Opinion on grains?

Tkd10

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So with an ever growing attack on grains and wheat, its difficult to make out what's "good" and "bad"...just so much conflicting information. Oats, pasta, rice, bread (not as much) have been a staple in my diet. Its just easier to get that caloric surplus to support my training and they're efficient. Just blending up an oat shake with maybe some fruit and milk in their before my training, an easy way to scarf down some calories even post workout.

What do you guys think of this? As fighters, martial artists, combat athletes, do you guys find grains beneficial or detrimental to your health and training?

For one i'm guessing the quality of grains we get are no longer the same and haven't been for a while with the rise of GMO processing.

I'm part middle eastern, people eat nothing but rice and bread in my culture, some of these illnesses associated with grains are unheard of back home.

I don't know, you really don't know who to believe.

Gluten is bad.
No, red meat is bad.

if you ask the paleo/keto nuts, grains are bad (empty calories, bad for digestion)
If you ask the vegans and others, grains are good (fibers, fibers, fibers, nutrients, no fats)

What I noticed is that I don't get bloated when I give up grains.
But yeah, grains are efficient if you want to be on a caloris surplus.
You can try with potatoes as a alternative.

Also, pasta is delicious.

Grains are fine. Over consumption of calories and an inactive lifestyle account for most of the illnesses.

Grains are fine. Over consumption of calories and an inactive lifestyle account for most of the illnesses.

some clients never come back if you try to teach them this complex law of nature haha

I have psoriatic arthritis and if I eat grains it will flare up badly as a result. I've noticed for years that I sometimes feel tired and bloated if I eat too much bread and gluten but it's only triggered arthritis with extreme joint pain since November 2015. I avoid gluten at sll costs now. Brown rice is a great substitute for getting a lot of calories

The only grain I eat anymore is rice. Wheat can slightly upset my stomach. A little bit of wheat though isn't a problem for me.

Plenty of different grains are beneficial. As a society though, we probably eat too much white rice and shitty, processed wheat.

Grains make me cough like crazy and give me a shitty inside feeling in my guts.

i only eat white rice brown rice is nasty doesnt go well with stirfrys i feel no dif between the 2

i only eat white rice brown rice is nasty doesnt go well with stirfrys i feel no dif between the 2

Brown rice still has the endosperm attached to it which contains phytates that act as antinutrients. I'm with you, White rice is best rice if you can tolerate carbohydrates well.

If your body handles grains well, go for grains. As I've gotten older (I'm pushing 40), my joints are in a bad place due to a 20 year career in the military and years and years of martial arts training, and starches cause my joint pain to be worse...if I want carbs, I go brown rice or sweet potatoes, and I don't have the issues...that is purely anecdotal, but it is what works for me. When I was a wrestler in high school I lived on pasta salad, steamed white rice covered in sugar with milk, and eggs...now, not so much.

The key in my mind is...what works for you? If your body doesn't react adversely, I see nothing wrong with going for that.

Grains are fine unless one actually has a real sensitivity / allergy to a specific agent.

Generally though when you're carb loading it is going to be healthier to stick with starches that occur side by side with lots of fiber. Black rice + mixed beans over the same mass of white rice, stuff like that.

White rice is just fine really.

White rice isn't bad in moderation for most, but for diabetics and fatties it still adds up. The combination of sugar and flour is far worse than white rice though.

What really fascinates me is that rice and beans are a staple in most vegan diets that can yield digestible complete protein with starch and fiber but I now see even more malnourished vegans than ever because they are learning on the internet that rice is bad and beans are full of evil lectins.

Last edited:
Grains are fine unless one actually has a real sensitivity / allergy to a specific agent.

Generally though when you're carb loading it is going to be healthier to stick with starches that occur side by side with lots of fiber. Black rice + mixed beans over the same mass of white rice, stuff like that.

White rice isn't bad in moderation for most, but for diabetics and fatties it still adds up. The combination of sugar and flour is far worse than white rice though.

What really fascinates me is that rice and beans are a staple in most vegan diets that can yield digestible complete protein with starch and fiber but I now see even more malnourished vegans than ever because they are learning on the internet that rice is bad and beans are full of evil lectins.
Scare tactics from the meat industry.

Back