Anybody doing/did stronglift 5x5?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I just downloaded the Strong Lift 5x5 app on my phone.. I like how it tells you how long to rest and tracks your progress. Might try this for a few months.. anybody doing it? Im a skinny newb

It's a linear novice program. There are only minor differences between them. Do it until it stops working.

on it now (second try after years ago). its more fun than grueling long reps. I supplement it with pullups (my # 1 exercise for strength along with DLs) and dips, at least in the beginning stages when weights aren't as heavy.

It’s decent, you will get stronger quickly and not waste too much time in the gym

I moved to 3x5 after that, I’m now on 3x3 after 2years lifting regularly

My bench still sucks tho :(

I’ve been doing SL since October. 2x/week instead of 3x works better for me with my BJJ and conditioning schedule. Seems like a nice way to get to “advanced beginner/intermediate” strength levels before moving on to other protocols with less volume.

I love it. Noticed the biggest difference in my deadlift weirdly enough considering the programing only has one set a week. My DL went from 220 to 265 in about 4 months.

as far as i know the 5x5 routine goes this:

3 times a week

day1 : squat, bench press, barbell row

day2 : squat, overhead Press, deadlift

day3: squat, bench press, barbell row

i don't get how that supposed to hit the rest of muscles?
where is biceps/triceps/incline bench,etc? do you guys work them in the non lifting days?

Last edited:

3 times a week

where is biceps/triceps/incline bench,etc? do you guys work them in the non lifting days?
No you dont do accessory lifts. Its a bit of a minimalist program. Its a full body routine. Its really great for guys that are training for sports on top of weight lifting.

No you dont do accessory lifts. Its a bit of a minimalist program. Its a full body routine. Its really great for guys that are training for sports on top of weight lifting.

if i followed that program for 3 months, it means 3 months without targeting arms directly, like for example 3 months without no biceps curls at all and expect it to grow?

what if i made one of the 4 non-lifting days as arm day( both biceps/triceps), will it be overtraining?

if i followed that program for 3 months, it means 3 months without targeting arms directly, like for example 3 months without no biceps curls at all and expect it to grow?

what if i made one of the 4 non-lifting days as arm day( both biceps/triceps), will it be overtraining?
Depends on how you feel. I do an 1-2 accessory lifts after the prescribed program. It doesn't hurt. I also do this when I'm in camp. So even with the volume of skill-work, conditioning, cardio. I still don't feel the extra accessory work ruins anything.

But if you're done after the main lifts and don't have much more, then yeah don't do it

3 times a week

Lol.

It’s decent, you will get stronger quickly and not waste too much time in the gym

I moved to 3x5 after that, I’m now on 3x3 after 2years lifting regularly

My bench still sucks tho :(

Mark Bell has some good tips in regards to benching. I was the same, my overhead press was catching up to my bench press(Strict OHP max was at 255 and my bench was at 280 at the time)...It was that bad.
I was strong, great at pushing shit around...But laying flat on a bench and pushing the bar felt awkward and always left me with pain in my shoulders. Lack of technique mostly, and recurring shoulder injuries on the left made it difficult. Now I bench with zero shoulder pain.

Started back low at 200lbs, and worked up to 300 in a matter of months. Now I'm brushing 390, so his tips really helped a ton.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-super-strong-guy-how-can-i-increase-my-bench.html

Eventually yes, your off-day training will affect your main training days.

Your arms will be worked when you do bench, OHP, and rows. You could add chins to make it more "complete". You aren't isolating arms, shoulders etc but the flip side is that you are loading then with more weight than you could with an isolation exercise.

The program is about strength, not building a balanced physique. You will get stronger, and your arms will grow plenty.

The program is about strength, not building a balanced physique. You will get stronger, and your arms will grow plenty.

They kinda won't tho. It's an okay program to run until you stall, but the way SL handles stalling is really, really bad.

It works but I prefer Starting strength. Sometimes 5x5 3x a week can be alot if you say work a physical job. 5x5 is good to start with. You will see gains pretty quick.

Make a log on here. Keep track of your workouts, as well as maxes and body weight. Post form check videos. Get bigger and stronger and profit!

Do 5x5 as prescribed. Its main intention is to get you used to the movements and to give you some strength. It is not the be all and end all of training programs. Its a good one for people to start with, especially people who have a hard time focusing on something. Just do as your told and milk the gains.

At some point you won't be able to continue to add weight. At this time you can start to manipulate intensities (sets x reps). I recommend Madcow for that. Its a variation of 5x5. Otherwise there are tons of easy to follow regimes that every Tom's dick is hairy with an Instagram account puts out that you can follow.

If I were to do it all over again, as a 6'2" 155 Lbs Noob, I would have done more BB style first. Then moved to sets of 5. But I don't know anything so there's that too.

3 times a week

5x5 is a strength training program, not a body building program. The primary purpose is to introduce you to the 3 power lifting lifts. Dead, squat and bench. It is not for you to build body symmetry or whatever. Row and overhead are kind of "accessory" exercises and you do 1 of them every work out.

I started with 5x5. Would highly recommend if your primary goal of working out is to get strong. At 200lb body weight I went from 185lb to 300lb squats. 125lb to 275lb dead lift. 150lb to 205lb bench press. All this in the course of about a year. I eventually moved to 3x5 and madcow. I also didn't adhere to the program correctly, you're supposed to alternate workout sessions every week. I benched 2x a week, every week instead of alternating the OHP day. That's why my deadlift is so bad.

Mine really didn't. My biceps at one point started looking like I did't train at all which is really frustrating to say the least.

Back