something i don't understand about weightlifters

nastyElbows also avirgin

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
their "fail attempt" in the championships

i thought in the training one knows "whether they can lift the (x) weight or not"

if in the training i am able to lift the weight, then i'm going to do it in the championship.

everytime i see them fail in the championships, i feel like its their first time ever they approach the weight.

Last edited:

i thought in the training one knows "whether they can lift the (x) weight or not"

if in the training i am able to lift the weight, then i'm going to do it in the championship.

everytime i see them fail in the championships, i feel like its their first time ever they approach the weight.

i think you really underestimate the technique of putting a max or near max from the ground over your head.
not to mention that some coaches demand too much or that maybe the party leader will cut your wife's head off if you don't make the lift etc. etc.

They also have to cut weight to make their weight class. So even if they do it in the gym at their strongest, it doesn’t mean they will hit it in competition.

Another thing is I think they mostly lift submaxinally. Meaning in the gym the 1RM doesn’t really do anything compared to the 3-5 RM. So they know about how strong they have become, but not necessarily for 1 rep.

Are you talking about olympic weightlifting or powerlifting?

I have no problem smashing a hot broad when she's spread out on my bed. In front of a bunch of people and cameras however, I may not perform the same way.

Do not underestimate the power of nervousness.

Lifters are tuned in their highest peak at competition. There are no room for small error, otherwise the lift is failed.

Of course they lift weights when they practice, but they try to achieve something bigger when they compete.

I've seen Ilya Ilyn fail a snatch 5-6 times in the same training session. He went back to the training hall the same evening and made it.

The physiological state of your entire body, and every system and every cell within it are not static, they are dynamic and change from moment to moment (let alone day to day). The state of your muscle fibers, your endocrine environment and your central nervous system vary from day to day and from hour to hour. Your mood, your arousal, your pain perception, your reaction time, your ability to focus your attention, the speed and quality of your decision-making... are all highly dynamic.

Last edited:

They kinda don't know tho. Usually they will try to set new PRs in competition and they can't really try to lift that before competing since it might ruin their recovery.

They set up their training so that they peak during the competition, and that process is somewhat ambiguous, so sometimes they miss that window and thus miss their goal lifts.

For me at a meet it's 1st attempt: something I can hit for a triple 2nd: attempt my current max 3rd attempt: new PR attempt.

That's why you see a lot of fails. Most lifters use competitions to try to set new PRs.

You're saying you don't understand how athletic competitions work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back