UFC 220 - Miocic vs Ngannou - Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about maybe playing starts round 2 instead of the under for Francis/stipe.. can see it being a slow first round, I think stipe will try to grapple

Thinking about maybe playing starts round 2 instead of the under for Francis/stipe.. can see it being a slow first round, I think stipe will try to grapple
Yes except that Ngannou keeps saying he will knock out everybody in the first round. So I don't expect him to start slow. Still I think (hope?) Stipe can avoid the KO in the first round.

I say it because Rogan is a typical case of the hyping that surrounds every UFC card. Everybody is a "phenom" or "the greatest athlete that's ever lived" until they get ktfo and exposed for what they are in their next engagement, or simply test positive.

HOUSTON ALEXANDER IS FOR REAL!!!

I think too much credentials are given to Ngannou for knocking out chinny Reem. Yes, he has the power to knock everybody in HW division out, but Stipe is on another level when we talk about chin strenght. I dont think this will end in the first and with that said i dont know what will Ngannou offer in the second when he has never been there. Starts R2 sounds like a nice prop, but fuckin euro bookies dont offer that...

I think too much credentials are given to Ngannou for knocking out chinny Reem. Yes, he has the power to knock everybody in HW division out, but Stipe is on another level when we talk about chin strenght. I dont think this will end in the first and with that said i dont know what will Ngannou offer in the second when he has never been there. Starts R2 sounds like a nice prop, but fuckin euro bookies dont offer that...

He looked fine in round 2 against Blaydes and Henrique. He doesn't expend a lot of energy, he's actually pretty patient.

I say it because Rogan is a typical case of the hyping that surrounds every UFC card. Everybody is a "phenom" or "the greatest athlete that's ever lived" until they get ktfo and exposed for what they are in their next engagement, or simply test positive.

Everybody and their mother has ko Overeem. Add to that Ngannou's questionable record and there's no reason to consider him a favorite to win.

I've never heard "greatest athlete ever lived" said by any MMA commentator about any MMA fighter.

Also Francis is still a wildcard I agree, but odds makers realize that certain guys like Jon Jones seem to come out of no where and learn the sport very easily and dominate, another guy is BJ Penn but he obviously wasn't as consistent as Jon.
Francis has that potential but also carries what seems to be Anthony Johnson level power or probably greater. The hype machine is bigger than the UFC, if you don't like the odds then place a wager, no need to crap on Rogan.

It never ceases to amaze me how UFC fans fall for the same bs hipe again, and again, and again...

I don't trust anything that comes out of Joe Rogan's mouth.

Stipe by ground and pound or decision.

If this fight even goes to a decision I'll delete my account here

I think Overeem losing that fight has very little to do with his lack of chin, but more with his mental game and his stand up getting sloppier. I'm not necessarily advocating a play on either side, but whether you consider Stipe's chin better by a small or a wide margin than Overeem's, if Francis catches him with an uppercut like that Stipe is going to sleep.

I think Overeem losing that fight has very little to do with his lack of chin, but more with his mental game and his stand up getting sloppier. I'm not necessarily advocating a play on either side, but whether you consider Stipe's chin better by a small or a wide margin than Overeem's, if Francis catches him with an uppercut like that Stipe is going to sleep.
He will rock him for sure, but i am not sure that he will go directly to sleep like Overeem did.

He will rock him for sure, but i am not sure that he will go directly to sleep like Overeem did.

If Ngannou hits anyone with the shot he caught Reem with, the fight is over.

It's amazing what Ngannou has been able to do in such a short period of time (made pro debut in 2013), isn't a lifelong mixed martial artist, trains out of a small camp and is now fighting for the HW title.

A few years back, there was an article saying how the UFC complexion was going to change because athletes who didn't make it professionally in other sports were going to see the UFC and mma as an alternative option to make a viable income (Eryk Anders) and I think Francis Ngannou is one of those special athletes. His technique in certain areas need to improve but his other physical gifts set him apart like his speed, power, size and reach in the HW division.

In the Overeem fight, Overeem wasn't able to manhandle him against the cage and in the clinch which he normally does to people because Ngannou was just so strong and big and just turned Overeem around.

I honestly think Ngannou could have been a college linebacker or defensive end if he went through the US schooling system with his physical gifts and athleticism. I would love to see his numbers doing a NFL scouting combine test.

I really think it's going to be a really tough test for Stipe Miocic, I think Stipe Miocic will probably go for takedowns at some point and have to rewatch Curtis Blaydes/Ngannou fight to see how Ngannou's getups are. 90% sure someone is going out within 5 rounds.

Last edited:
It's amazing what Ngannou has been able to do in such a short period of time (made pro debut in 2013), isn't a lifelong mixed martial artist, trains out of a small camp and is now fighting for the HW title.

A few years back, there was an article saying how the UFC complexion was going to change because athletes who didn't make it professionally in other sports were going to see the UFC and mma as an alternative option to make a viable income (Eryk Anders) and I think Francis Ngannou is one of those special athletes. His technique in certain areas need to improve but his other physical gifts set him apart like his speed, power, size and reach in the HW division.

In the Overeem fight, Overeem wasn't able to manhandle him against the cage and in the clinch which he normally does to people because Ngannou was just so strong and big and just turned Overeem around.

I honestly think Ngannou could have been a college linebacker or defensive end if he went through the US schooling system with his physical gifts and athleticism. I would love to see his numbers doing a NFL scouting combine test.

I really think it's going to be a really tough test for Stipe Miocic, I think Stipe Miocic will probably go for takedowns at some point and have to rewatch Curtis Blaydes/Ngannou fight to see how Ngannou's getups are. 90% sure someone is going out within 5 rounds.

Great insight regarding athletes from other sports (notable college football) possible to MMA as a career move after they fail at the professional level of their sport. I think MMA is still relatively new in popular culture and as the sport grows, you’ll see this a lot more.

From an incentive perspective, for a gifted athlete that didn’t set themselves up for a career after failing at the sport they trained for years at, MMA may be the next best option. Football players make the most sense but I think you could also see some former hockey players (I think a former hockey player just fought on a UFC card recently too).

I think if Ngannou had an American upbringing he’d probably be an NFL linebacker or DE on athleticism alone. Outside of the U.S., prolly a highly successful pro boxer.

Everybody and their mother has ko Overeem. Add to that Ngannou's questionable record and there's no reason to consider him a favorite to win.
I haven't seen a single post in this sub-forum that has even implied that Francis is a lock or a huge play was warranted on him as the favorite. And you shouldn't sell him short either, he's been fighting better and better competition and still brutalizing them. Overeem is a good win, simple as that. Plenty of ranked, well-rounded, and very experienced opponents have tried to win against Overeem and failed to do so.

It's pretty hipster not go along with the mainstream and fall for the hype, but I'd more concerned about mma fans if they weren't excited about Ngannou. People should be excited about him. And as a bettor, the very concept of someone's hype being real or not should offer you great betting opportunities, so it's all good.

Great insight regarding athletes from other sports (notable college football) possible to MMA as a career move after they fail at the professional level of their sport. I think MMA is still relatively new in popular culture and as the sport grows, you’ll see this a lot more.

From an incentive perspective, for a gifted athlete that didn’t set themselves up for a career after failing at the sport they trained for years at, MMA may be the next best option. Football players make the most sense but I think you could also see some former hockey players (I think a former hockey player just fought on a UFC card recently too).

I think if Ngannou had an American upbringing he’d probably be an NFL linebacker or DE on athleticism alone. Outside of the U.S., prolly a highly successful pro boxer.

I have a pretty good memory but I can't find the article but I'm pretty sure it was Forest Griffin who brought it up around 4 years ago. He said something along the line that he was an average guy who liked to fight (him being humble) but didn't see himself succeeding in the next era where really good athletes would be attracted to mma due to it's growing popularity and increasing income potential like you mentioned and an alternative option if they didn't make it professionally after playing collegiately.

UFC fighter Eryk Anders also said in a recent article that mma was better than football from an injury perspective. He essentially said you get hit play after play every week and in mma, you fight and then get a few months off until your next fight and training wasn't as hard on the body.

Will be even more amazing when he wins the belt

If you're betting Ngannou you're betting Stipe is dumb enough to get hit with a sloppy, winging punch. Other than that he's gonna get exposed. Is that worth it @ -200?
That is a dumb statement and does not help anyone here.

i think Stipe is a good bet. He is a smart fighter, he has a great footwork and i'm sure he will stick and move until he get some sign of tireness from the predataor before try to hurt him.
let's see, but i think this is the time to dare a good bet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back