Floyd Mayweather & Sugar Ray Leonard go at it on Instagram

I do consider Floyd an exceptional pugilist and one of the best of all time. However, I agree with SRL assestment of this hypothetical match. I'm of the opinion, Floyd's boxing DNA is his father's (although the son's genes seems to have mutated/evolved relative to his father's). But SRL was able to decipher Mayweather Sr, and if there is anyone who have that blueprint to defeat Floyd, in my opinion, it is Leonard.

Man I hope this guy's ego makes him sign that ufc contract that he was yapping about.

I don’t know what to make of this other than I don’t care. Trash talk between two retired fighters does nothing for me. SRL beats Floyd by a couple rounds at 147 going the 12 rounds distance.

So SRL beating his dad means he can beat Floyd?.

Tactically speaking: yes, definitely. A similar plan of attack as the one used by SRL against Sr. was employed by Cotto against Jr., and perhaps the reason why Cotto had relative success. Basically the coordination of straight jabs to drive Floyd to the ropes, followed by heavy body shots, blocking Floyd's left flank to prevent evasive movement, left hooks to cut his escape to the right, and finishing wih straight right to the top (near back of) Floys head yielded significant returns for Cotto.

However, there are significant differences between Floyd Jr and Sr. physique and skill sets. Floyd Jr shoulders are wider than Sr and they provide a more effective anatomy when rolling and covering his head and chin, and the reason why Cotto's right ended up bouncing off Floyd's left shoulder and glancing,at best, the top of Floyd's face/head. Yet, we may perhaps agree with Floyd when he himself admitted Cotto's fight was one of his most difficult

Last edited:
I'd favour SRL but it wouldn't be a sure thing.
But in no possible way can I envisage Floyd having a hope in hell against the hit man. However it played out, he'd be in the hospital afterwards. Hearns was a monster.

Why the fuck would he just comment that out of nowhere?? I like Floyd as a boxer, but for someone who's made a wealthy living through boxing, the least he could do is not disrespect legends who paved the way for him and his fellow boxers.

I remember Floyd talking sh1t to SRL in a press conference, this was like a decade ago. Ray was there promoting or working the fight, and Floyd just randomly starts badmouthing him. He was serious too, nothing friendly about it.

Floyd would have boxed the hell out of SRL at 147 or 154.

Sorry, I love SRL, but Floyd was the superior talent.

Leonard would beat Floyd. He was the best ring general I have ever seen in any combat sport and knew how to win rounds. Even if he didn’t get the KO, he would win the decision.

In terms of Hearns, well, given his reach advantage, Hearns would absolutely murder Floyd. It would be a decapitation within four rounds.

Duran would work Floyd’s body, turn it to mush, and KO him late.

Very disrespectful by Floyd. Just join the fellow legends and be in peace.
Anyway, SRL was better at outpointing than Floyd was. SRL was the most complete fighter I've ever seen. 9-3 SRL. 8-4 at very worst.

Mayweather vs Hearns is not a competitive matchup in the slightest. Hearns either wins 10-2 or by early KO.

Leonard was better at winning rounds than anyone I’ve ever seen. People also talk about Floyd winning decisions in Vegas because he was the big star there. In today’s world Leonard would be 10x bigger, the all-American goldenboy.

Floyd would have nothing to keep Leonard from throwing quick combos. I would have Leonard by a ud.

Yep. Floyd is a one punch at a time man. Leonard throws combos and is faster. He wins the rounds, even if Floyd ducks 80% of it.

There is literally no fathomable way Mayweather would beat SRL. It is a thing suggested merely by the new era of boxing fans who's main source of information is boxrec rather than watching full fights themselves.

He's better at pointscoring in the centre of the ring, better using his feet, will use his height and reach advantage well, bangs to the body, can actually FIGHT and take the 'boxing' away from the match where it suits him, brilliant at forcing you to the ropes (something that Mayweather is very susceptible to becoming victim of), better jab, better combination puncher, much bigger punch variety, better 'runner', brilliant power, also a high ring IQ, an excellent finisher in latter stages.

One fighter has wins over the best boxers of all time across the range of different styles i.e Duran, Hearns, Hagler (whilst they were both notably past prime), Benitez.
The other fighter has wins over Castillo (rematch), Corrales, Canelo, old and finished Pacman at 147. There are many levels that separate these fighters.

<mma4>

I don't think he was happy with Ray Leonard for giving Conor praise. Leonard was saying how well Conor did which confused me because most know Floyd carried him.

I do consider Floyd an exceptional pugilist and one of the best of all time. However, I agree with SRL assestment of this hypothetical match. I'm of the opinion, Floyd's boxing DNA is his father's (although the son's genes seems to have mutated/evolved relative to his father's).
This is some top science right here

"Both y'all is easy work."

{<doc}

Love him or hate him, Floyd was always the king of shit talk. That Leonard thing is just out of the blue.

Yeah, it's a 40 year old closet case with daddy issues acting out over a guy he's always been incredibly jealous of. That would explain the randomness of it.

who knows who would have won. i see no point in discussing.

but what i can say is as skillful of a boxer as floyd was,
sugar ray was MUCH more exciting fighter to watch on every level

Back