Do people actually shower twice before training and after?

Nooob

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Noob question but do people shower both before training and immediately after? I understand the part of taking shower immediately when you get home afterward but what about before?

Most session start between 6pm - 9pm and the vast majority train in those times so I'm guessing some people don't have the time to take shower straight after finishing work because of busy traffic, dinner, family reason and so on.

I'm just paranoid because I don't want to get smelly or frowned upon in front of my parters since we're an inch away from each other for 1 hour straight.

I shower 2 times a day (shortly before training and after) for 3 times week but it's becoming too much hassle for me. Before I started training, it was mostly either early mornings or night before bed depending what I do during the day.

Last edited:
why would you be smealing if you have shower before on the day? Unless you are a sweaty mess... there’s no reason to shower right before training...

Last edited:
Depends what you do for a living, if youre a 250lbs labourer in Arizona please do, 120lbs IT geek in Toronto you should be fine

Ideally every gym would have a nice shower facility and make it mandatory to shower before getting on the mats.

Even if you aren't dirty, and sat in an office all day, it's nice for everyone to wash the funk of the day off before jumping on the mat and making a giant body sweat cocktail.

Unfortunately most bjj gyms don't have showers.

Ideally every gym would have a nice shower facility and make it mandatory to shower before getting on the mats.

Even if you aren't dirty, and sat in an office all day, it's nice for everyone to wash the funk of the day off before jumping on the mat and making a giant body sweat cocktail.

Unfortunately most bjj gyms don't have showers.

I don’t think that’s the best thing, I’ve read that some of the bacteria the body carries fights bacteria from the mat, it’s mandatory to shower if you are coming from lifting/s&c or some activity like that ... I might be wrong though...

I don’t think that’s the best thing, I’ve read that some of the bacteria the body carries fights bacteria from the mat, it’s mandatory to shower if you are coming from lifting/s&c or some activity like that ... I might be wrong though...
We usually just ask people to change into sry clothes if they came from other physical activities before practice. Shit, I have t shirts and towels all over the gym and my gym bag for this very reason.

Depends what you do for a living, if youre a 250lbs labourer in Arizona please do, 120lbs IT geek in Toronto you should be fine
Manlets can work up a stink too. Don't let them off the hook because of their size.

I shower before classes on the weekend (It's part of my morning routine to shower...just helps me wake up), during the week no. I shower before work and work an office job so no real reason to shower before.

Shower after class fo sho.

Of course shower before class.

Unless u ride a desk 8 straight.

What, 6pm's the first workout for the day?

If I'm not with my lady, why shower after?

7am drills come around awful quick...

Are you for real? You don’t shower after class? How do you manage to sleep at all?

I always shower before class, and I work at a desk.

I don't think you should shower right before training if you already showered in the morning that day and if your keeping normal hygiene routine like washing your hands after bathroom use, etc. The exception would be if you know your truly dirty from doing whatever or if you have a bo problem, then yes, shower before coming to training.

If that is not the case I would wait to shower after training. There is such a thing as overshowering/overcleaning youself and causing bad bacteria on the skin to come resistant to cleaning products.

I like to shower right away after training but not before, unless I'm truly dirty.

I don't see any good reason as to why you would want to shower before class.. it is like washing boots before you go outside and layer them with a mud.

For sure, I will always shower after a training session. I don't want other people's sweat/tears and other shit going into my pajamas and bed at night.

I don't see any good reason as to why you would want to shower before class.. it is like washing boots before you go outside and layer them with a mud.

You (probably) don't rub your boots on people's faces, though. There's a profound difference for your training partners between "I just showered" sweat and "I've been marinating for 24 hours and took a shit twice" sweat. If I smell, I shower before. Anyone who doesn't shower ASAP after training is nasty.

After for sure but can't before coming from work

I shower in the morning a couple hours before class and after class so yea.

Depends on how my bowel movements went. If I got a clean cut, I'll just shower after class. If things got ugly, I'll throw an extra shower in to keep my North/South fresh.

You don't shower after rolling on the mats with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Are you for real? How do you have a woman? Do you want to get staff, Mrsa, or other infections? Because that's how you get staff, Mrsa or other infections...

This is one of those legendary internet topics where everyone who posts on it showers multiple times per day, etc.

My real world experience from training a lot of different places over the years is that probably half the dudes on the mat haven't showered in days. Some might not shower after either.

Somehow we manage to survive.

I never shower before. I always shower after, although sometimes it can be a few hours if I had to travel far. Works for me.

Back