Who was better, Sugar Ray Leonard or Roy Jones Jr?

so you think that's a possibility with Roy?

so you think that's a possibility with Roy?
I don’t know anything about Roy’s personal circumstances that would lead me to that conclusion. I guess a top fighter jumping up to hw and then jumping back down doesn’t happen often enough to see a trend. There’s usually some outside factor that precipitates a dramatic fall.

Drugs/drink/personal life/body starting to wear down/can’t motivate yourself to get up and train. For someone with Roy’s public persona he doesn’t outwardly lack confidence. That said a friend of mine jumped in front of a train his year and nobody realised something was up so I don’t know.

ya, you never know by the public face people show, never. I always bear that in mind when i observe people. I did hear whispers about drugs around the time of his losses, but without further proof or even further rumours i wouldn't know what to make of them. only that it's very common for fighters.

ya, you never know by the public face people show, never. I always bear that in mind when i observe people. I did hear whispers about drugs around the time of his losses, but without further proof or even further rumours i wouldn't know what to make of them. only that it's very common for fighters.
Shame he lives in a drug free party free zone like Florida huh?

ya, no temptation, no drug wars or heads being cuttooff in a place like that, he may as well live in pleasantvilee

Part of Roy’s downfall was his bad knees. More than likely from all those years of basketball. He couldn’t do roadwork or get himself in proper shape. He also lost a lot of his mobility.

Part of Roy’s downfall was his bad knees. More than likely from all those years of basketball. He couldn’t do roadwork or get himself in proper shape. He also lost a lot of his mobility.
i heard that his knees were bad too, i don't know, there are other ways, maybe not as good as running but close, to get cardio. i'm glad that didn't happen to me, i tell you, almost fifty and i have a lot of aches and pains but nothing like those guys. I recall thinking, as a guy who could have pursued a career in fighting, i recall thinking during the recession when the only things that kept me eating were manual labor, i thought how lucky i was that my body was ok. I couldn't have done those physical jobs, many of them harder than training, if I had had busted knees, hips, back, etc.., fighting is a waste of time for most people, hopefully roy won't end up as broke as some of the rumours would have us believe.

i heard that his knees were bad too, i don't know, there are other ways, maybe not as good as running but close, to get cardio. i'm glad that didn't happen to me, i tell you, almost fifty and i have a lot of aches and pains but nothing like those guys. I recall thinking, as a guy who could have pursued a career in fighting, i recall thinking during the recession when the only things that kept me eating were manual labor, i thought how lucky i was that my body was ok. I couldn't have done those physical jobs, many of them harder than training, if I had had busted knees, hips, back, etc.., fighting is a waste of time for most people, hopefully roy won't end up as broke as some of the rumours would have us believe.
Is it pacquiao who swims for cardio?

If he’s fighting because he needs to it’s tragic. If he’s fighting because he wants to he might want to knock it off, like, a few years ago.

If he’s fighting because he needs to it’s tragic. If he’s fighting because he wants to he might want to knock it off, like, a few years ago.
it's tragic either way because he's trading off the last twenty years of his life, the fans aren't going to be cheering him on for that, it's stupid. what has he accomplished fighting post tarver 1? Nothing really and has taken a ton of damage.

i never heard pac swam, i don't think anything could quite replace running so that's a huge loss for a fighter. One of the mistakes mma'rs make is not doing roadwork, they are too lazy and running is something you usuall have to do alone, they can't yuck it up like they like to do with their buds. and you see what their gas tanks are like.

i never heard pac swam, i don't think anything could quite replace running so that's a huge loss for a fighter. One of the mistakes mma'rs make is not doing roadwork, they are too lazy and running is something you usuall have to do alone, they can't yuck it up like they like to do with their buds. and you see what their gas tanks are like.
No I’m thinking of that story that went round saying sea swimming healed pacquiaos shoulder. Floyd was training in the pool for pac iirc. I’m sure roach complained that pac was doing swimming cardio before one fight because he was late arriving in la and if he attempts roadwork in the Philippines he gets mobbed.

Leonard is the greatest fighter I have ever seen in any combat sport. He could fight off the front foot, he could fight off the back foot. Amazing technique. Exquisite shot selection. Unbelievable hand speed. Lethal finishing. Great defence. Brilliant fight IQ. Could dig himself out of a hole and overcome adversity. Went to war time after time. Went up to MW after years off and beat Hagler.

No I’m thinking of that story that went round saying sea swimming healed pacquiaos shoulder. Floyd was training in the pool for pac iirc. I’m sure roach complained that pac was doing swimming cardio before one fight because he was late arriving in la and if he attempts roadwork in the Philippines he gets mobbed.
I hate to say it but Pac is like floyd said "not the sharpest tool in the shed" there's a whole planet you can travel to where no one would bother him, which is what training camps are for. Swimming, i really don't think, is that good for cardio, certainly not as good as running. The only good part of swimming is it's good for rehab because it's low impact. I knew some mma'rs who swam, i don't know, if it's a part of training it's ok i guess but there are better things to do. Nothing beats running for stamina, it's not fun, i went through years avoiding it, i never was crazy about it until i got a little older and learned to enjoy the meditative state I get in. That's not to mention how it gets your legs trained and your whole body accustomed to using oxygen, which i think is the most important thing. It trains your entire body to demand and receive oxygen, even if you are just jogging, which is why dundee said in a vid "i don't care if they run, jog, crawl on their belly as long as they do roadwork".

vinny was ok, tough, lots of heart, had no business fucking around at 168 or roy jones. He wasn't as Mike katz referred to him before the jones fight "roy can fight, Pazienza can't". you don't win titles with absolutely no ability.

I saw an interview with Vinny where he said he lost his mind and thought he could beat Roy Jones

I saw an interview with Vinny where he said he lost his mind and thought he could beat Roy Jones
he actually said he "lost my mind"? I don't think taking on someone is a sign of craziness in a fighter, fighters are fighters and are delusional by nature and by necessity. Sugar Ray Leonard used to crazily say he could beat Mike Tyson and say that he knew how crazy it sounded but that a fighter should think like that.

I made this into a question at the Mayweather Boxing Club

Why is his face a completely different color to the rest of him?

Apologies if its been said before.....

And i would love to see hoiw SRL, RJJ and Whittaker would have done against each other had they been the same weight

Back