Diamond Dallas Page

I never was a fan of DDP....imo he was better as a manager than as a wrasslers...I guess I sort of liked him when he was managing the Diamond Stud...

20160717190214.jpg

DDP was so over with the fans during the later years of WCW it wasn’t even funny.

Honestly he should’ve held the title for at least a year.

The fans were popping hard for him when he fought Goldberg on Nitro and that’s when Bill was over huge

DDP was so over with the fans during the later years of WCW it wasn’t even funny.

Honestly he should’ve held the title for at least a year.

The fans were popping hard for him when he fought Goldberg on Nitro and that’s when Bill was over huge

This.

At one point you could have argued DDP was as over as Austin. WWE won the war so unless you watched every Monday night you wouldn’t know based on the revisionist history.

One thing I have argued in the past though is the stalker angle. I get where it was supposed to go or be. It was never about Sarah, it was about DDP going after the biggest dog in the yard. The stalker part was to get in Takers head. He said all of this in his epic debut promo. He begged Taket to “make him famous”.

Unfortunately the angle turned to shit but the night DDP debut got a huge pop and DDP vs Taker should have been so much more

DDP is one if the rare cases besides Goldberg where WCW had a hone grown superstar

he gets a mixed reviews from other wrestlers. It is strange to see Ric Flair and Scott Steiner agreeing that he was overrated though so maybe there's something to it.
Overrated how? The dude got himself over with nothing more than a look that fit his personality, the ability to talk, and a cool finish. And did so in a company full of established stars trying to protect thir spots. Color me shocked that guys like Flair and Steiner would criticize a guy like DDP.

This.

At one point you could have argued DDP was as over as Austin. WWE won the war so unless you watched every Monday night you wouldn’t know based on the revisionist history.

One thing I have argued in the past though is the stalker angle. I get where it was supposed to go or be. It was never about Sarah, it was about DDP going after the biggest dog in the yard. The stalker part was to get in Takers head. He said all of this in his epic debut promo. He begged Taket to “make him famous”.

Unfortunately the angle turned to shit but the night DDP debut got a huge pop and DDP vs Taker should have been so much more
Page was definitely over in WCW, but putting him on an Austin/Rock level is a stretch, revisionist history or not. I'd say he was over on more of a baby face Angle sort of level.

Overrated how? The dude got himself over with nothing more than a look that fit his personality, the ability to talk, and a cool finish. And did so in a company full of established stars trying to protect thir spots. Color me shocked that guys like Flair and Steiner would criticize a guy like DDP.
There seems to be the feeling that he only got to the top because of his friendship with Bischoff and Nash. Sure they have their bias as do guys that are friends with him. They're hardly the only ones that feel that way, I just found it funny since they'd probably disagree on anything else.

Last edited:
WWE knew his strengths, and what an asset he'd be to the company.

But, DDP was a WCW guy. They brought him on and railroaded him with the stupid stalker gimmick, he couldn't use his signature *Double-Outstretched-Hands-With-Thumbs and Index Fingers Touching,* and they were obviously writing for him to be railroaded by the Undertaker.

Besides Goldberg, WWE had no interest in any original WCW guys.

*cough*cough* Jericho , Booker T , Eddie Guerrero, Benoit *cough*cough*

There seems to be the feeling that he only got to the top because of his friendship with Bischoff and Nash. Sure they have their bias as do guys that are friends with him. They're hardly the only ones that feel that way, I just found it funny since they'd probably disagree on anything else.
He was booked more or less as a mid-carder. The crowd popped for him like he was the top baby face, though, and he was arguably the most over guy on the roster for the last several years of the company. He's one of the biggest overachievers in wrestling history. Saying he only got his spot because of who he's friends with us petty, and a moot point. There's plenty of guys that have been pushed hard, that didn't get half the reaction he did.

*cough*cough* Jericho , Booker T , Eddie Guerrero *cough*cough*
they all had pretty shitty booking early on to be fair and other than booker they can spin it as they took guys wcw didn't know how to use and made them stars. While the established stars were made to look inferior to wwe's without their politics.

He was booked more or less as a mid-carder. The crowd popped for him like he was the top baby face, though, and he was arguably the most over guy on the roster for the last several years of the company. He's one of the biggest overachievers in wrestling history. Saying he only got his spot because of who he's friends with us petty, and a moot point. There's plenty of guys that have been pushed hard, that didn't get half the reaction he did.
I don't understand how you think that he's an overachiever if you disagree with them that's he was overrated? Oh I agree with that but petty sour grapes are the life blood of shoot interviews.

1. DDP had crossover appeal in that EVERYONE from that time period that watched knew what the Diamond Cutter was and the sign for it. Even casuals knew what the Diamond Cutter was.

2. He main evented with Hogan, Rodman and Malone. That was one of the biggest angles and events EVER for WCW.

3. They did a program on Leno. See #2.

4. He was booked for weeks in an angle with the nWo on whether he would join. This led to one of the most memorable moments in Nitro history when he turned on the Outsiders.

5. He was a multi time World Champion that main evented for several years.

I still stand by my statement that he was, for a brief period I agree, as over as Austin/Rock/HHH. He was one of the most over guys during the most over period in PW. He was not booked as a mid carder either, not sure where you get that logic. Maybe when you think of his rise to the top but once he got there he pretty much stayed.

WWE knew his strengths, and what an asset he'd be to the company.

But, DDP was a WCW guy. They brought him on and railroaded him with the stupid stalker gimmick, he couldn't use his signature *Double-Outstretched-Hands-With-Thumbs and Index Fingers Touching,* and they were obviously writing for him to be railroaded by the Undertaker.

Besides Goldberg, WWE had no interest in any original WCW guys.

I'm assuming you are talking about after the Invasion?

WWE actually was high on guys like Jindrak, O'Haire, Palumbo and Buff Bagwell. The only one from that crop that made anything from their opportunities was Palumbo.

WWE also made decent CW and tag runs out of Kidman, Chavo and Hurricane. Hurrincane at one time had a pretty decent program with the Rock.

Last but not least, Booker T became a multiple time World, US, IC, tag champ and then a HOFer to boot.

Back