5+ Star Matches

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now that Meltzer has broken his own scale that existed for 25 years by giving out 6 Star matches to Omega and Okada, I think he should retroactively add stars to deserving matches of the past to even things out.

I think the easiest one is Hart Austin at Wrestlemania 13. It didn’t have a million crazy spots, but it is still the best match in my opinion. Best story, best use of blood, tight work, felt so real. I’d give that match at least 5 1/2 stars.

What other five Star matches from the past now deserve more credit?

In general, how do you guys feel about matches receiving more than five stars?

Last edited:
I disagree on retroactively adding stars. The whole point of breaking the scale is that it's a match that goes above and beyond what we've seen before. The original scale was 4 stars, so 5 star matches in themselves are scale breakers. I think that adding stars just devalues everything by "curving" match scores so they all even out, which defeats the purpose to begin with.

tokyo-dome-1.jpg

Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect(C) for Intercontinental Title

citizen_kane.gif

Watched it 100 times and it never gets old. Perfect's cocky entrance, Brain/Piper/Gorilla on commentary. Fucking clinic by two great workers.

HBK vs Kurt Angle at WM
HBK vs Cena on Raw
Angle vs Benoit at RR

HBK vs Angle was one of the greatest matches of all time.

I’ll also throw in Triple H vs Benoit vs HBK at WM 20.

Owen vs Bret SS 94, loved the angle, the match was great, the finish was great

Benoit vs anyone tbh!
Undertaker vs CM Punk at Mania

citizen_kane.gif

Watched it 100 times and it never gets old. Perfect's cocky entrance, Brain/Piper/Gorilla on commentary. Fucking clinic by two great workers.
I think this is the match where Perfect’s back was absolutely shot, too, right? Makes it even more amazing.

Last edited:
Randy Savage vs Ultimate Warrior retirement match.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio Halloween havoc

Bret Hart vs Austin WM13

Steamboat vs Flair Chi-Town Rumble

Bret Hart vs Mr Perfect Summerslam

Flair vs Terry Funk I Quit Match clash of champions

Randy Savage vs Ric Flair WM8

HBK vs Razor Ramon Ladde Match WM10

HHH vs Cactus Jack Royal Rumbke streetfight Match

Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior WM6

I think this is the match where Perfect’s back was absolutely shot, too, right? Makes it even more amazing.

I'm not 100% sure on the back injury timeline, but by the time RR 1992 came along he was already in the "executive consultant" role to Flair, not wrestling anymore.

Back