Who is 2017 Coach of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valhoven

Mark Daniel Coleman
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Guten Tag, everyone, and welcome to the 2017 Coach of the Year Awards. This is the sophomore stopover on a Sherdog journey of Best-of honours that you're encouraged to discuss and vote on. Because in the end…

200.gif

The word coach in English hasn't strayed far from its roots – originally meaning a carriage drawn by horses to move one between points A and B. By the 1900s, it saw popular usage amongst Academia in referring to 'tutors', who similarly ushered their pupils (or passengers, as it were) from one level of knowledge to another.

Fast-forward almost 100 years to 2018 and behind every modern-day fighter, champion, and Greatest-ever-to-do-it is very much a coach – one who harnesses and hones while ultimately navigating their chosen few between wins and losses alike.

Fight-game architects, professors of pain, maestros of mitt…however the 21st century remembers them, whom amongst these carriages, these tutors, do you want remembered as Sherdog's 2017 Coach of the Year?

Know your contenders –
  • Dewey Cooper
  • Rafael Cordeiro
  • Duane Ludwig
  • Henrry Perez
  • Firas Zahabi

Meet your contenders –

F1 g.png
Dewey Cooper aka Black Kobra of One Kick's Gym
  • Quote: "If improvement is possible, then perfection is not good enough."
  • Trivia: Calls and likens his fighters to 'superheroes', saying the same of recently deceased colleague and personal friend Robert Follis
  • MMA: Francis Ngannou (2-0), earning himself HW title shot in the process; Kevin Lee (2-1) with headkick-to-sub toppling of long untoppled Francisco Trinaldo; Noad Lahat (2-1)

F2.png
Rafael Cordeiro of Kings MMA
  • Quote: "The Japanese mentality is to keep calm and keep training." (on pupil Lyoto)
  • Trivia: Neck tat bros GTFIH – nearing some 50 summers young, has gotten done a simple Hallelujah across the throat
  • MMA: Rafael dos Anjos* (3-0) as WW crossover and current #2; #6 HW Fabrício Werdum (2-1); #6 MW Kelvin Gastelum (1-1-1)
F3.png
Duane Ludwig of Ludwig Martial Arts

• Quote: "I feel honoured and privileged to be here and to witness the highest level of striking that’s available in the world right now." (on September trip to Netherlands)
  • Trivia: Was early in his fight career (in addition to being an electrician) a student himself of the legendary Bas Rutten, and the two have remained close ever since; his son born in 2013 was named Carter Bas Ludwig
  • MMA: T.J. Dillashaw (1-0) with memorable return to status and bragging rights as BW #1; Matt Brown (1-0) with cinematic potato-sacking of Diego Sanchez

F4.png
Henrry Perez of PMA MMA
  • Quote: "I’m sure you would agree at times the path to quit simply seems more comfortable and many do take that path…two questions for you 1. Are you a winner? 2. Are you prepared to give your all? If the answer is "yes" to both, then you are already on the path (to becoming a fighter)."
  • Trivia: Single-handedly raised the bar for the Australian MMA scene, having seen something special in star pupil Bobby K. when only a teen
  • MMA: Robert Whittaker (2-0) and current MW #1

F5.png
Firas Zahabi of Le Tristar Gym
  • Quote: "If you’re criticising Georges, do what he did."
  • Trivia: A philosophy major originally considering a career in law, Firas' love for BJJ culminates today in a near 14,000-square foot MMA facility he stylises the Home of Champions
  • MMA: Georges St-Pierre (1-0) in triumphant 4-year return as MW #1**; Rory MacDonald (1-0), earning shot at Bellator gold opposite Douglas Lima in January 2018

*Influence intermittent or in absentia in 2017 OFD
**Vacated on 07 December 2017

"Duane Ludwig you're taking everything I worked for motherfucker, I'ma fight your fucking ass" - Urijah Faber.

Oh man, you made images for these. Totally awesome. I need to step up my game going forward.

This is a tough one, I'm torn between two coaches right now.

Awesome work Val. I voted for Cordeiro myself, and I feel 2018 will be an ever better year for him.

You forgot Edmund...

But seriously... Rafael Cordeiro easily

Oh man, you made images for these. Totally awesome. I need to step up my game going forward.

This is a tough one, I'm torn between two coaches right now.
I haven't voted myself yet for much the same reason – torn between a couple. They're all pretty unique individuals despite sharing a career amongst them with the same endgame in mind.

Awesome work Val. I voted for Cordeiro myself, and I feel 2018 will be an ever better year for him.
Cheers, bud. 2017 RDA alone is a hell of a name to have in your stable.

Awesome stuff @Valhoven !!! How can you not go wrong with the guy who coaches St Pierre....

I'm kinda surprised there aren't more votes for Henrry Perez...I mean Tristar gym is really good and all and has some great talent there but you also got to keep in mind who their guys have beat. I mean GSP beating Bisping is not more impressive than bobby knuckles beating Souza or Romero. Same with Rory fighting Paul Daley. Not as impressive. PLUS when you have GSP vacating because hes scared of the real MW champ...gotta tell ya something

Guten Tag, everyone, and welcome to the 2017 Coach of the Year Awards. This is the sophomore stopover on a Sherdog journey of Best-of honours that you're encouraged to discuss and vote on. Because in the end…

200.gif

The word coach in English hasn't strayed far from its roots – originally meaning a carriage drawn by horses to move one between points A and B. By the 1900s, it saw popular usage amongst Academia in referring to 'tutors', who similarly ushered their pupils (or passengers, as it were) from one level of knowledge to another.

Fast-forward almost 100 years to 2018 and behind every modern-day fighter, champion, and Greatest-ever-to-do-it is very much a coach – one who harnesses and hones while ultimately navigating their chosen few between wins and losses alike.

Fight-game architects, professors of pain, maestros of mitt…however the 21st century remembers them, whom amongst these carriages, these tutors, do you want remembered as Sherdog's 2017 Coach of the Year?

Know your contenders –
  • Dewey Cooper
  • Rafael Cordeiro
  • Duane Ludwig
  • Henrry Perez
  • Firas Zahabi

Meet your contenders –

Dewey Cooper aka Black Kobra of One Kick's Gym
  • Quote: "If improvement is possible, then perfection is not good enough."
  • Trivia: Calls and likens his fighters to 'superheroes', saying the same of recently deceased colleague and personal friend Robert Follis
  • MMA: Francis Ngannou (2-0), earning himself HW title shot in the process; Kevin Lee (2-1) with headkick-to-sub toppling of long untoppled Francisco Trinaldo; Noad Lahat (2-1)

Rafael Cordeiro of Kings MMA
  • Quote: "The Japanese mentality is to keep calm and keep training." (on pupil Lyoto)
  • Trivia: Neck tat bros GTFIH – nearing some 50 summers young, has gotten done a simple Hallelujah across the throat
  • MMA: Rafael dos Anjos (3-0) as WW crossover and current #2; #6 HW Fabrício Werdum (2-1); #6 MW Kelvin Gastelum (1-1-1)
View attachment 321043
Duane Ludwig of Ludwig Martial Arts

• Quote: "I feel honoured and privileged to be here and to witness the highest level of striking that’s available in the world right now." (on September trip to Netherlands)
  • Trivia: Was early in his fight career (in addition to being an electrician) a student himself of the legendary Bas Rutten, and the two have remained close ever since; his son born in 2013 was named Carter Bas Ludwig
  • MMA: T.J. Dillashaw (1-0) with memorable return to status and bragging rights as BW #1; Matt Brown (1-0) with cinematic potato-sacking of Diego Sanchez

Henrry Perez of PMA MMA
  • Quote: "I’m sure you would agree at times the path to quit simply seems more comfortable and many do take that path…two questions for you 1. Are you a winner? 2. Are you prepared to give your all? If the answer is "yes" to both, then you are already on the path (to becoming a fighter)."
  • Trivia: Single-handedly raised the bar for the Australian MMA scene, having seen something special in star pupil Bobby K. when only a teen
  • MMA: Robert Whittaker (2-0) and current MW #1

Firas Zahabi of Le Tristar Gym
  • Quote: "If you’re criticising Georges, do what he did."
  • Trivia: A philosophy major originally considering a career in law, Firas' love for BJJ culminates today in a near 14,000-square foot MMA facility he stylises the Home of Champions
  • MMA: Georges St-Pierre (1-0) in triumphant 4-year return as MW #1*; Rory MacDonald (1-0), earning shot at Bellator gold opposite Douglas Lima in January 2018

*Vacated on 07 December 2017

I like Firas the best, but I feel Duane and Rafael are much better coaches.

Awesome stuff @Valhoven !!! How can you not go wrong with the guy who coaches St Pierre....
Right on, buddy. Hating you right now though; I still can't decide. It was pretty cool getting to know the wizards behind the curtain – even if one or two are largely mind ya own biz.

8bf.gif

I'm kinda surprised there aren't more votes for Henrry Perez...I mean Tristar gym is really good and all and has some great talent there but you also got to keep in mind who their guys have beat. I mean GSP beating Bisping is not more impressive than bobby knuckles beating Souza or Romero. Same with Rory fighting Paul Daley. Not as impressive. PLUS when you have GSP vacating because hes scared of the real MW champ...gotta tell ya something
Good post, Matt.

Back