adolescents from "mixed ethnic families" increased by 21% from 2013 to 2014.

As Katharine H.S. Moon writes for Brookings:

The face of the homogeneous South Korea we once knew is literally changing before our eyes as hundreds of thousands of foreign-born women marry Korean men and become Korean citizens and their multiracial/multi-ethnic children increase in numbers. An estimated third of all children born in 2020 (1.67 million) are expected to be of part Korean and part other Asian descent ("Kosian"), composing 3.3% of the total population. By 2020 and 2030 respectively, an estimated 5% and 10% of the South Korean population will be composed of foreign-born and immigrant families.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/world/asia/29babies.html
The surge in births of mixed children is the product of the similarly explosive growth here in marriages to foreigners, as a surplus of bachelors and the movement of eligible women to big cities like Seoul have increasingly driven Korean men in rural areas to seek brides in poorer parts of Asia. In addition, a preference for male babies has helped skew the population so there are fewer native-born women to marry. The Ministry of Public Security says the total number of children from what are called multicultural families in South Korea rose to 107,689 in May of this year from 58,007 last December, though the ministry said it might have slightly undercounted last year.

That is only about 1 percent of the approximately 12 million children in South Korea under the age of 19. But if marriages to foreigners continue to increase at their current rate — they accounted for 11 percent of all marriages here last year — more than one in nine children could be of mixed background by 2020, demographic researchers say.

The trend is even more pronounced in rural areas, where most of these marriages take place. Among farming households, 49 percent of all children will be multicultural by 2020, according to the Agricultural Ministry.

Got my ticket to Hanoi. Staying there for a week. Other than Halong Bay and the Hanoi city itself, what is else there to do around the area?

I wanted to go to Danang and Hoi An but it's too far.

Got my ticket to Hanoi. Staying there for a week. Other than Halong Bay and the Hanoi city itself, what is else there to do around the area?

I wanted to go to Danang and Hoi An but it's too far.

Spent months in Vietnam years ago loved it.

Hanoi is a shit hole. Really didnt like that city. A week is way to long

IMO further South you go the better it gets Hue is amazing if you can get there. Old imperial capital, castles and shit everywhere and a good party scene.

Hoi An is one of my favorites.

ho chi minh city has some intersting things clsoe by (Vietnam War related)

Also look into going to Cambodia.

Spent months in Vietnam years ago loved it.

Hanoi is a shit hole. Really didnt like that city. A week is way to long

IMO further South you go the better it gets Hue is amazing if you can get there. Old imperial capital, castles and shit everywhere and a good party scene.

Hoi An is one of my favorites.

ho chi minh city has some intersting things clsoe by (Vietnam War related)

Also look into going to Cambodia.

The reason I looked into Hanoi is because two of my friends who spent the better half of a year traveling asia told me Hanoi was their favorite city by far. So a lot of direct flights from Korea to Hanoi. Another option of Danang but I heard it's very touristy and flights are even more expensive due to it being a popular spot for Koreans.

After my experience, I'll have to decide if I want to visit Vietnam again to check out the south.

The reason I looked into Hanoi is because two of my friends who spent the better half of a year traveling asia told me Hanoi was their favorite city by far. So a lot of direct flights from Korea to Hanoi. Another option of Danang but I heard it's very touristy and flights are even more expensive due to it being a popular spot for Koreans.

After my experience, I'll have to decide if I want to visit Vietnam again to check out the south.

Hanoi is just a big city with no real "awesome" features worth checking out imo. Use it as a gateway for Halong Bay and Sappa but besides that its just meh.

Way better places in the country.

<KingstonFrown>

Had few vietnames housemates once. Nice people but they nearly drove me insane.

Their language is one of the worst sounding one I ever heard in my whole life.

Hanoi is just a big city with no real "awesome" features worth checking out imo. Use it as a gateway for Halong Bay and Sappa but besides that its just meh.

Way better places in the country.

Oh well, it's too late to change it now. I didn't know about Sappa though so I'll look into that.
What are some good places you recommend though? Like bars or restaurants? Do you think it's relatively safe there?

Oh well, it's too late to change it now. I didn't know about Sappa though so I'll look into that.
What are some good places you recommend though? Like bars or restaurants? Do you think it's relatively safe there?

I will say DONT walk past government buildings at night, heavily armed guards do not like it. I had to bribe my way out of it because according to them they could of arrested me (probably a scam but I wasnt going to argue with a dude in military clothing carrying an AK47).

An specifics, hmmm been WAY to long to remember exact places but french quarter is ok for food. an it wont be hard to find a bar theres a lot.

Go to Madam Tuyets restaurant in Hanoi. Amazing food. It’s like eating in someone’s dining room. Get the steamed fish plate for sure and the glazed chicken takes 45 minutes to cook so you need to order it when you sit down. Everything we ordered was great.

Back